1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Suprise Upgrade Yesterday

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Directvlover, May 23, 2010.

1. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Yesterday I had a tech out for a really simple job of just installing the DECA's and enabling MRV on my system. What I ended up getting was a brand new SWM LNB, 2 Brand New HR23-700's, a new pole, and a bunch of little extras. It was great. When the tech got to my house, I started telling him how I wanted him to re peak my dish as I thought it had drifted. Come to find out, my dish was mounted on the wrong type of pole to begin with. Apparently back when they had upgraded my dish from the 3 lnb to the 5lnb a few years ago, the tech at that time should have changed the pole...instead what he had done was wrap wire around the top of it to fatten it up so the bigger dish would fit. A big no no.. Geesh.....anyway...also the pole itself was only set about a foot below the surface. (shotty original install job). Anyway...so yesterday not only did the tech dig out the old pole and set a new one, but he replaced a bunch of connectors, wall plates and everything inside to make sure the system would work in top shape. Now the moment of truth came. The DECA's were installed, dish was aimed, time to boot up the receivers. 2 of my 3 HR20-100's were experiencing major problems on all SD channels. After some investigating we found that it was the actual receivers not liking the DECA's. So the tech went to his truck and brought in 2 brand new HR23's hooked them up and everything worked great. Not sure why 2 of the 3 HR20's didn't like the DECA's but they didn't...something i'm sure that Directv will find out as more DECA's are deployed.

Anyway, just wanted to share a great experience of a tech who took the time to get things done right and undo alot of shotty short cut's that the previous techs I have had to my house had done. Everything works great now...Great signals on all sats...MRV works awesome. No complaints.

2. joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    im new to all this. could you please tell me what deca's are?

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Simply, a DECA allows the satellite signal and ethernet traffic to travel on the same coax cable. When the signal reaches the DECA, it is split back out to a coax cable for the satellite signal and a ethernet cable for network traffic.

That way you can use Multi-Room Viewing between receivers even if you do not have your house wired for ethernet and you don't need to rely on using a wireless network adapter.

- Merg

4. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Probably because those 2 he replaced were HR20-100's and the tech didn't know how to make them work so he just replaced them. The -100's need a "special" hookup to function with the DECA's. What you will get though is a 2yr extension of your contract for the swap.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Since the HR20-100's are supposed to work with DECA you could probably fight any contract extension since your installer decided to replace them when they really didn't need to be. And if you have the protection plan that also eliminates the contact extension, my HR20-700 was replaced by a HR24 because the installer couldn't get it to work on a SWiM16. I checked with DirecTV, they said it caused a new agreement, I challanged them on that since I have the protection plan and they agreeded it was in error and there was no new contract.

6. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    Leased receivers that are faulty, protection plan or not, should not extend a contract. Even if they weren't actually faulty, they were in the tech's mind, thus no contract extension.

To the OP, if they do extend your contract, I would complain. If you don't a resolution, email Ellen at the VP's office.

7. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    Sounds like you had a great installer. I hope you tipped him well. Sounds like he really went over-and-above.

Jeff

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    "Probably" is the key word here. Sometimes ya win and sometimes ya lose. Protection plan technically only applies to equipment that has failed. The catch here is you are doing a "voluntary" upgrade to MRV and according to the MRV rules any receiver swaps due to adding MRV get a new agreement. I agree with your logic 100% but this is DirecTV. They are the same folks that if you ask 4 people the same question you get 5 different answers. :)

9. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    No actually the receivers were all hooked up correctly...like I said 1 out of the 3 HR20's works perfectly fine. It was the other 2 that didn't. So there truly is something up with some of the HR20's that doesn't like the DECA.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    But in this case the STB's were swapped, not due to not being compatible with SWiM, HR20-100's are, but because the installer couldn't get then to work in a valid config. That's a broken receiver (or install tech that didn't do it right), which should not result in a new commitment and if it does I'd be contacting Ellen's office to get it fixed if the customer doesn't want a new config.

11. rbrt67

rbrt67 Cool Member

May 25, 2010
    A possible problem is that the HR20's don't have enough power from the reciever to use DECA. You need a 2 way SWM splitter behind each one to power it. Check behind and make sure this is how it is hooked up. It is possible that your system may work for a while and then suddenly stop. It also happens sometimes when we are in such a hurry we forget to use the SWM power inserter. The recievers will power the SWM system for a week or so, then stop. If he didn't use a splitter behind the recievers, you may have to have a srevice call sometime in the future to install them.

12. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Yep...splitter is installed. In fact it wouldn't even power up without it.