1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greek International Channels Leaving?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jen621k, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 9, 2011 #1 of 13
    Jen621k

Jen621k New Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Hello all, tuned into my Greek channels today and a scrolling message appears saying Mega Cosmos (ch. 2162), Alter Globe (ch. 2164) and GMTV (ch 2165), will be leaving DirecTV at the end of the month. Does anyone know anything about what's going on and where are they jumping ship to? Calling directly gave me no information at all and it was expected especially if the channels are going back to Dish. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Mar 9, 2011 #2 of 13
    quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Looks like many international channels are leaving Directv and most of them end going to Dish. This is the reason i moved from directv to dish.

3. Mar 9, 2011 #3 of 13
    Jen621k

Jen621k New Member

Mar 9, 2011
    yeah it seems so, clicking on their home page they don't even list an option for it anymore and that was the main reason we went with Directv since '06 because the Greek channel we wanted (Mega) jumped ship from Dish, just wanted some confirmation on if they were actually going back there.

4. Mar 9, 2011 #4 of 13
    quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Call this Dish number 3037231000 to find out.

5. Mar 9, 2011 #5 of 13
    ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Direct apparently is cutting loose its non-profitable International channels.
    Their website still has these listed:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/international/overview

6. Mar 9, 2011 #6 of 13
    dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    It sucks. I am pretty far entrenched with DirecTV. I have too many DVRs to move from them. My daughter used to love watching Zouzounia and Lazopoulos was funny to watch.
    I might go with a DISH Greek only package. I'll get 2 receivers. The good thing is that I keep the same number of dishes on my house since the DirecTV international dish can come down.

7. Ziaka

Ziaka Mentor

Mar 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Rumors are that the Greek channels from DirecTV will move to Home2US satellite platform on April 1st.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hi Jen.

9. Apr 2, 2011 #9 of 13
    bones boy

bones boy Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    It's a drag that the international channels never last on D* except for the uber-successful ones (South Asian and Asian). Miss the Carribean channels.

10. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    You have to remember that DTV is there to make money. If they offer a service and it becomes un-profitable because nobody uses it, it goes away. This is standard practice for anyone that want's to stay in business.

11. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Check your bills folks. I usually don't check my bill (use autopay). DirecTV sees fit to charge me $29.99 for the Greek Direct package from 3/29-4/29. A package that they no longer carry.
    I checked my bill because I had cancelled Sunday Ticket last month and from years past, it usually takes more than 1 call to cancel Sunday Ticket. Wouldn't you know it, Sunday Ticket is still on my account. Now I have to deal with their CSRs and waiting on hold to cancel both of those packages. (One of which they don't even carry)

Grrrr...sometimes they really make it hard for me to like them. Tous Malakes.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Wouldn't you know it, just when I was planning on learning Greek! ;) Actually, I really don't like the fact that they can drop a package like this, when it might be the only reason you signed up with them. I don't know the OP's situation, but it seems like you should be able to get out of a commitment when they drop something major like that.

13. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    I agree with that statement.

For me the package was an afterthought. I was a Sunday Ticket subscriber. Also, with 12 DVRs, it would be very difficult for me to leave DTV.