1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green eSATA drives?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flapbreaker, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1 of 26
    flapbreaker

flapbreaker Mentor

Oct 21, 2007
    I was wondering if there is any problem with using these so called "green" energy saving drives with any of the HD DVR's? Also, if I plug an external drive in, can I at a later time unplug it and watch what was previously recorded on the internal drive?

2. Jun 6, 2009 #2 of 26
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Haven't paid too much attention to the green drives, but I don't recall any negative posts. The answer to your last question is: Yes. The shows recorded on your internal will remain and not be affected by your eSATA.

Rich

3. Jun 6, 2009 #3 of 26
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yes. The speed of the drive can vary widely depending on what part is being accessed. The performance or may not be acceptable on all areas. Make sure you do some research on the particular mechanism as used the way you plan to use it.
    Yes.

4. Jun 6, 2009 #4 of 26
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    green WD AV-GP drives work great. green specifically for DVR's.

5. Jun 6, 2009 #5 of 26
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Is the life expectency higher on those ?

& what is the life expectency on a regular esata external drive ?

6. Jun 6, 2009 #6 of 26
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    wow. WD 1TB AV-GP WD10EVCS was $95 the other day on buy.com with free shipping. $170+ today ...

7. Jun 6, 2009 #7 of 26
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    The HR22 has a 500gb WD GD from the factory.

8. Jun 6, 2009 #8 of 26
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Crap shoot.

Rich

9. Jun 6, 2009 #9 of 26
    vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    I'm confused (which is probably nothing new...). I thought the benefit of "green" drives was to park the heads when the drive was not in use, however with a DVR constantly buffering, when would the "green" part of the drive kick in?

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ah, there's the rub.

Rich

11. mnMark

mnMark Cool Member

Jun 8, 2008
    I am using a WD 1TB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure, and it has worked like a champ so far (9 months in).

rich584's point is quite valid...don't know when the 'green' kicks in, but it was a solid price when I bought it, and hasn't failed me. Gold star in my book :)

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All this "green" stuff is rather confusing. Be nice to get an explanation of exactly how the things save power. I think that is the point of "green", just as it was back in the '70s when all the power saving appliances were introduced. Back then, we put an "energy saver" air conditioner next to the same brand, same model A/C unit from the year before. The only difference we could find was that when the compressor shut off, so did the circulating fan. So if you put an amp probe on each, the "energy saver" model did read slightly less amperage than the previous years model. What the manufacturer didn't tell us was that the compressor ran more frequently because the fan kept shutting down. Putting an amperage recorder on each for 24 hours showed that the "energy saver" pulled more amps for the 24 hour period.

False advertising? Certainly puzzled us. And the A/C units weren't cheap ones. We tested the best window units we could buy (the kind the plant manager got in his office). Same compressor, same fan, just a slightly different control circuit to shut down the fan. With the case off, the two units looked identical.

So now, instead of "energy savers", we've got "green" this and that. And no clear definitions of how they got "green". They do seem to cost more and money is green...

Rich

13. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
  14. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I installed a 500GB WD Green drive in my (owned) HR21 about 2 months ago and have had no issues...

15. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Green Hard Drives are saving energy with a trade off...

1. Your biggest compromise will be in the "Average Read Speed" which will take between a 20-25% hit.

2. At least so far, the cache size has dropped on most green drives.. but they seem to have compensated for it in other ways because they are maintaining close to normal "burst speeds".

Overall the normal user will probably not notice the difference.

I have seen numbers that suggest an "average" user could save $10 annually per hard drive... which could add up if you have a lot of drives. This number would of course vary based on what you pay for power.. the article didn't specify, just said it was based on "average" costs.

I plan to make all my future drive purchases as green drives.

Larry

16. vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    I wasn't questioning the "greeness" of the WD drives - I was questioning their effectiveness in a DVR.

Here's how they work:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/greenpower/technology.asp

I use them in my homeserver where they are effective as it is plugged in 24-7. I have a test server and a regular use server, and when I compared the two over a week long test, the green drives did in fact consume less energy. I have since replaced the older drives in the test server with WD "green" drives.

The technology of a DVR is different from my server however. As that link explains, the primary savings come from parking the heads, which you will never be able to do with a DVR that is constantly recording to the buffer. The drives will perform fine as hard drives, but I don't think you will be able to enjoy their green effectiveness when using them in that environment.

17. RaceTripper

RaceTripper Legend

Sep 15, 2007
    +1
    (but at 6 months)

18. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Green drives are an interesting development. While they represent the possibility of energy savings, it is very dependent on the systems that they are used on.

Now that green drives exist, hardware that can actually make use of and maximize the energy savings possible with these drives will be developed. Until then the energy savings, while real, will be substantially less than they can be.

Larry

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That seems to be conclusion I've come to reading about them.

Rich

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Not sure about DTV DVRs, but Dish DVRs do not "constantly recording to the buffer", only if you watch or do recordings.