1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSN & Other Channel moves

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tv.fan, May 20, 2013.

1. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Where did GSN go or was it dropped ? Has there been other recent channel moves ?

2. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Gsn

3. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I went there and it is not there on MY HR22 - So I do not know if there is a glitch, but anyways if the channel is there, WHY ? that is PPV area... is DIRECTV purposely trying to destroy the ratings of the channel ?

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Its still on channels 233 and 71 here.

5. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    It is on neither here, I must have a reciver problem, but WTF why are they doing this MIRRORING BULLCRAP - that crap is nonsense and should be stopped on ALL channels, so our guides are not cluttered with repeated channels

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can remove any unwanted channels if you set up a custom guide.

7. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Does not matter, We do not need channels mapped to multiple locations, no other provider does that

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes they do. Many cable systems have the analog feed, digital feed, and HD feed all separate.

9. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    That is apples and oranges and not what I meant - I meant the same channel in same configuration - example GSN in SD is on 2 channels - Shopping channels & AUDIENCE channel and many more are on 3 or more channels in same configuration, is a waste

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What's it even matter? It's no extra bandwidth. Customize your guide.

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    All those shopping channels you refer to that are dual mapped in the 70s are paying DirecTV to be carried, either directly or via commission from purchases by subscribers. The more viewers who flip by them since they're right above the locals (the highest rated programming during primetime), the greater potential for income.

I'm not sure about GSN, it might be related to the shutdown of GSN Game Lounge. (i.e. a financial agreement, better positioning in exchange for the shutdown of the subscription based GSN Game Lounge)

Audience, well that's self explanitory, since DirecTV owns it and wants to compete with various networks, place it in various positions to get more viewers. (The old 101 position, at the beginning of entertainment on 239, right before the premium movies on 500, right before the sports on 601.)

As for no other provider doing that, I take it you never saw Time Warner's lineup in NYC or Cablevision. Time Warner mirrors multiple channels for each version of their package. i.e. all the English channels that are available in the Spanish packages are mirrored in the spanish range, the family package channels are mirrored in their own range. Cablevision does similar things with the english channels that have SAP feeds in the spanish packages, they mirror sports channels like Golf, Versus and NBA TV in their regular 100s position as well as in the 400s range where the sports pack is, along with a mess of mirrors related to HD channels (HD channels in both the 700s and their original numbers, along with mirrors of the SD counterparts in the 1000s)

12. tbirds118

tbirds118 Mentor

May 28, 2009
    A waste of what, exactly?

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think GSN on 71 is an error.

DirecTV wants to shove their (profitable) shopping channels down everybody's throat so not only do they have them scattered all over the guide (for folks too lazy to create custom lists and exclude them) but they also have them above the locals but below channel 100. These are just "mapping" channels as the same channels also appear elsewhere in the guide.

The only time I change from my 2 custom lists is when there is a free preview and as soon as I select shows to record I switch back to my custom list(s).

14. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I delete the home-shopping infomercial programming sandwiched between substantial content; in other words, in the Detroit area, I customize to go from ch. 62 (WWJ-TV, Ch. 62, CBS HD) to ch. 202 (CNN HD).

This stuff is there to help subsidize the expense of carrying other programming; so I'm just grateful we can customize the channel listings with the receivers. It would be hellish if we couldn't.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Been a while but last time I was at a friends house who had Dish many channels were reproduced in inconsistent and large blocks. Think it had something to do with multiple satellite arcs. Maybe that is cleaned up now but it confused the crap out of me.

Fios repeats many channels so they are together for people who have different packages. Primarily most of the lineup is reproduced in the Spanish area even though many of the channels are not Spanish. For example, USA is on 50 and 1500 in SD. Plus 550 in HD.

Oh. And Comcast mirrors its 500 range HD in the 800 range. They are verrrrrry slowly moving from 500s to 800s but in this area, at least, they haven't removed the 500 dupes.

So, sounds like directv does some of the least mirroring of the big players.

Facts are fun!

16. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    You are not quoting facts, you are quoting apples and oranges, changing channle location based on packages is not multiple mirroing location on that persons tv - mirroing needs to be stopped - when it shows same channel in multi locations on same lineup

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No. They are mirrored. You don't know facts if they hit you in the face. I get all the fios USA network channels I quoted. Comcast customers get all the dupes in the 500s and 800s, if they are in their package. The Dish example I gave had all the dupes turned on as well. No different than directv mirroring but a lot more.

You are just ranting and still haven't said what is wasteful or why it needs to be stopped.

You do know it takes up no extra bandwidth, right? It is just a trick of the guide data.

18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I came here thinking that they actually move that particular channel but it was nothing but a rant, why did I waste my time reading this?

19. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Mods should just close this thread, unless it actually happens.