Guide Data on OTA "Repacked" Channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Michael P, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Is Dish working on resolving the guide data issue on repacked channels? I now have 3 sets of RF signals where only the "host" channel's guide data is correct. The piggy-backed channel has the correct call letters but incorrect network and guide data in every case.

2. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Yep, that will happen with any station that is sharing a channel with another station. I don’t think Dish is doing anything about it.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have not seen anything in the Uplink Activity that I believe would help. The problem is having two stations on the same physical channel.

DISH identifies OTA channels by TSID and virtual subchannel. For example,
    9-02 WWOR2 TSID 0x07E3, Subchannel 02
    48-02 WRNN2 TSID 0x086B, Subchannel 02
    If a DISH receivers sees a physical channel transmitting TSID 0x07E3 it will match any subchannel 2 seen with the EPG for "WWOR2". With WWOR and WRNN sharing a physical channel, both sub channel 2s will show the same EPG.

DISH needs a better way of identifying the feeds. They could try to match by name ... they would need the exact name used by the station for each subchannel (and if two subchannels had the same name both would get the same EPG). Or they could match by physical subchannel. Looking at WWOR/WRNN ...
    PMT PID 48 (0x0030) - Program 9.1 WWOR-TV
    PMT PID 80 (0x0050) - Program 9.3 Buzzr
    PMT PID 96 (0x0060) - Program 9.4 Heroes
    PMT PID 112 (0x0070) - Program 48.1 WRNN-HD
    PMT PID 128 (0x0080) - Program 48.2 Stadium
    PMT PID 144 (0x0090) - Program 48.3 Arirang
    Matching by name would fail (since the names are used on other stations nationwide). While that would be a quick way to provide EPG for every channel named Buzzr nationwide, there would be problems with channels that have separate time zone feeds and stations who preempt their subchannels for other content. Matching by physical channel would be the better method.

This method of matching also affects translators - if the station isn't using the same TSID and subchannels as the source there will not be a match. Also if a station is retransmitting a different TSID there will be no match or a match to a completely different station's feed. Stations moving should keep their old TSID - so they should not be affected by the repack. But stations becoming a guest will get their host's EPG until DISH figures this out.

It is not impossible to fix, but it will require firmware updates and database updates. If I see Uplink Activity database updates I'll know that they are working on it.

BTW: Phase 5 ends today (Sept 6th). Phase 6 testing begins Saturday with stations required to be off of their old channels by Oct 18th.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Ours have been messed up for months. The only thing correct are a few diginets that have guides.