Guide issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fudpucker, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1 of 11
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Not sure if this belongs in General or here - New Genie HR44 so we're setting up recordings. Was looking though the guide on BBCA and noticed a couple of nights from now a show on 007 - but it appeared to run non-stop for days! Looked and for some reason my guide for many channels had, starting around Saturday morning, so about 3-4 days from now, a lot of Upcoming: (name of show) and Title Not Available in the guide for a lot of channels. This weekend the guide was fine all the way through two weeks.

Is the guide messed up for everyone a few days from now or just me?

2. Sep 2, 2014 #2 of 11
    John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I think you need to give the guide at least 24-48 hours to fully download new guide data. Should be correct after that. This is also needed anytime you reboot the DVR twice within a short period of time as it flushes out the guide data.

3. Sep 2, 2014 #3 of 11
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Thanks, but the system has been installed for about a week, and the guide data was fine yesterday. That's what has me puzzled.

4. Sep 2, 2014 #4 of 11
    mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    Did your receiver download an update, menu settings, info to check. I have definitely never had this issue but some updates could cause this....

5. Sep 2, 2014 #5 of 11
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    huh - i'm in the room with the mini, looked there, where would I look to see if there was an update and when it came? System was installed about a week ago and he updated the latest update then.

6. Sep 2, 2014 #6 of 11
    mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    You would probably need to look on the genie

Menu, settings, then info

Will be on the right center corner version and date

7. Sep 2, 2014 #7 of 11
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Also, if the box spontaneously rebooted for some reason, then the guide data would need to repopulate again.

8. Sep 2, 2014 #8 of 11
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    OK, looked it up on the Genie, no update since the one when he installed it.

So I assume I just live with it and wait for it to repopulate. Kind of a pain because we'll be going out of town and I wanted to browse through and record some things while we were gone.

9. Sep 2, 2014 #9 of 11
    mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    Definitely unusual, I know what you mean, the day I got the genie I had to wait to schedule some of my series links for the same reason, but only lasted the first day

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The guide actually downloads somewhat faster than that. What takes time is the background indexing that the DVR does before that guide data is allowed to appear. Indexing is a low-level task that happens most of the time. If you are recording two shows and playing back a couple more, indexing may even slow down so that high-level tasks don't get delayed.

Indexing is a way of taking a multi-valued data point and creating a new value that represents it as a single data point, which means it can then be searched very quickly (multi-valued metadata can only be searched by one data point at a time, so a single search for data that has 20 data points can take 20 times as long because it is effectively 20 searches in a row, and a show listing on a DVR can have 20-25 different metadata points). Web-crawling search engines like Google do much the same thing so that you can search the web very quickly. If Google lost its indexing somehow, it might take months for it to be quick again. PC HDDs can also benefit somewhat from indexing routines, but for a media server or a DVR they are just what the doctor ordered.

If we did not have that capability in our DVRs it would take ~30-90 seconds to populate the guide every time you scrolled down or back and forth. Same with the program list. Both are not kept in storage anywhere, but need to be created on the fly from the database each time, so when you click to the next page on the guide it needs to fetch from the database 90 minutes of programs on 7 channels all at once (listings for up to 21 programs) and then draw the guide page incorporating that data each time, and it is the background indexing that allows this to seem nearly instantaneous. And you may notice it takes longer when those promotional banners are included.

You may also notice it isn't quite instantaneous. If that info were all ready to go without the need for building it into the EPG each time, then the page would display before you could take your finger off the button, rather than half a second after that. When you navigate from a program at 7 PM on one channel in the guide and then scroll to a new channel just below, notice that it takes a beat before the description changes, and of course it does that because it is fetching that data in real time from the DB. The pointer created duting indexing shows it how to get to that data quickly, even with a relatively slow CPU and from a HDD that caches all the metadata for 9 days of shows on 700 different channels at any time.

So when the guide gets flushed, indexing starts all over again, and can take a while. But, since indexing can only happen at a particular rate which is pretty slow, the actual program stream that delivers it can be small and very slow as well, and it is. And since the data is updated regularly and shows now in the past flushed regularly, that makes it take even longer, like trying to organize a drawer while people are constantly removing and replacing items.

1 person likes this.
  11. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    That was a great explanation; thanks. That may also have something to do with why they have only 1.5 hours across on the guide, perhaps their routines aren't as fast as Dish's.