1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lacubs, Nov 19, 2018.

1. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    for the last month every week mine guide gets flushed automatically, it's always come back in that 48-72 window, but what could be causing? thanks

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Guide on what equipment? On multiple devices?
    Do you have your box plugged into a 'smart' plug or something else that may be causing it to restart?

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Even if it reboots the guide data should be there for the next 12-24 hours of tv.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Plug in an electric digital clock in the same socket / power strip. Make sure it does not have a battery backup in it. Next time it resets see if the time letters are blinking on the clock. If the numbers are blinking the power went out at some time.
    These DVRs are very sensitive to any power change. I had a similar problem years ago and a UPS solved my problem.

5. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    its plug into a power strip , i know we have power issues in the house , but i don't trust UPS backup because i use them for pcs they never seems to work , plus i can't really do much own because I have CP, So i reliable help

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check the power strip for the word Green.
    It could also be color coded Green. Some of the Green power strips have just certain sockets that are Green. If yes, move the plug to a socket that is NOT Green.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You should be able to trust the UPS devices, I do and I've never had a problem with mine. Here's a link to the UPS device I use in several locations: Costco Wholesale

This UPS device will handle your TV set and the devices that are peripheral to it.

If you're aware of electrical problems in your home you should put a UPS device on your TV system. A UPS might/will solve your problem. It will surely protect your equipment. I've used them for years...no problems.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm with Rich. I've had a UPS on my DVR and my wireless router for about six months. We get occasional power blinks in the house, and the UPS' work perfectly each time. No more rebooting and rebuilding the Guide.

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  9. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    thank for your help , but i nothing but headaches with UPS, maybe i don't understand how use them lol, but i had like 5 them, and all them for my computer died within 6 months

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Don't know which ones you had or how you had them hooked up,
    but,
    for these TV systems the main thing you are concerned with is keeping the receiver from getting a power interruption.
    I have 3 systems. One on each system. Put them in place in 2009. The batteries died this year and I had to replace them. They are still working.
    When you get one you hook up the terminals on the battery, plug the AC power cord into the wall socket. Now it is just like a big Power Strip. Plug the receiver into an outlet that has Battery Backup ( some receptacles are for surges only ).

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had the UPS devices I linked to in a previous post for years with no problems. If you don't know how to hook one up come here, someone will help you.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have my TVs hooked to them too. I think that's important. I couldn't hook up the plasmas, too much current draw. The new sets draw a lot less.

The UPS devices I linked to have the batteries in place when you purchase them. You're right, it is just like using a power strip.

Rich

13. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    UPS -Bigger is always Better - I use 1500 + Extended Battery - Everything is connected to Battery Backup only ports on the ups
    Currently-connected 70 led tv+Blu ray+ AVR HR54- it will hold - while in use - over 2 hours and 30 min.

Giving me plenty of time to see if I need to brake out the portable Generator.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We have a whole home generator, kicks in in less than 20 seconds. The UPS devices rarely need new batteries.

Rich

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That's Nice - For me living in the woods for past 18 years - the longest outage we had was 18 hours at one time - most other times -The power Snaps off and on -when the Power lines get hit (somewhere) - during our latest snow storm -we were out for 2 i/2 hours.

I would have a WH Gen -However - Should a Long outage occur or say for a society break down -Getting Fuel for up keep is one issue - Having a Generator Running -would lead all the "HAVE NOTS" right to your door (see)
    Every disaster Movie ever made -

I would rather Just wait in the dark and pick'e off one at a time :)

sangs likes this.
  16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The soundproof enclosures they make these days make it hard to hear a running generator 20' away. But I digress.

17. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Silly question, my UPS is making a clicking noise on and off every few seconds, I put it in the garbage, but now I’m thinking, are there batteries in there that might need to be changed or is it kaput?

18. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Yes there is a rechargeable battery. They're not cheap but they're less than the cost of a new UPS. Last go-round I put in a 3rd party battery that was much less costly than the OEM one.

jimmie57 likes this.