1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide showing "to be announced" on a lot of channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    My wife noticed a number of regular channels showing "to be announced" last night, and she told me about it just a few minutes ago, and it is both HR24's too, if that helps. It appears to be only SD channels, but like I said, it is a number of very common channels. First time I've seen this outside of when it's a new receiver. Any suggestions or feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You could try two menu resets within 30 minutes which will flush your guide data.

3. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    O.k. thanks!
    Isn't it a bit strange that both receivers are exhibiting this same behavior though?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    check your SAT levels from 101 & 119. This can happen when you have one of them blocked, or low signals, as the guide info comes from them.

5. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    101 is fine....all 90's and some 100's. I don't see the 119, SL3 LNB. Anything else cause this?

6. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    That did fix the problem....thanks! Now to figure out what caused it.

7. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    It's a known issue regarding the Guide cache and the HR24 series receivers. D* is working on a fix. :)

8. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Ah....thanks!
    Just came to see if anyone thought it was maybe an intermittent LNB issue, since dish alignment wasn't the cause. I knew it had to be some common denominator.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    For it was a sign of a bad connection to my dish.

10. setox

setox Cool Member

Dec 25, 2007
    i had the same issue i had to redo the setup with the dish i had selected that fixed it and reset the receiver a few times

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, TDK1044 has knowledge that it is a known issue, but of course other issues could cause this, but my dish alignment is good, my 101 numbers are excellent, and I've done the reset twice on both receivers, so I guess it's just a wait and see for me. I appreciate everyone's input. :)

12. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    whats a menu reset? i am having the problem

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Forget the exact series of menu selections, but it's just a restart option via the menu.

14. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Menu>Setup>System Setup>Reset>Restart Receiver

15. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    I am having this issue on my HR24 DVR too, my H23 and SD receivers are fine they never show "to be announced. It seems to only be the HR24 DVR in the living room, after a reboot it seems to repopulate, but I've had to do this a few times now. I figure its not a signal thing since every other receiver is getting its programming updates just fine.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Swap the connections at the switch and see where the problem goes. If it doesn't move, it's box, if it moves, it's LNB. If it disappears you had lose connection.

17. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Its happening on 2 of my HR20's as well.

Quite frankly it is making me nervouse because guide data issues in the past have caused havoc with the HR's on at least 3 occaisons. And by havoc, I mean they lockup and fail to function until they get either a RBR or PTP. :(

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure where "it's a know issue" is coming from.
    I checked my HR20 & HR24 and both have their "to do list" going out 10+ days.

19. PSXBatou

PSXBatou Mentor

Sep 5, 2010
    Dumb question, where is this switch you speak of?

The part I don't get is since the boxes are connected to the internet why doesn't the box just fetch guide data from the internet when its available? It's a bit odd to go to every TV in the house and they all have guide data, then you go to the living room HR24 and all the SD channels say "to be announced".. The HD channel guide info is fine, its just the SD guide info that seems to bug out.

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have had the issue as well (last night in fact). Easily cleared up, but makes me nervous that recordings could be missed. Although, if this is true, I won't miss anything I care about:

I haven't made note of what channels the issue is on, so I cannot confirm that it is only the SD channels (but I hope that's the case).