1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gulfport / Biloxi Dish Locals

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by theplunger53, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 8, 2006 #1 of 18
    theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Is there any word if the Gulfport / Biloxi area will have locals with the addition of Echostar X at 110? When will Echostar X be at it's home at 110? Thanks :)

2. Apr 8, 2006 #2 of 18
    ftbstrd

ftbstrd New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I'm not sure about that, but I talked Directv into letting me have all the Local stations they offered. Even though they're NY & LA channels, I don't watch them for the news. They gave me CBS & NBC about a year ago because they are out of state. (AL & FL) I was told there was a 70 mile rule. If your station is within 70 miles they can't give it to you without the station's conscent. But that doesn't apply if its out of state. EXPL. (Mobile NBC or Pensacola CBS) But ABC & FOX had to wait until after the storm. After a couple of sob stories they waived the conscent forms.

3. Apr 8, 2006 #3 of 18
    theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006

Neat story. I have a Tivo Series 2 and Dish Network Receiver. I don't have a major need for the locals yet. I just want to be on top of the rummor of Dish getting them with the start of the new Echostar 10.

4. Apr 8, 2006 #4 of 18
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    I am keeping an eye out for news on the addition of both Biloxi-Gulfport and Laurel-Hattiesburg locals. My brother-in-law lives in the Laurel-Hattiesburg market. In investigating the possibility of Dish Network locals, I learned that Dish had scoped out locations for their Point of Presence (POP). The surprising thing is that they were doing signal strength tests for not only Laurel-Hattiesburg, but also Biloxi-Gulfport.

Since significantly viewed has passed Congress, the ability for one of these markets to share the missing affiliates with the stations from the other market is possible. Laurel-Hattiesburg has CBS and NBC. Biloxi-Gulfport has ABC and FOX. In all likelihood, both markets will release simultaneously and will probably receive WDAM, WHLT, WLOX, WXXV and Mississippi PBS, with the possibility of receiving other significantly viewed channels depending on your county of residence.

Keep an eye out in this forum. If we find out that there is clear indication of the locals coming to either market, it will probably be posted here in this forum. Also, you can check www.dishchannelchart.com for the latest news regarding new and upcoming channels.

Personally, if I were running Dish, I would have put top priority in getting Biloxi-Gulfport added as a kind gesture to all those affected by Katrina.

5. Apr 9, 2006 #5 of 18
    Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    Why does everyone have to use Huricane Katrina as a pretext for everything? Ray-cyst Nagin illegally ordered the confiscated firearms from law abiding citizens because of Katrina. FEMA says they need more funding because of Katrina. Congress says FEMA does a $hitty job and should have their funding cut, because of Katrina. DVR owners say that E* should get rid of DVR fees because of Katrina. Pat Robertson tells people to go to church and pray, because of Katrina. And now E* is supposed to add locals for certain markets, because of Katrina.

6. Apr 9, 2006 #6 of 18
    theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006

Wow! Well... You're all over the map there. lol. Katrina was no fun. I do live on the Gulf coast. E* should have already had locals here. We've waited long enough. I hope it will be worth the wait and have them on 110. So, I don't have to upgrade the Dish 500. And E* should have a DVR... Just pay TiVo for the use of there product. I have a Tivo, and I'm a little bias. lol. Nagin did some wrong things, yes indeed, and he'll may have to pay for them in the next election.

Thanks for everyone's responce. :)

7. Apr 9, 2006 #7 of 18
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Wow! I didn't expect to get such a response on my closing comment.

I should further clarify that statement. Dish Network has been in the early stages of planning to add Laurel/Hattiesburg and Biloxi/Gulfport locals prior to Katrina's arrival. Given that the hurricane knocked out several dozen cable systems in SE Mississippi, Dish had a golden opportunity to deal a severe blow to them by adding the locals within two to three weeks after the damage was done (when the stations were up and running again). This would have given Dish a GREAT competitive advantage in these two markets.

It also would have been some good news for a lot of people who have suffered losing a lot.

As to the bad political garbage surrounding Katrina, don't worry. FEMA will be restructured more efficiently and Nagin and Gov. Blanco will most likely be voted out in the next election. Also, Pat Robertson is not taken very seriously by a lot of Christians, because of the nutty things he says.

8. Apr 9, 2006 #8 of 18
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Maybe with the launch of the new echostar 10 satellite with 49 spotbeams last month , we will finally get the rest of the sd locals done for the rest of the country. I too am waiting for my locals to go up and I am also on the gulf coast and we were hit a month after Katrina by the OTHER HURRICANE: RITA!!

Beaumont/Pt.Arthur, Texas dma 138.

9. Apr 9, 2006 #9 of 18
    theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Start Rant lol :lol:

I've been trying to read some. Dish seems to be moving super dish and others to the new E*10. Also, to push for a one dish answer in some markets. Plus they are talking about HD locals!! What about the rest of the regular locals? It seems like Dish is always playing catch up. It's poor planning mixed with FCC rules. It's like they see us as a very costly 5% of the pie. They use any excuse to put us on the back burner. We should be the first one's to go one the new E*10. Then bring in your 61.5 / 148 (one dish answer)... then bring in your SD 105. If their is room SD 121. I've read that 129 is kind of week (maybe just in may area, I don't know). Why don't they move it to 119 or 110? They should stop playing with those sats that need a big dish. (105 121 and that new one that's going to be around 119)

Is there a map out, of those 49 spot beams E*10 is going to have? I want to check if the MS gulf coast is going to be a blind spot. :mad:

Yes, I'm aware that some channels have unreasonable demands for Dish, and they are not picked up or are moved to the back of the line. I don't think WLOX, WXXV is one of those.

But you know what? Right now, locals are not a issue. :lol: :lol: ;)
    It would just be nice. :D

End of Rant. lol :lol:

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Spotbeam Maps Page: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/297
    http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/echo10contourcloseup.gif

Some of E10's spots will have less than full usage until the FCC works out a conflict between E* and D* over the use of spots on E*'s licensed frequencies that are adjacent to D*'s licenses. However none of the coastal spotbeams appear to be using the problem transponders. (Spot 17 in Southern Texas will be unusable and Spot 01 in Texas will not be able to use three out of four of its transponders but the other costal spots should be fine.)

11. theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    I see that I'm in three different spot beams via the map. With the cable Co. here, you can also get New Orleans and Mobile locals. What are the spot beams in my area numbered and is the moving to E*10 for New Orleans and Mobile going fine or will go fine? Thanks.

12. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    I threw a softball on that one because I didn't want to turn this into a Pat Robertson bashing thread. But please feel free to jump on over to the potpori forum and start another well deserved Pat Robertson bashing thread, if you feel so inclined.

13. theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Update:

Well it looks like 3 other markets are going to have locals; but, still not Gulfport, MS.
    I called the local sat. installer, to see if they have any news, they said the local cable co. has a contract with the local channels here. They didn't know when that contract would be up. I called the local cable co. to ask them some questions. They were most unforthcoming. I'm still looking for answers. :( Who is causing the delay?

14. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    New markets are added on a WIGD (When it gets done) basis.

15. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    theplunger53,

Actually, it could be due to a number of factors. Several locals were moved to the new spotbeam serving MS and AL on Echostar 10, including Jackson, Tupelo-Columbus, Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile. As a result, there is no extra space on that spotbeam on the new satellite. Having said that, Birmingham was on an old 119 spot, which might cover Biloxi-Gulfport and Laurel-Hattiesburg. However, that spot might be reserved for HD locals in the future.

Your best bet is to try to contact the station engineer for WLOX and WXXV and see if they have any information about when they'll be added to Dish. They will be the ones in the know. If you do get an answer, please post it to this thread. My brother-in-law is moving from Collins to somewhere on the coast, possibly Biloxi, Gulfport or Ocean Springs, and would like to know as well.

16. theplunger53

theplunger53 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    They emailed me back and both said after the first of the year. WLOX said it will only be High Def. Bad news for me. :(

17. quirkykarma

quirkykarma Cool Member

Jun 4, 2006

It just stinks that this area still can't get local channels from either Sat. Company, and the waivers seem to always get denied......ftbstrd, who did you tell your sob stories to?

We're probably going to cancel our Directv service since we can't get locals and the waivers were denied.... We're not sure if the cable company can even provide cable to the trailer we're in, since it's never been connected here before......

This is all so frustraiting and confusing.....:confused:

18. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    I realy wouldn't worry about not being able to get locals. The major networks don't carry any programing worth watching for the most part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.