1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys, should this thing concern me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tallgntlmn, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I am moving as I have stated before. My choice for DirecTV is either to put my dish up or go DirecPath. I'd rather do the latter so I am not limited to where my TV needs to be due to cabling. I inspected today and found the place is wired with Cat 5e which covers the ethernet component even if I have to reconfigure it for ethernet vs phone.

I found the splitter in the pic connected to all the coax lines. Sorry for the quality of the pic, hopefully it's "good enough." Is this thing compatible with SWM, etc? If not, what do I need to insist that the installer put in? If nothing, I will check to see if there is signal. If nothing is required and there is signal, I am not even going to call DP. If it's not compatible, I guess I have no choice but to call for install.

Let me know what you think? As I said, this is a DirecPath community so I would hope this splitter is DTV approved.

Attached Files:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Nope, not SWM-compatible. That's your typical Cable TV splitter there. You want the SWS-2, SWS-4, or SWS-8 splitters (http://www.solidsignal.com). If you're planning to have the Whole Home DVR service, be sure they're "green labeled" splitters.

3. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Is it DTV approved? Probably not.

Will it work? No. It's rated 5-3000mhz I believe which is missing the communication frequency which is 2mhz. It's close to what you need but not exactly. I assume you have HD equipment with a SWiM install.

4. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks man, I was afraid of that. Hmmm, wonder why that animal would be in a place served by a satellite service?

I do have the whole home DVR but currently on ethernet for that. I guess I have no choice but to call DP to get this hooked up correctly for HD and MRV.

Yes, I have HD but not SWM where I am now with my dish on the patio. No need at first and I was able to run a third line for the H24. I never got around to getting SWM. I will make sure they replace it so I can have the benefits of SWM and possibly DECA even though I have access to MRV via ethernet.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While "not approved" even that splitter would work with SWiM. The difference between 5 MHz [the low end] and the 2.3 MHz comm singal losses is so minimal as to be not an issue.
    Going with the coax network [DECA] is a completely different issue though as the correct splitter MUST BE USED and are indicated by the green label. These have been modified for the DECA to pass through them.

6. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks VOS. I think given the feedback, I will be carrying a TV and a H24 over there this weekend to see if I even need to call DP. I'd rather not muck around with my D* account. Lord only knows how 9 months left on a commitment, using DP, and being part of a subforum here would affect things. If there is signal and all is well, I will just take the risk. I am not using DECA yet. Given the cat 5e in the walls, I can keep my MRV on ethernet.

7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Haha. I knew it would work. I typed that at first, and then litz said it wouldn't and I second guessed myself. The pictured splitter even has a power passing port so he's good there. :lol::lol::lol:

8. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_111336-1270...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=cable splitter

Im using this :up:splitter with my SWM LNB right now with no issues. A friend of mine had the DTV installed splitter burn out and instead of waiting for a service call he just picked up this :down:splitter and was up and running in no time.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_251906-12704-85-334_0_?productId=3197007&Ntt=cable+spliter&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=cable%20spliter$y=0$x=0&spellCorrectedTerm=cable%20splitter

I'd anticipate problems with Direcpath trying to get them to accommodate your whole home setup anyways. I would stick with ethernet for the immediate future and just see what happens.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That first splitter is only rated for 1 GHz :nono2:
    "If it works" you're lucky and "I'd bet" another one wouldn't.
    I've tested similar splitters and one barely works while another exact same model doesn't, since it rolls off above SWiM channels 5. :nono:

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    is that splitter your only entry point? What's on the other end - are you sure you have enough SWiM channels? Are you in a situation where a band stop filter should be used on the splitter?

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If he is then that splitter would need to go for DECA to work decently anyway.

12. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm thinking that way too based on a thread I have in the Connected Home area. I would need at least two DECAs. DirecPath says they will have whole-home DVR (they didn't know the term MRV) available on the 22nd. Gee, a day after I move. I wil be able to hook up OTA for the night of the 21st if there is no signal. If I have to get DP involved, I will be begging for a HR24 to replace my 22 at the time of install. I will have some cash too. LOL!

From what I have seen, DP is just DirecTV installers going on the roof and hooking up SWMLine dishes. I caught one at another property and he was a DirecTV installer. OTOH, I am going to check for signal first and we'll see if I even need to get them involved.

13. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    This splitter is in a closet so point of entry is assumed by me. I know nothing more than that yet. I have only two receivers now. I am ethernet MRV now as well. So the more advanced with DECA is all for support as far as that goes. Am I correct in thinking i only need two channels for the DVR and single tuner receiver?

14. TITAN_53

TITAN_53 Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    I may have linked the wrong one. The splitter I am using is the same as the second linked splitter only it's 2 way instead of 4 way.

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    look closely. it's 5-3000.

16. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I bought several of those 4-5 years back and work fine .
    No problems with an MFH-1 system that needed > 2100 MHz headroom.

Doctor j

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Is this close enough?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• aspt.PNG
      aspt.PNG
      File size:
      177.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    That's not even close to the splitter he linked? I'm talking about the picture in the original post.

The one pictured is a 4 way splitter rated 5-3000mhz with a power passing port in the bottom left.

Obviously a splitter rated 5-1000 (typical cable splitter) would not work with SWM.

The one he linked is closer to this.

[​IMG]

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What link are you following? :confused:
    Here's what I get: http://www.lowes.com/pd_111336-1270...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=cable splitter

And the picture is a screen shot of it. :confused:

Think you're mixing up posts.
    The OP posted a functioning splitter, which I also said would work.
    The later post about the Lowes 2-way splitter is what was a 1 GHz splitter that I'm saying shouldn't be used.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    By "channels" I'm really talking about tuners from your perspective. So with one normal receiver and one DVR, you will need 3 channels (of 8 possible). If that is the entry point, you will definitely want to put a band stop filter on the splitter input to keep DECA from leaking out. The next thing you need to be certain of is how many channels you have access to. If this is a shared environment, you may be limited in the number of SWiM channels available or they may give you a full bank of 8.

I'm not exactly sure how your situation is set up, just verify that there are channels available to you. With your tuner situation, you only need three channels.

If you replace that pictured splitter with a green 4-way, you can send two outputs off to the DVR & Receiver, terminate one output and use the last output for your broadband DECA .. or alternatively use a 2-way green splitter in the closet and then add another 2-way at either the receiver or the DVR to split off your broadband DECA - whichever way is most convenient.