1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20-100 How can I force a Satellite Auto Detect?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by WTNewton, May 28, 2013.

1. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    I have acquired a H20-100 reciever with a card.
    I Have not activated it to my account yet.
    It seems to work, but it will only allow me to select my dish as a LNB 3, while what I have is a SWM3 (SL3S-4NR2-02 LNB).
    I get channels 100, 125, 200, 9515 ( directv cinema previews)

I tried to do a software update and it started and ran for quite awhile .... it stopped at section 4/288/30 and shut off with and error message of

Unable to download software ....
    0000-0000

Tried loading 3 times with same result.

I also did a full reset of the box back to factory settings .... the self check for satelite installation tells me:

Sat 101 - ok
    Sat 110 - failed
    Sat 119 - failed
    Tuner - ok

Channels

9501 = Sat a(100) odd txp 13v
    9502 = Sat a(100) even txp 18v
    9513 = 119(odd) Searching continuously
    9514 = 119(even) Searching continuously

maybe this receiver will not work with SWM? I got it free, but if I cannot get it to work correctly with SWM, I will just trash it.

Thanks in advance for info and help...

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It most definitely will work with SWM, but you may have some problems getting it to work properly for you. If that receiver hasn't been used for a long time, it will have very old software. You're right to try to update it, but you're going to have two big problems.

First, the software for H20 isn't broadcast all the time. You can check when it is or was last broadcast on http://www.redh.com/dtv/ but it isn't all that often. Its actually being broadcast right now, not that this helps you by the time you read this :)

Second, if the software on it is very out of date, you won't be able to configure it for SWM until the software is updated, but if that's the case you would only be able to get it to update when hooked up to a legacy dish. Kind of a catch-22 if you have a SWM LNB. Hopefully you know someone with a legacy dish, and can park it at their house for a few days hooked up to their WB68 or to a legacy port on a SWM8 or SWM16. Otherwise, you probably aren't going to be able to get it working.

3. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    it is interesting what you have told me ....
    I had the box on, hooked up, and watching channel 100...
    decided to try SW load again ... and when it failed again, i just pressed the reset button... and it went back to channel 100 again after doing its startup satelite search etc...
    then the box asked permission to switch channels to do an update.... I said ok ... and away it went and updated. the box now has SW load 0x4237 in it.
    I then went to the dish setup and it had selected the right dish and SWM switch.
    I then checked the signals and the following sats all read above 85 ... 101, 99(c), 99(s), 103(ca), 103(cb), SWM, (99(s) has some tx's at 70).

I think I am ready to call Directv in the morning and see if they will activate this box and send me a new card! ... it all looks good to me.

Is there anything I am missing here?

Thanks for your input (I guess i lucked out and got that SW download just by chance!)

4. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The only "real" issue was that you had to wait for the current H20 software to be in the stream. The software is on the 101 slot, so since you were receiving that, it downloaded once it was available.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Few are familiar with the round-robin approach that DIRECTV has adopted to software streaming so it is good that you bring this up.

6. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    I doubled checked this H20-100 box today, and it looks like all is still ok concerning satellite reception, set up, and software loads. I just needs a card ...

I have been doing the same thing today with a R22-100 DVR I have. It appears ok too as far as satellite reception and set up. It is doing its up to date software load now as I type. As soon as it finishes, I will recheck it and then call DirecTv to see if these boxes can be activated.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

7. WTNewton

WTNewton New Member

May 15, 2013
    Ocotillo...
    Directv says they will not activate either box, as they are both leased ....
    Oh well, at least I know my SWM setup works!

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Check your PM before you throw out that H20-100!