1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20-100 - Please Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Smthkd, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    So, last Thursday I wake up in the middle of the night to the flash of a burning H20-600 receiver. Called D* and they send me a refurb H20-100. Now, I have aways had a total of 3 HD receivers (1 HR20-700; 1 H20-600 and this refurb H20-100 replaces older H20-600). My problem is I have a 4x4 multi-switch and have been able to receive all HD programming just fine, but this refurb H20-100 will not pick up Odd Tp on Sat 101 nor Even Tp's on Sat 119 and the MPEG4 sats no signal at all. I keep getting a error that I have a bad Multi-switch but my other HD receivers are working fine!!! I am so confused!:confused: Do I need a 6x8 Multi-switch or is this a problem with the refurb H20-100?:( I have tried my other HD receiver in all locations and its not having this issues? Any help is appreciated!:(

2. satwood

satwood DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 11, 2006
    My first suggestion would be to try bypassing the multi-switch and runa line directly from an LNB port to that H20. Reset everything and try re-configuring it. If it still is exibiting the behavior you describe, I believe you have a bad tuner in the box. However, if it now works, it could be a setup thing, or it could also be a problem with that mutiswicth port, or with DC power going through the cable.

I run my H20 directly off an LNB port. My previous 2 H20-100s had numerous issues with missing signals on tps and erratic tuning behavior so I have personally seen similar symptoms.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Your 4x4 multiswitch is not compatible with the new satellite signals, you have to have a Zinwell WB68 or WB616. You should have had a new multiswitch installed when the dish was upgraded to the 5-lnb; call DirecTV and tell them you have the wrong multiswitch and they will come and install a new one for you.

You may easily be having other problems but without the correct multiswitch it's difficult to diagnose.

4. steveken

steveken Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    You people do realize that this person might be talking about the 4x4 built into the dish, right? And if he/she isn't talking about the one that is built into the dish (otherwise referred to as the "LNB port" by satwood which is nothing more than a port off the built-in multi-switch in the dish assembly) then the correct response would probably be to remove any external multi-switches because they are completely extraneous. Why would you need a second multi-switch with the same number of ports as the one that is built into the LNB assembly?

Now, if the person IS talking about the multi-switch built into the LNB assembly, and the other receiver worked just fine prior to blowing up, then the answer could be two things. One, the receiver has a bad tuner in it. Or two, that the port off the LNB has gone bad. It was made to sound like the second option might have been ruled out because they moved another known working receiver and plugged that cable into it and get a proper signal.

So, with that said, no, you don't need a 6x8 multi-switch if all you are using is 3 receivers with a total of 4 inputs as the default ability of the dish is to run 4 separate tuners at once. If you go to anything beyond 4, however, you will need a new multi-switch. Judging by what you are saying I would believe that you have a bad "refurbished" receiver and you should go ahead and call D* back up and tell them what is going on. Be sure to ask to be bumped up to tier 2 tech support to get a little bit better help than from the standard CSR's that answer the phone. Who knows, you might be able to talk them into a free service call to look at it since it is a "new" box (well, to you anyway) and that it should work just fine out of the box.

5. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    This is what tech services told me! my 4x4 is external and they say its not powerful enough nor compatible to properly handle all three HD receivers. As mention before I have never had this problm before getting the H20-100. My father just got the same receiver today and he is having the same problem! Thanks for all your suggestions, the service tech should be here today to install the Zinwell WB68! I'll heep you updated on the progress!

6. steveken

steveken Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    But you DON'T NEED IT! Again, if you have the slimline dish that handles all the satellites like the new 103(b), you already have the RIGHT 4x4 built into it. The only benefit to this tech putting in the new multi-switch is the fact that you can run two more tuners if you ever wanted to. Again, you already have what you need.

7. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    He never did mention the type of dish he has. But, since he has an H20-600 and is not complaining about not getting the new HDs, he has the a side car or slimline.

It would have been good info to help TS the problem. But, it appears the tech will be the solution for the problem. Let's hope he does not have to pay for equipment the may not be needed....

I've seen the multi-switch error before... And it turned out the -100 had the problem. Not the dish. He never stated if he tried the -100 on any of the other cable runs. Or did I miss that?

8. steveken

steveken Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    No, you didn't miss it. He just left out important information and didn't listen to good advice that was given him.

9. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    So, guys here's the update. The problem was the receiver and the BBC. I was sent another H20-100 and it immediately booted up. Sorry for the lack of info but much thanks for all your replies!!!

10. satwood

satwood DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I suspected this was the problem.

Glad you are good.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.