H20 or R15 for additional receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Juppers, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    I'm trying to pick a receiver that will feed 3 seperate SD sets at the same time. It will live in a closet, so RF remote is a must. Signal distribution will be handled via coax, and I have a RF modulator if I choose the H20. I would like an interface as close as possible to the HR20. DVR and HD are not important, speed and stability are important. I've never seen either one in person, so I'm hoping someone that does have experience with both would be able to chime in on which is the better overall receiver, disregarding their specialties. Thanks.

2. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    *bump*

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    (Corrected: Other users are reporting that you can use the RF remote on H20 or R15)

The upcoming H21 will use an RF remote, I can tell you that for sure.

All current DIRECTV receivers use a very, very similar interface so don't worry about the user experience.

4. facmgr6569

facmgr6569 Legend

Jan 5, 2007
    My h20-600 uses RF

5. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    The R15 and the H20 both can accept a RF remote. I got that much research done, just no anecdotal experience of my own.

6. nocaster

nocaster Legend

Nov 2, 2006
    I have used both the H20 and R15. Overall, the H20 was a far better box than the R15. The H20 has an added benefit of an ATSC OTA tuner if you need/want it. For speed and stability I would pick the H20 over an R15 any day. I don't have the H20 anymore, but I believe it has a coax output.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Assuming you already have HD on your account, I would recommend the H20 or H21 (if you can wait just a little while and don't need OTA). That way you will also have access to the new HD channels, which you would not get on the R15. (Of course, you will only get an SD presentation of them the way you are going to distribute them, but you will have access to those channels.)

If you do not already have HD on your account, getting an H20 will require you to add HD to your account.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.