1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H20 - Reboot Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by matthewmccann, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2007 #1 of 10
    matthewmccann

matthewmccann New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Hello,

So I bought my DirecTV equipment in 06/06. That's right I BOUGHT my DirecTV equipment. All of a sudden in the past 2 weeks both my H20 IRD's just started rebooting at will. They technically work as they show you a picture and function for about 3-5 minutes and then all of a sudden they reboot and show the HELLO, Welcome to DirecTV and start acquiring satellite signal.

So, I call DirecTV which is all but a huge waste of time. The solution? They will send me out a recondition H20, that will now be leased and I am supposed to surrender my purchased H20 to them!?!? How in the hell is this feasible? I pay my money, they push out software that breaks the equipment and then they take my item and send me back a leased IRD from someone else, and now it isn't my property? This is absolutely ridiculous. Are other people experiencing the same thing?

I tihnk it is time that investor relations gets involved. If DirecTV is infact sending out faulty firmware that is "breaking" these IRD's they should be liable!

2. Jun 3, 2007 #2 of 10
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

Sorry to hear you are having problems. The rebooting problem with your H20 is a software problem. Many of us have had the same problem and with the last few CE (cutting edge) updates have fixed the problem for us. Hopefully there will be a national release update for the unit soon. If you don't know what CE is do a search and you will find all the information on it if you would like to take part in the next on.

3. Jun 3, 2007 #3 of 10
    rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I am having the same problem....is this issue limited only to those using HDMI connection or will it occur too for those that are using component video cables?
    I am using HDMI and get the same problem nightly...but considering going to component video

I spoke to DirecTV about the problem...and they asked that I call them when I get the problem...however...I only have H20 on a TV in my bedroom and turn it on usually around 11PM and really dont want to call them that late at night...but they told me that they would send out a tech if I continue to have the problem

I would really prefer that they give me a good enough deal to trade out the receiver for a HR20

4. Jun 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    Does anyone know when/if DirecTV will fix the problem with H20 receivers rebooting themselves? It happened to me 3 times in a span of 30 min last night...is it happening to others too?
    It's impossible to watch TV on it

5. Jun 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    My H20's are hooked up component and I had the problem until got the last couple of CE updates for the units.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    There may be 2 seperate issues here.

1. H20-600 has a known issue with it resetting itself, sometimes continuously. This was a really big widespread problem that dropped in the number of reports but has now started to resurface. Of course there may have been those that have had the problem all along. It is software and they are working on getting it fixed and should be rolled out soon since they have done a couple of CE's.

2. The H20-100 has problems with certain tv manufacturers using HDMI connections. This supposedly is a compatibility issue with a chip or the standards used for HDMI. The symptons are the screen going black every 16 frames or so. Generally the receiver doesn't actually reset. As a temporary solution to this problem is to use component until the are able to correct it.

7. Jun 5, 2007 #7 of 10
    Milenkod

Milenkod Cool Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I noticed it happening exclusively (Saturday all-day long) on ESPN HD...wouldn't display for more than 5 seconds without locking up and rebooting. now it's on other channels too, but not happening so often.

I keep my H20 in an enclosed cabinet and the unit does get rather warm. I was wondering if this has anything to to do with setting it off to reboots-ville??

8. Jun 5, 2007 #8 of 10
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Some issues of rebooting is due to the H20 overheating. Make sure it is not sitting on top of any AV equipment and has a lot of breathing room. Like the above post have mention the last CE took care of addressed this problem. But, until it comes out on national release try this. I hope it helps. Good luck.

9. Jun 8, 2007 #9 of 10
    rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I finally spoke again to DirecTV tech support today regarding this rebooting issue...person was very nice and cordial...did some research and advised me that this is a very well known issue and that the receiver needs to be replaced...there is no fix for it...so a new receiver is being shipped to me today

10. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Glad to hear it. Hopefully the new one will be a lot better for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.