1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H23 slow to respond to remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mccoady, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    I upgraded our bedroom D10 to a H23 about 2 months ago but we have never been happy with the slow response time from the remote I'll try to explain my situation. After sending me the receiver I had problems with it constantly rebooting and not responding to the remote so to make a long story short it took two service calls and replacing the H23 twice to finally figure out the problem.

As it turned out the top plugin of my receptacle was shorting in and out causing all the different receivers to go into a tizzy and rebooting. I took a lot of time to troubleshoot this but after replacing the receptacle my 3rd H23 finally is stable and working as well as I guess it can work. For the record both my installers would have willingly gave me a H24 to try but all they were getting in were H23's.

From the very beginning none of the receivers responded to the remote that well but at the time it was chalked up to the receivers rebooting but I now know different. There are many, many threads on D* receivers responding poorly to their remote.

To be specific changing channels is slow, scrolling using the 4-way pad doesn't always work, trying to enter 3 digits into the remote hardly ever works since it ends up entering 4. I have several D* remotes and my wife will start using one then the receiver will quit responding to it so she'll grab another and it may work for awhile but it's back and forth all the time.

I've tried all the tricks H23 is set to Native OFF, scrolling effects off, disabling model ID of the remote, rebooting, IR/RF, etc.

I have a HR24 in my basement and have none of these issues and of course you can't ask for a H24 because they send you whatever. D* has handed me off to a case worker or something like that which I haven't heard from yet but at this time will not send me another receiver. Now some questions:

1. Is it pretty much a given fact that all D* receivers except the 24 series have issues responding the remote?

2. It seems to me some have more problems than others with the above is there a reason for that?

3. Do others have the same problem with their H23's or is it out of character with this model?

4. Do I have the right to expect that D* should somehow come up with a solution for me or do you think they have done enough?

Short of me ordering a H24 I'm probably left with hooking up my old D10 and sending back the H23.

2. m4p

m4p Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    I have an HR20-700 and it is extremely slow to respond to the remote. Sometimes, if I reboot the receiver, the remote responds better. But then it starts getting slow again.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All the D* HD STB's seem to need to rebooted periodically to improve speed. A good habit to get into is to restart the receiver once a week, also, using the NVRAM cache clear step is helpful as well. I reboot my dvrs every weekend for this very reason.

4. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I know the slow response has been an ongoing problem, but the last few weeks or so it has gotten really bad.

5. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    What and how do you do the "NVRAM cache clear" step?

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    This...

7. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    Thanks. Can't wait to try the reboot AND the cache clear when I get home. It's been pretty frustrating lately!

8. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    I have H23-600s and while they are not as quick(4-6 seconds of grey screen between channels changes) as my old D10's, I have not experienced the problems tuning channels that you describe. Occasionally, I get a blank screen from an autotune, but for the most part, my problems have centered around communication with the dish, not with the receiver itself...

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are you using IR or RF remote?

It sounds like you may benefit from switching technologies or maybe even just switching the remote code.

Do you have a plasma or LED backlit TV in the room with the H23?