1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H24 Dolby Digital Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dschamis, Jul 24, 2010.

1. dschamis

dschamis Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Weird issue - for some reason when I connect my H24 to my Anthem Statement D2 pre/pro via HDMI and turn Dolby Digital 'ON' in the menu, I lose all sound. This doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else.

Any ideas?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Have you checked the options for the Anthem?

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I think we could have issues here. :grin:

[​IMG]

############

My bet is your Anthem isn't seeing the digital stream correctly. I'd look for it being a set-up issue.

Looks like one hell of a piece, dschamis.

4. bills

bills Legend

Nov 7, 2002
    check with the guys at avsforum they will help you. regards

5. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Turn the DD off, see what happen.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Since the OP says he loses sound when he turns Dolby Digital on, I'd assume he has sound when he turns it off.

7. dschamis

dschamis Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    That is correct, when its off you get sound, but not DD.

8. 1dersky

1dersky Mentor

Oct 9, 2007
    Side note: SWEET receiver.

I have my H24 set to "On" and it works correctly via HDMI with my Onkyo.

Are you passing video through the Anthem too? If not, I'd suggest wiggling the HDMI connection on the H24. I had to do that a couple of times upon powering it on for some reason, but it seems happy now.

If you ARE passing video and it works, I'm at a loss.

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    dechamis, if you still haven't figured this out, I'd look for a sampling issue. DD 5.1 coming from DirecTV samples at 48kHz. I'd make sure your Anthem is set up to take signals at that sampling rate. Your piece is so special, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a separate menu item.

You might also want to try a Toslink optical or coaxial digital feed for audio. The only way I could get my Yamaha receiver to light up Dolby Digital from my HD DVD player was to bring in the audio this way. I had to set up the menu on the Yamaha to use this digital feed rather than the HDMI cable that carried the video. I never could figure out why this was the case, and with it being the HD DVD player, I really didn't care. All other sources worked fine through HDMI cables.