1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H24 Searching for Satellite Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ccauthen21, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ccauthen21

ccauthen21 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I just recently added an H24 receiver to one of my bedrooms and my local channels do not work. I keep getting a searching for satellite code (771) on those channels. I have 2 other receivers (H23 and HR23) in the house that are working perfectly. I've swapped the H24 with the H23 and I keep getting teh same problem only on the H24 receiver.

I contacted Directv to send me another box because it seems that the problem is following the receiver. They informed me that they do not replace receivers for a 771 code and that I need to pay $50 for a technician to come out for a service call.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue without spending $50??

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    since this seems to be with your HD locals, look at the setup screen and SAT levels for the 99s & 103s SATs.
    This might show something for you.

3. ccauthen21

ccauthen21 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I've check those and on Sat 99 the signal strength is zero only on the H24 receiver. for the other receivers it's in the 90s

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Do you have a SWM set up?

If not, you need a BBC.

5. ccauthen21

ccauthen21 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I think I have a SWM. It's built into the dish right? I'm not sure how to check. I thought the BBC (b band converters?) were built into the receivers.

Maybe my setup of the receiver is wrong.

Is there a way i can check my other receivers to confirm the setup?

Additional info:
    I have a newer (last year) 5 horn dish with a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch feeding my whole house.

Thanks

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Bingo! you need BBCs for the 24 line. Only the 23s had them built in.

7. ccauthen21

ccauthen21 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Wow really??? that makes complete sense.

They didn't provide any in the box. I guess they are expecting my to pay the $50 to have a technician come out to install it.

Thanks for all the help

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    These models are really for SWiM systems and those using the built-in DECA networking, which means they don't/can't use the BBCs. So this is more why they don't come in the box. The installer would have to add them as needed.

9. ccauthen21

ccauthen21 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I got D-Tv to waive the service call fee and the protection plan for a month so I can have an installer come out. It will only cost $10 to cancel the protection plan next month.

they said that the b-band converters are built in on the H24s but I dont know how much I trust that. A BBC would cost me about $15 so I guess I'm $5 ahead???

who knows. It's such a pain to deal with the customer service. it usually takes about 3 or 4 calls to get someone thats willing to help

Thanks for all the help

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    H24's only require a BBC if you are NOT using a SWiM configuration setup.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Call them back and they should send you the BBC for FREE.
    You didn't talk to someone "with a clue".

12. ccauthen21

ccauthen21 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I was able to borrow a BBC from a guy at work and magically everything worked. I called D-Tv and they are going to send me a BBC for my system and they canceled the protection plan and service call without any further charges.

Thanks again