1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H24 suddenly down, I'm stumped

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DesertWind53, Feb 25, 2013.

1. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    My H24 crapped out over the weekend. Turned on TV, everything powers up, no picture. Switched input to Apple TV, it works fine, so TV is fine. Reset H24, picture comes back during restart sequence, all looks well until "checking satellites", then TV goes dark again, no pic, no sound. Tried reauthorizing (twice), no help. Tried hard reset (pulled power), same result. Other TVs in the house work fine, so I know there's no dish issue. All connections secure. What else could it be other than failed receiver? But it doesn't seem like a failed receiver as it passes self-test before the checking satellite routine, and nothing has been disturbed. Hoping to avoid the painful call to DTV service. Any suggestions on something I might be missing? TIA.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Try hooking it up with the opposite connection you are currently using for video (RGB if using HDMI, HDMI if using RGB) and see if it works. Failing that, try hooking it up with composite (Yellow). Might be a video chip, or something in the settings is glitched.

3. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    Thanks Dave, but that's almost certainly futile, as I do get picture just fine during the initial power-on self test, right up until the "testing satellites" part. So the HDMI connection would seem to be fine.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut AllStar

Feb 11, 2013
    Eagle, Idaho
    Awww cmon... we're not that bad :p

You could always call retention and troubleshoot with them.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    True, but one of the other connections might get you to the menu to check all the video settings to see if one is askew. What happens if you just let it boot, say for about 15 minutes, and then hit the Menu button? Does the DirecTv logo blink?

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I am not sure you can get to this point, but you should try to force a download. If the reboot is stalling at that point it probably has to do with some problem or corruption of that part of the reboot routine. If you cant force a reload of the OS to clear the corruption, the only other thing would be to replace the DVR.

7. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    The logo does blink, so it's trying to respond. I'll try to force a download as the next responder suggests.. thanks guys, stay "tuned"...

8. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    OK.. attempting to download firmware, and the numbers in the upper right just keep cycling, percentage complete at zero, seems to not be finding anything.. which would seem consistent with my failing during the satellite testing, apparently signal isn't getting to the box? Ugh, now I ASSume I can't power it down when it's doing this without hammering it?

9. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    Another update.. it finally quit searching for new firmware, and restarted itself, looping back to the same behavior. I swapped it with the bedroom H24 (probably should have done this sooner, hate crawling behind stuff) and the problem stays in the den with the "working" receiver from the bedroom, and the formerly suspect unit works fine in the bedroom. So something is amiss with my connection in the den, or possibly the TV, though that seems unlikely with everything working right up to the satellite check, including the switch to HD graphics that happens before that point. Bad coax pigtail? I'll root around and see if I can find another one in the house, stay "tuned"...

10. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    Out of ideas. Swapped coax tail, no difference. Power-cycled the SWM power injector module, no difference (wasn't expecting anything there since the other locations work fine). Some issue at this location only for some weird reason. To the phone I go to schedule a service call. Wish me luck.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Try swapping the BBC if you have one attached behind the receiver giving you trouble.
    EDIT: Never mind, I see in your last post you have SWM.

You dont by any chance have more than 8 tuners in your house do you?

12. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    No BBCs, SWM setup with H24's & HR24 so not necessary. I'm flummoxed.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you know where the SWM splitter is, try disconnecting the coax going to the trouble location, make sure its clean, and reattach.

Ive had rats, squirrels, and other varmints actually eat through the coax and short it out also, if you happen to have the coax running anywhere such varmints might be able to get to it.

14. DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    Solved!

Bad HDMI port on TV. It's an older 32-inch Philips Sam's Club special, 720p only. I had the H24 on HDMI 1, and Apple TV on 2. Unplugged ATV and put H24 into 2, and voila, all is normal. Put ATV into 1, and nothing. So strange that I get picture on 1 during startup of the H24, then it goes out to lunch later. Oh well, older TV, time to upgrade I suppose. Thanks for all who had suggestions on how to troubleshoot, much obliged!

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Cool. Now, if that tv has a component input, you can use that instead of HDMI if you dont have another HDMI port. Congrats. BTW, on startup the H24 uses 480p. It seems when it switches to 720p half way through bootup is when your TV is dropping it.