H24 turns on, but front panel and remote unreponsive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mws192, Jul 22, 2015.

1. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Earlier today I anticipated upgrading a H24 to a Genie, so before the tech arrived I attempted to swap the RC65RX remote that I had been using with the H24, via RF, with a non-radio frequency remote I had for a HR-24. I was able to pair the RF remote on my HR-24, no problems. I didn't plan on using the H24 again, so I didn't bother reprogramming a remote for it.

Fast forward to my install not going well (tech left without touching the dish or entering the house). In any event, since I was no longer planning on swapping the H24, I went to use the remote and not only did it not work, neither did any of the front-panel controls on the H24 itself.

I tried multiple red-button reboots and every time the system boots up the last channel I watched (HBO), shows up with both audio and video, however I cannot change the channel, access the menu, guide or any other functions on either the remote or on the panel.

I called DirecTV and they are stating that since I can see a channel, that they have to send a technician out (first appt is now 8 days away), and that they will not simply send me a replacement unit. Mind you I had a tech here earlier today and left b/c he couldn't access my dish (not accessible via ladder, not willing to climb due to new regs).

Any thoughts on how I might be able to fix this on my own? Or am I stuck watching only HBO on this tv for a week?

I tried
    - Holding Mute & Select on the Remote and entering in 00001 (per CS) - nothing
    - 3 or 4 single reboots - nothing
    - Double red-reboot - nothing

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press Mute and Select and wait until the light on the remote blinks twice. The initial press of these buttons causes the lights to blink and they do not count.
    Then type in 981
    This should reset the remote. See if that works. If it does not, check it on the receiver that works. It should operate the guide channel changes, etc.
    If the H24 was in RF mode it is going to have to have the remote in RF mode to make it work.
    That is a different set of key presses and then the last digits of the receiver ID number.
    I will look that up and post it unless someone knows it and posts it first.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Activating the RF Transmitter

To activate the RF transmitter on your DIRECTV Remote
    Control, perform the following steps:
    1. Locate the 12 digit Receiver ID (RID) number of your Receiver. You can find the RID number on
    the back panel of your receiver, or inside the CAM access door next to the reset button.
    2. Write down the last six digits of the RID number.
    3. Slide the mode switch to DIRECTV, AV1, or AV2.
    4. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT keys until the green light under the selected switch flashes twice and release both keys.
    5. Using the number keys, enter 9 6 1. (The green light flashes twice.)
    6. Press and release CHAN. (The green light flashes twice.)
    7. Using the NUMBER keys, enter the last six digits of the RID number. (See step 2 above.)
    8. Press and release the SELECT key. (The green light flashes twice.)

1 person likes this.
  4. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    It was in RF mode and that worked like a charm! Thank you!

Front panel controls still don't function, but a working remote is just fine by me!

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You are welcome. Glad to help.

1 person likes this.