1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H25 or Genie Mini for my H44? Or Something Else?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spedinfargo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. spedinfargo

spedinfargo Cool Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Planning for my Genie install (new customer) and need some help answering questions in my scenario.

90% of TV watching on one television, two televisions total. 95% recorded TV with last bit live sports. Trick play in both scenarios is very important to me.

1. Am I correct that trick play isn't great when playing content hosted on the Genie DVR (HR44) using the H25 or Genie Mini? Is either model better than the other?

2. Do the H25 and Genie Mini have the same per-month cost?

3. Since the H25 has a tuner you can watch Live TV without tying up a tuner on the HR44. However, do you lose trick play (pause, rewind, etc.) if you are watching Live TV on that unit?

4. Since we watch 90% of our TV on one set, does it make most sense to have the HR44 hooked up to that TV?

5. Are there any other options besides the Genie Mini or the H25 that make sense for me? Another HD-DVR? How much per month would that be?

Thanks!

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    1. There's a slight delay, but not much.
    2. Yes.
    3. No trick play on live content with the 25.
    4. Good idea.
    5. You can have a 2nd DVR that's not a Genie. No extra monthly costs.

3. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    5. More tuners and DVR's is always better. :)

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    5. HDDVRs are not included as part of the new customer promo. there will be an upfront charge of $199.00 to go this route

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

5. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    It's well worth it.:)

6. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    4. The 44 is the fastest machine out there right now, so put it where you watch the most TV.
    5. As others have said, get another DVR. Since you are a new install, it should be an HR24. Negotiate the price when you join, but I'd be willing to bet it will be 99 or less. Since you will be getting a Genie, you are already paying the DVR fee. So all you would need to pay is the mirror/lease fee which will be the same no matter if it's a DVR, H25 or mini-client.

7. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Get a genie client c41. Well worth it

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The C41 mini is a good client. I like mine. But if you only have 1 DVR, I recommend you get another for your 2nd TV. That way, you have backups of all your recordings. I set all my Series Links to record on both DVRs, and it has saved me a few times!

9. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Second DVR or H25 would be my pick. Not a mini-Genie (C31) fan.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Agreed. Reason - if for any reason the Genie goes kaput, you'll have zero TV reception with only a working client.

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Might as well have 8 tuners: Genie, HDDVR, and a H2X. Monthly charge is the same and you can do SO much more.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What do you have now? If you have anything less than five tuners total from your system now get a genie and mini genie and make your life very easy. I'm guessing you have one DVR and a non DVR in the other room now from someone else. A genie is a huge upgrade from that kind of system. Taking a tuner when watching live in the other room is completely irrelevant IMHO when leave in a system that has a max of four tuners now.

There's also the fact it takes almost no power to drive a mini vs tons to drive a DVR constantly.

13. spedinfargo

spedinfargo Cool Member

Oct 5, 2005
    I think it's between a Genie Mini and a second DVR then. No trick play on live TV (pause, rewind) on the H25 would probably be too difficult to explain to anyone. I do appreciate the note on the low energy costs on the Genie Mini compared to the second DVR.

Currently have a Windows Media Center with a 4-tuner Ceton card and a couple Xbox 360s for Extenders. I'm going to miss Media Center... in fact the LAST time I subscribed to DirecTV it was in anticipation of the Media Center tuner (Draco?) which got axed.

Current cable company has crappy programming and isn't getting any better... and unfortunately the Media Center ecosystem is pretty much on life support... time to move on.

Thanks for all of the answers. I'll have to flip a coin on this one...

14. skinnyJM

skinnyJM Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    DFW DMA
    I have a question related to the OP, which may help the OP decide.
    On page 95 of the HD DVR User Guide (version V1.4HR2X3X15JAN2013) it states:
    "*NOTE: The Genie receiver will work with any other DIRECTV HD DVRs, HD Receivers and Clients that are compatible with Adv Whole-Home and Whole-Home service, so you can play, pause, rewind and delete recorded content that’s on your Genie DVR from any room in the house. However, you will not be able to record content to the Genie from another connected HD DVR, HD Receiver or Client."
    Is this correct or an error? I thought a user could schedule or start a recording on a Genie from a H25 (or any Whole Home compatible HD receiver) or Client.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, that is correct. from an HD receiver you can specify any HDDVR, including the Genie, that is on your network to record a show. a client however can only record to the Genie. and HDDVRs, including the Genie, can only record to itself.

16. skinnyJM

skinnyJM Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    DFW DMA
    Thanks peds48 for clearing that up. The way it is worded in the User Guide (after "However,...") is confusing, at least to me.