H3 doesn't always talk to Denon AVR

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dmspen, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sep 2, 2020 #1 of 17
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    My H3 is connected to a Denon AVR-2500. Also connected are an Xbox X, Fire Stick, and Apple TV. The output is connected to an LG OLED TV.

Often, when switching the AVR input to the H3 there is no connection made that I can see. The receiver says it's on the right input but the screen says no connection. I don't have this issue with any other of the connected devices. It's as if the H3 or AVR doesn't like the handshake that happens when selecting inputs.

Anyone else seen an issue like this?

2. Sep 2, 2020 #2 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HDMI cable ?

3. Sep 2, 2020 #3 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    H3 is HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.0 ?

4. Sep 2, 2020 #4 of 17
    strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    I have a Denon AVR-3600H receiver, also with an LG OLED TV, and have not had this issue.

5. Sep 2, 2020 #5 of 17
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Could be the TV...

I've got an LG OLED TV and sometimes have trouble establishing the HDMI connection, mostly with a FireTV box.

(Also rarely, but once or twice the blu-ray player.)

I find with the FireTV I have to make sure the set is booted-up, the correct input is selected, then plug the device into the HDMI.

Of the other two inputs that I use, one has a splitter and the other is connected to the output of a stable capture box, so I never seem to have problems with those inputs.

At any rate I'd always be first to blame the blasted HDCP BS in any and all of these situations.

Rich likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2020 #6 of 17
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Relatively new HDMI cable, HDMI 2.2, 4K and all the other specs that really don't mean much.
    If it was the TV i would expect to still get sound from the H3 through the Denon. There's nothing. The Denon has pass through and when I turn of the Denon there is still no pic/sound on the TV. This leads me to believe it's the H3. Maybe I'll swap some HDMI ports and other fun things.

Now I'm thinking...as the coffee filters through my blood. I don't think I can even see the Denon output when in this condition. I sent a report to Denon and they suggested resetting the receiver. Maybe it's time to do that.

7. Sep 3, 2020 #7 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    typical advise for any device with a processor and SW/FW in case of something unusual - reboot !

8. Sep 4, 2020 #8 of 17
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Definitely agree with this.

9. Sep 4, 2020 #9 of 17
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    While I don't have a lot of experience with HDMI-connected audio devices, I think folks tend to forget that HDMI is a two-way street.

Data is sent both ways through the cable, and if there's any kind of HDCP problem, most likely the source device (in conjunction with the TV) is gonna shut the whole thing down, signal-wise.

"Pass-thru" is still two-way (even through a splitter) as I've found my PC detected the TV brand and its UHD capabilities!

There's also the factor of distinguishing HDCP in the signal, or the entire source device.

I've found lately it seems it's more by device these days, rather than individual signals (channels, recordings, etc.) like in the old-days.

For example, My older DVR is still HDCP by channel, while the newer one is by entire device, irrespective of channel.

I assume the FTV box and UHD player are the same, but have not yet thoroughly tested to confirm that theory.

At any rate, there's obviously something the LG doesn't "like" about these signals sometimes, whether it's one or the other of devices, or combination thereof.

Nothing wrong with trying different combinations, cables, inputs, rebooting, etc. Maybe even re-booting the TV (as I've had to mine for various other reasons).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I've got a Hopper w/Sling, Yamaha A/V Reciever, and an Olevia 32 inch TV , all with HDMI. Mostly everything works fine on passthru, but occaisionally the audio in Passthru is an ugly low frequency shudder. Changing channels and back seems to fix it right up everytime .

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Last Saturday, I rebooted the Hopper and reset my receiver. I went through the entire setup again on the AVR. All was good until Sunday afternoon. Selected the DISH input on the AVR and nothing except sound. Np picture from H3 nor could I get a Setup screen to show from the AVR. Suddenly, after about 5 minutes, the DISH picture popped on.

Still trying to figure it out. Next time it happens I'll reboot the H3.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    seem to me it's HDCP negotiation process cannot finish for minutes; I've seen same long delay with blimps of LED and short chirps sound on my test monitor Dell 24" when connecting by HDMI various sat/ota receivers
    some of them never produce a sound via HDMI, only by L/R RCA output

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Have you tried unplugging the HDMI then re-connecting it to possibly restart the handshake process?

P Smith likes this.
  14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's my old recommendation ! I posted it many times !

reconnect HDMI cable, any side

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    This Exactly^^

Sometimes I have to more than once with the FireTV box and the LG TV.

It could also be tested to bypass the AVR and connect the H3 directly to the TV.

If this works reliably, then either feed the AVR with the TV's optical or use the ARC HDMI connector (mine is HDMI 2) to "backfeed" audio to the AVR.

Not as convenient, but may be enough of a workaround to not have to keep plugging HDMI in and out.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    definitely jacking HDMI cable is more a test, than a solution for constant/returning issue

17. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I will try some of these suggestions when I have time to troubleshoot again. I may even swap HDMI cables although the one I have is less than a year old (4K, HDCP 2.2 etc).

Thanks for all the help!