1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had DirecTV come out to move dish and they removed the ground connection!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DornoDiosMio, May 8, 2018.

1. DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Texas
    I had DirecTV come out to move my dish as after 4-5 years the tree in a neighbor's yard grew to a point that when the wind blew the signal would cut in and out.

When the installer arrived he didn't want to move the dish, he wanted to just align it and be on his way. I told him no, I paid $54 to have the dish moved and that's what I want. He says he can call in and get my money refunded after aligning it. Again I told him no because if I need someone to come back out and move the dish I have to pay for it. He said it would be free if I got the protection plan, again I said no.

Eventually he agrees to move the dish, this is where the problems begin.

First thing is several days after the Dish was moved I noticed he left the Line Noise Blocker in my gutter when he removed it to place a new one on the dish after he moved it. He either forget about it or left it there because he was too lazy to move the ladder back. I'm referring to the piece on the metal rod that points back towards the dish to receive the signal.

I go outside tonight to removed the LNB from my gutter only to notice this weird spot in the wire where it looks like maybe the jacket has been cut.

I move closer to the dish's new location and what I find when I get there is that the small copper wire that is paired to the coax line has been intentionally cut and thus there is no longer a copper wire running along the coax to the ground connection by the side of my house.

Here are some pictures of what things look like now. Hopefully you can determine from these whether the situation is as bad as I think it is and whether or not the dish is grounded at all. It's certainly not the way it was setup 4-5 years ago.

All pictures are of the new installation.

DirecTV 1.jpg This is the new location of the dish. The wire you see coming from the dish w/ the copper line running down it was installed by the original installer 4-5 years ago.

DirecTV 2.jpg This is just to the right of where the dish is now installed. If you expand the image you can see the copper wire has been intentionally cut and the length of it that was running towards the gutter and down to the ground connection has been intentionally removed. You can also see a coupler (bottom right) the installer used to connect the pre-existing dish wiring to new wire.

DirecTV 3.jpg Here is a picture of the whole setup from dish, to cut copper wire to where the installer used a coupler to extend the wire. I believe you can also see some of the copper wire in the cutter that was left after he pulled it apart from the Coax cable it was connected to.

On top of all this, the guy didn't bother to align the dish on the 99 or 103 degree axis. He simply aligned 101 and as a result we not have intermittent issues with our service on certain channels only. Signal level for 99 and 103 is in the 90-95 range, so it should be sufficient, but something is causing intermittent drop outs that are much better than they were before the dish was moved, but still not completely ideal.

I haven't had enough time yet to get a list of impacted channels and also compare weather conditions at the time to make sure it's not an issue with clouds blocking access to the Ka-band signal. That is next on my list after I find out whether or not I need DTV to come back out and fix this thing.

I'm posting this here to get opinions on whether this is a problem or not. I believe it is, but I am no expert. I do know where to find the experts though! :)

Do I need to contact DTV and have them come back out and properly wire the dish so there is a Coax/copper pair running to the ground location at the side of the garage? As it is right now there is nothing leading to the grounding location by the garage except the Coax cable itself. If that were all that is necessary then why use a Coax/copper wire pair for the initial install?

My personal opinion is that the installer was/is lazy and didn't feel like running either new wire or making sure the system is properly grounded.

The ladder is still outside near the dish, so if more pictures are needed I can provide them. Thank you!!!

TLDR: The copper wire that is paired to the Coax cable used for DTV installation was intentionally cut off and removed from the wire used during the original install. The relocated dish is no longer grounded from what I understand.

Oops, this probably belongs in the installation forum, I didn't see it until after I made the thread. Feel free to move it, sorry.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them back and ask that they send a supervisor and make sure they do not send the same guy. The Ground wire is Very important for the safety of operating the DTV receiver, your TV and AVR if you have an AVR.

DornoDiosMio likes this.
  3. DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Texas
    So basically as I suspected it's not grounded properly?

Also should I call the company who did the 'install' or DirecTV themselves. I'm thinking DirecTV. Thanks.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I had a similar problem in 2009. The installer was awful and was making a terrible mess. He was from a contractor for DTV. I wrote down the number for his company and called them while he was still there. They had me put him on the phone. He then packed up his stuff and left. The next morning another installer showed up. He was appalled at what all was wrong and called his boss to come see it before he corrected it. The boss came down and took some pics and apologized for the mess. Then he called the first installer and fired him over the phone.
    The second installer then proceeded to do the job correctly.
    So, you can call either one if you wish, your choice.

This was the only installer I have ever had a problem with. The other times were all very good and did a quick and good job.

DornoDiosMio likes this.
  5. DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks for the advice. I'll talk w/ my family and decide whether to call the contractor or DTV themselves. If he hadn't left the LNB on the roof and in the gutter I would never have bothered to take a ladder and look to see whether everything was done properly. So in some ways I am lucky he was bad enough to mess that up too.

The installer came out 8 days ago and I wont' have time to call until tomorrow, which will have been 9 days since installation. Do you think they will give me a problem because of that?
    I didn't discover the issue until just before I made the post last night.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Should not be a problem.

7. DornoDiosMio

DornoDiosMio New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Texas
    They are sending someone out tomorrow, but I doubt it will be a supervisor. The person I talked to on the phone did not seem to understand the concept of grounding the dish until I explained it repeatedly. I read part of the DTV installation manual and it explicitly states never to splice the ground wire. We even told the installer to move the dish as far as he could in the direction we wanted it without splicing the wires and yet he spliced the ground wire anyway.

I just have a couple questions before the tech arrives tomorrow so I can make sure they don't mess it up again. It took 30 minutes on the phone just to schedule an appointment.

Is it possible to properly ground the dish by running new wire outside the home from the dish to the grounding location only?

Assuming the first answer is no... Will the tech have to redo all the wiring from dish to ground and then back into my attic?

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, you can do it with a separate wire. My ground wire runs from the dish to the Grounding Block. From there it is a separate wire. This is because the direction of the coax probably is not the same as to the grounding point.