1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had my first bad experience with D support.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Matt L, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Got an HR21 with a bad tuner. It's been acting up for a couple of months but I had a lot of content I did not want to loose. Called support today wanting to get a replacement unit, I have the protection plan.

My issues is I keep getting searching for signal errors and the second tuner causes the unit to be inoperable with SWM errors so it is turned off. I explained to him I moved it to other locations where the receivers worked correctly but the problem persisted. He had me do the Info test, showed cabling issue. The support person insisted I needed a tech to come to my house to check the wiring. I know the problem is the box, all my other receivers work fine, even on that line. He said he could not do anything for me without a service call. At that point I told him I'm not sitting around waiting for a tech and hung up.

in the past D has been great on getting me what I need quickly. Anytime a box failed I got a replacement when I needed it. I am not gong to take a day off work and sit waiting for someone to tell me what i know. So at the moment I'm stuck with a semi operable HR21. Perhaps the box should develop some other "error". :mad:

2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Why not setup a service call for a day you plan to be home anyways? You have a much better chance of getting an HR24 if a service call is setup. ;)

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    While it will cost you some time waiting on the service call, my personal experience supports goinsleeper's statement. Twice I've had service calls for a unit problem. Both were replaced with brand new HR24s.

And how did hanging up solve your problem?

4. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I relented and had the service call. The installer wound up re-doing the entire installation, since the dish, dish mounting, connectors and even some cables were not up to standard. I can't swear that this fixed anything, but he did replace my HR21 with an HR24 that he had on the truck. So it was worth it for me.

I agree with the previous post, with the installer at your house, you have a lot better chance of getting that HR24

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So did shooting yourself in the foot resolve your issue and make you feel better? :sure:

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd like to add I understand your frustration. You've done all the trouble shooting and you're convinced it is the unit. But sometimes you get a CSR who doesn't understand that or their script says 'send a tech'.

Maybe escalating to a supervisor or even retention would have gotten you a different answer. But hanging up left you right where you started.

7. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    Searching for satellite is very seldom the fault of the ird, seldom enough that a service call is required. A lot of customers "know" what the problem is and demand that cure, when in reality it is something else.

8. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    most def. instead of some random ird being shipped to you via the replacement process through an csr. :)

9. r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    Did you connect a known working IRD in the same location as the HR21? Run a system test there? If BBC's OK bet you get a code 43. Also were the BBC's tested? 771 is rarely the IRD, and if it is the IRD, there's usually something else in the signal path with an issue. Get a SC. Its free...:D

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had HRs get caught in a "771" loop. It can be the HR itself.

Rich

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Of course it can the the HR, but is very rare or at least not common

12. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Just to reiterate I've tried the HR21 on 3 different lines, all present the same issue. None of my other units are having this problem.

My reluctance in regards to a service call is that all my wiring is in wall on the second floor, there are no options to run new lines. There will be no cables running down the bricks on the front of my home. I've had great techs come out and I've had techs that when my back was turned ran cables across my siding and drilled holes in my siding because they did not want to do the job correctly, it seems it's the luck of the draw.

At this point I've seen SWM errors, 771, 775 and 776 errors with this IRD. If I punch in a channel number I get an error message, then a black screen and after 45-120 seconds the signal pops in, after that the cable magically works fine. If the SWM was the issue then I should be seeing this on all my receivers would I not?

13. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    Yes, that was my experience too, but they sent the tech anyway, once I relented. :)

Fair enough, the tech I had did not run any new cable. All he did was change all of the connectors (wall jack, structured wiring cabinet, and at the dish). He was very reasonable with me and told me all of the work before he did it and nothing was destructive.

For me it was night and day once the Tech arrived, we had a good conversation about what he needed to do (upgrade all the connectors, re-mount the dish, replace the guts of the dish (I can't remember what that is called)) and I told him I wanted a replacement receiver, and if he had an HR24 on the truck that would be my preference. He spent a bunch of hours at the house, did all of the re-work, replaced the DVR and the problem was solved. So in the end, although I don't have exact proof of what fixed the problem, I'm glad he came out.

I'm just going through all of this because I fought this like you are, I was disturbed by it, having to spend a day working from home, etc. But I'm glad they insisted on the tech in the end.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What other receivers do you have? Is it possible you have too one too many tuners for your SWM LNB?

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It isn't that the CSR doesn't understand. The fact is 90+% of subs don't have a clue how to troubleshoot a DVR. Add to that the callers who are just trying to get something out of the CSR and you get a situation where they can't trust the tech skills of the subscriber on the phone.

It’s frustrating when you actually know what you’re talking about but overwhelming majority of subs who call don’t. Now you couple that with the test saying it’s a cabling problem, a completely different issue from what the sub is saying is the problem and I get why the CSR is going to send out a tech.

Mike

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Why not set up a appointment - you can schedule it for 4pm - 8pm during the week or make a weekend sat. or sun day?

Or move another DVR to the Hr21 location and see if it develops a problem?

Just a thought- If you have the PP then it's a free visit

17. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    As I mentioned I've moved the receiver around, the problem follows it. My system as been stable for years, no additions or subtarctions of recievers, it worked upuntil 2 months ago when this one unit started acting up.

Right now I have other concers and may wait until July when the new protection plan kicks in and see what is offered. Have not been under contract with D for 5 years, may reup if the equipment options is attractive.

18. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Waiting until July might a good plan because there should be better equipment offers with the new pplan :) The Genie is a really cool box as it has picture in picture and can record 5 shows at once, maybe that will be free for you in July with the new pplan. Though I'm not a fan of those clients or "genie mini" as they call them now lol