Half of SWM -16 not working.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DrA, Jul 14, 2019.

1. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006
    All the Receivers on one side of the SWM -16 are not working. They are: 1 genie & a client and an H24, all three connected to three 4K Sony TVs. 771 and 775 Error codes. Restarting satellite set-up shows SWM not detected. Resetting the SWM power supply does not help.
    The other half is fine. All 4 DVRs are working.

Bad SWM or bad connection? is each side connected to the LNB separately?

My dish SL5 LNB and SWM-16 are mounted on the inside of the chimney wall where the roof starts and I hope the technician can work from the ladder. It will be so much easier and safer if he stands on roof where the wide chimney joins the roof but there is this stupid rule about not leaving the ladder. I have seen the technicians work both ways but few times they were afraid to do their job.
    Do I need a New SWM or new LNB?
    Are the new 4K channels coming which requires new LNB or ATT abandoned that idea?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suggest you replace the LNB yourself (ebay) Throw the sw16 away and run everything from the New LNB over a single RG6 to a 8 way splitter move the PI -to red port 1 - The lnb feed goes to the single top of the 8way connect all the rg6 to the other open 7 ports-

That way you won't need a service call or bother of a a tech getting off the ladder. --Your other choice is to find an SAT retailer in you zipcode to do it for you

DrA likes this.
  3. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006
    Thank you.
    Is this a newer model LNB? If yes do you know the model number?

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Any swm lnb will carry at least 8 channels so any one is good as long as it's a swm.

DrA likes this.
  5. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006
    i heard there is a a 22 tuner LNB that doesn't require a SWM for my home.

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    No swm lnb requires a swm switch like you have. Is that what you mean?

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There is, but it supports 13 tuners in some cases and 21 tuners in other cases. We've never been able to get truly clear guidance from anyone on what causes it to only support 13. Some people with similar setups to yours have it working with up to 21 tuners, but there would be no guarantees.

If it is where you aren't able to reach it yourself there isn't much diagnosis you can do, just call Directv and let them fix it however they choose to fix it. If they need to leave the ladder they may refuse to work with that location and will want to install another dish. It isn't because they're "afraid to do their job" it is because Directv requires them to adhere to OSHA rules, which won't let them leave a ladder without using a special safety harness to protect them from falls.

If you don't want a second dish installed then you would need to hire a third party contractor, they are generally willing to leave their ladder (a one person company isn't bound by OSHA rules, and a lot of small ones fly under the radar which is why you see roofers working without safety harnesses all the time even though it is technically illegal)

DrA likes this.
  8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The SWM you are referring to is actually your SWM 16, right ?
    Yes, the new LNB will make your SWM 16 obsolete and it will be removed from the system.

DrA likes this.
  9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    DrA likes this.
  10. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006
    Thank you. This my Zip code 90011. First I was opposed for them to put a new dish. But if they are going to solve my problem and wire a one more bedroom, it will be better as long as they use the same existing cable holes in the stucco and remove the old cables from outside. The only thing now is how reliable that 21 tuner promise. is it a documented problem?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I don't think there are any locals available only on 119 any longer, so there isn't any reason he would need a 5 LNB unless he receives the Spanish language channels (which he could receive without 119 if he got a reverse band LNB)

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not believe they remove old coax, dish, etc., only install new stuff. You have to take down anything you want down.
    If you remove the old dish, do not take the screws / bolts out of the feet that are screwed into the house as this could cause a leak.

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you decide to stick with SWM16, I have two that I no longer use. Drop me a PM if interested and let me know your zip.

The issue with 21 tuners support, as I understand it, has to do with Whole Home channel assignments. Older DVRs (either pre Genie or pre HR24) can't use the new channels for Whole Home. So they need to boot up first after a power failure or they may not find an available channel for Whole Home. That's that odd warning about NDS receivers some have seen with the new LNBs.

14. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Receivers don't use SWM channels for whole home, whole home uses the MoCA 'E channel' range of 475 - 625 MHz.

DrA likes this.
  15. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006
    Thank you so much for the SWM 16 offer. I decided to put the new LNB and 8 splitter instead .
    And the problem was from my bad SWM 16 multi switch. The technician first said that I don’t need a power supply and the Ginny can do that job but ended up installing it too. So far no problem handling 15 tuners.

16. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006

WestDC and jimmie57 like this.
  17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Glad you got it Fixed :thumbsup:

18. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Hmm, I didn't write the issue was the SWM channels, I used the term whole home channel assignments. I didn't want add yet another term, MOCA and confuse things.

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The point is MoCA and SWM have nothing to do with each other, so the 13/21 SWM channel thing can't have anything to do with whole home.

20. DrA

DrA AllStar

Oct 25, 2006
    For the people like me who have more than 13 tuners and want to use a reverse band LNB I confirm that so far my system is working fine with 4 HR-24s, 1 HR 54, 1 client and 1 H-24. This will help them to know what receivers they need to replace if they have a problem.
    Now that I am able to to receive new 4K channels in the future, when are they going to add them? All Sports channels should become 4K. I watched the US soccer team final game in 4K and later in HD and I noticed the difference.

jimmie57 likes this.