"Happy Valley" on Netflix

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Steve, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm probably late to the party, but just watched S1 this week, and we're half-way through S2. Well written, with Luther-like intensity, IMHO.

I think Sarah Lancashire, the lead actress, is terrific as well. Seeing James Norton (Grantchester) play the Tommy Lee Royce character was a bit of a shock, at first. Great acting by him as well, IMO.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    One thing about the Netflix approach, you're never late to the party.

We too developed a problem confusing James Norton's parts - you can't figure out how Rev. Sidney could possibly be that evil. He is a remarkable actor, as is Sarah Lancashire with who we've become familiar watching "Last Tango in Halifax" and from an older series on Acorn TV "Where the Heart Is".

3. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Edge of the seat stuff. Great acting, location, production.

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    What did you think about the end of that S1 episode when she rescues the kidnapped girl? Intense, or what!!!!!

5. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    The viewer emotional quotient is off the charts on this one. I rarely get misty-eyed from watching a TV show, but I did in episode two from the event that occurs to a seemingly minor character.

When the writers, show runner and director can accomplish that, you’ve got great TV.

1 person likes this.
  6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    We started watching Happy Valley this week. Drama is good, but we have trouble understanding some of the dialog. Thank goodness for the 10 second rewind!

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I know what you mean. After 2-3 episodes, my ear did get used to the accent, but captions helped.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My wife lived in England when she was younger and has no trouble with the dialog. But me.... So because we watch a lot of Acorn TV I just put the captions up. I'm getting better but not good enough.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Apple TV is so great for missed phrases. Just ask Siri what they said and bam they rewind and put on captions for a little bit. :)