Hard drive swap

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by k5ya, Feb 3, 2015.

1. k5ya

k5ya New Member

Feb 3, 2015
    DTV is sending me a replacement unit, I am having what looks like tuner problems.

They inform me that when I activate the replacement unit, the old unit will be automatically deactivated, and I will no longer be able to view any recordings on it.

Can I retain the old unit recordings and settings by swapping the old hard drive into the replacement unit? Or is the HD keyed to the RID?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hard drive is tied to the access card, which is tied to the RID.

Though I just realized this was the Tivo subforum, but if those boxes were any different in that regard, I'd probably have heard of it by now.

3. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    They are not different in that regard. The disk structure of the THR22 is closer to that of more modern TiVos, but like the DirecTV Plus DVRs, the box will auto-format the drive so there's no need (or use) for tools to do so as there is for regular TiVos. Unfortunately, the TiVo tools don't work on the THR22's disk.

4. alexginga

alexginga Mentor

Dec 25, 2003
    I once convinced DirecTV to retain the same Card No. - when they were swapping my DVR unit - I think it was from HR20 to HR23, interestingly - I could indeed see the old shows in the playlist on my external drive, but I was not able to play them for some reason.

The point is - there is a chance you can convince DirecTV security department to retain the old card with your new box, but that would still not work for you. Try it and let me know how it goes, maybe it works for THR22..

5. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    You are correct, directv definitely can reuse access cards, back in the day you used to get replacement receivers and would just move the card, but some newer receivers aren't compatible with olders access cards, mainly the access card 4 which is still in use, for that reason they have since required new access cards every time.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe this is actually normal, they'll show in the list but unplayable if recorded via satellite. The data needed for the listing isn't encrypted.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There was at one time a setting on older receivers to swap access cards without calling DIRECTV®.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct. What bugs me is that the DVR wont place a proper error message, what it does is treat the show as a 'special event" it would say "looking for other showings" or something to that effect.