Hard drive test for original Genie. Need help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by tmtech, Jul 12, 2016.

1. tmtech

tmtech Cool Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Hi,

I have an original Genie that is starting to act flaky. At night I'm seeing it freeze and after a few minutes reboot. I'm guessing it is the hard drive and will likely buy a new one and transfer the data over.

I vaguely remember that there was a way to interrupt the rebooting process to start a full block check of the HD. Is that true and if so could someone share the process? I'd like to give that a try to see if it is healthy enough to bother with a transfer vs. just giving up and adding a new empty drive.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a BIST (Built-in Self Test). Restart your receiver. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. Follow the prompts. Remember, unless the receiver is owned it's against DIRECTV policy to disassemble or alter the receiver.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Original Genie as in HR34?

Depending on your results, I'd call and get a new Genie.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And a quick note... you can't transfer recordings or anything else really.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are some threads here someplace that talk about replacing a hard drive on an HR24 (I think). The same procedure should work for the hard drive on an HR34. However, keep in mind your HR34 is most likely leased, and it is a violation of your terms of service to open it to replace the drive.

Transferring the data over (per the drive cloning process mentioned) is pretty much a bit copy from one drive to another, so if you have bad data on the original, you'll still have bad data on the copy. Maybe a good drive, but still not usable data (files/programs).

6. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    My HR34 is having problems. It will freeze and pixilate. Then it can be unfrozen by rewinding and forwarding past it. I called D* and they said it is a well known problem and they were working on it, and they are not supposed to replace them just yet. They said they didn't know how long it would take but would keep us informed of the progress.

However, I told them I had the PP since I signed on with them, and it was not right. So they are sending me another Genie. Funny thing is she said I wouldn't need to send this one back. I could call a number for me to recycle it. She also said they had new 34's on hand, but didn't know what they were going to send me.

1.Is that true? Do they have new 34's or do they still have refurbished ones?

2. Are they still sending out 34's?

3. Can I still watch recorded shows on the old genie after it gets disconnected and de-activated.?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call DTV for a replacement. You are most likely to get an HR44 to replace it. Much better receiver.

8. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I ran the short SMART test on my HR34. It failed. I get the 771 error on SD channels.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Those two things are unrelated. Smart test failure reveals you have a hard drive failure. 771 indicates you have signals issue which may be caused by a poorly aligned dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk