1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harddrive enclosure HR34...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chuck W, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    So I got my new HR34 installed today and wanted to swap my WD EVDS 2TB drive to the HR34(it worked fine on my HR25). I was using a Thermatake single docking station for it and when I first connected it, it formatted the drive and went thru to the interface, but it didn't show a picture but the overlay channel banner and such worked.

So I rebooted and now I always get a Diagnostic code 75-607. I've tried taking it off my Thermaltake dock and using an Antec MX-1 but I get the same error.

Is the issue my enclosure or my drive itself?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
  3. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    It was working perfectly before the HR34 was installed. I'm having a hard time believing it suddenly went.

**EDIT**

Well I connected it to an HR24 I have and it said there were errors and it is scanning the drive. I have a feeling the HR24 doesn't like something about the HR34's formatting.

Now, why can I get to the disk check ont he HR24 and not the HR34.

4. L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK Godfather

May 31, 2006
    While we're on the subject, is there a way to tell if you're running off of the external drive WITHOUT just unplugging it and letting the box reboot to the internal HD? My connections are kind of a pain to get to so I was just wondering...

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you have something recorded on each drive you'll easily know which drive you are on.

6. L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK Godfather

May 31, 2006
    The internal one is empty..never used..thats why I was wondering...how do I know if the eSata fired up or not and the recordings I have are really on the external. Guess I'll just have to unplug it and reboot if I want to see...

7. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, I got it to work. I hooked the drive up to my computer using USB and used the adminstrative tools to clear all the partitions currently on the drive.

When I hooked back up to the HR34, it reformatted it and everything is good now.

8. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    As a quick followup on the enclosures... After getting it up and running in the Antec MX-1 enclosure, I took the drive out of the Antec(since the fan on it is getting annoying) and put it back into the Thermaltake single dock and it work there too.

I also tried the Thermaltake dual dock that I had on my old HR20(with only one drive installed) and that worked on the HR34 as well. That was a surprise since the Thermaltake dual dock does NOT work on either of my HR24s. I get an error during bootup.

So for anyone else with this issue down the line, it seems that something went amiss when the HR34 reformatted my previous HR24 external drive.

I ran the thing through the HR24's surface scan(took about 8 hrs) and it didn't find any errors, but it still refused to boot, even on the HR24.

I connected the drive to Windows via USB and when I looked at the drive in windows, it showed 3 separate partitions, which I thought was wierd. I expected to only see 2, but then again, I don't know these things all that well. After wiping ALL the partitions, so all I had was unallocated space, that seemed to do the trick and the HR34 reformatted it again and it was off and running.

I'm wondering if I should report this as a bug on the HR34.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sure, you could, but external drive is not a officially supported feature.

BTW, you lost your chance to know why HR34 messed up with the pre-formatted drive - there were log files, what has all that messages...