1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Robbie735, May 18, 2017.

1. Robbie735

Robbie735 New Member

May 18, 2017
    We had a bad storm yesterday. For more than an hour, I was getting no connection to the satellite.

So, I followed the instructions on the screen.

1) Make sure the SWM is plugged in and light is green. It was.

2) Make sure all cables are plugged in. They were.

3) Turn off power. Turn back on. This fixed nothing.

4) Unplug cords and plug back in. And this is where I hit a problem.

When I unplugged the coaxial cable from the back of the DVR, the plastic/rubber ring that's inside the threaded housing (on the back of the DVR) came out along with the coaxial cable. The plastic/rubber ring was broken into several pieces and the tiny metal tube that the coaxial cable prong actually slides into fell out onto the floor. So, while I can screw the coaxial cable into the DVR, it no longer has anything to connect to.

In hindsight, I'm 75% sure that the original problem was entirely related to the storm and probably would have solved itself had I just waited.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I need to just call for a technician to come? And will they actually fix it or junk the box and give me a new one? And am I gonna get charged a ton for the new box?

I keep thinking I should be able to move the "Satellite In 2" metal piece over to the "Satellite In 1 SWM" position, but that would require opening the DVR box and I'm sure that would violate their rules.

Any thoughts?

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Do you have the Protection plan? What receiver do you have?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them and tell them what happened. You were following the instructions they gave on the screen and the connection broke.
    At most it should cost you no more than $20 for the shipping fee for a replacement. You will have to set up and activate the receiver once you receive it.

4. Robbie735

Robbie735 New Member

May 18, 2017
    HR21/100
    No protection plan.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I agree with Jimmie. Tell them that you followed the instructions on the screen and what happened.

Even if they do charge you the $20 for shipping, the bright side is that you will get a much faster HR24 to replace your HR21. The down side is that you will lose any recordings that are currently on your HR21. There is no way to copy them to a new DVR.

My guess is that they will try to convert you to a Genie.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you have to use a wrench on the barrel?

Rich

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    dynamo-metric kind ?

8. Robbie735

Robbie735 New Member

May 18, 2017
    No wrench was used. The coaxial cable unscrewed easily by hand.

9. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    As for the recordings this could work out. They will not want the HR21 back, just the access card. There is no super tight deadline on returning the card so if you take a few weeks no big deal. Since you cant hook it up to the satellite it cant receive the kill signal when deactivated. Watch all the recordings off the HR21 but do it as quick as you can as there is no guarantee how long it will keep playing back in this circumstance. In some cases only a few days, in other cases it has lasted months

Rich, DishCSR and jimmie57 like this.
  10. Robbie735

Robbie735 New Member

May 18, 2017
    I called them tonight and explained exactly what the problem was. The woman seemed somewhat confused the whole time and had to "check something" several times. Eventually, she came to the conclusion that it sounds like "something might be broken". She then apologetically told me that they'd have to send me a new DVR, which is fine because I'd already concluded that would be the end result.

It should be here in 2-3 business days. So, I guess my problem is fixed. Thanks.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    not so easy...
    DTV do streaming special tables in APG stream [VO, see it's patented], so if IRD/STB/DVR will not get them, it will lost activation

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Reason I asked was: I used a wrench to tighten the coax to a 24-200 and the barrel spun and broke the connector inside the bulkhead rendering the 200 useless. Last time I used a wrench on a DVR.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It is easy, Pete. Just take the coax off the HR before you deactivate the HR and you'll be able to play the content for quite a while. How long? No set time I know of but it's long enough to watch valued content as a rule.

Rich

14. Robbie735

Robbie735 New Member

May 18, 2017
    The DVR just arrived. The lady on the phone said it would be the same model, but it most certainly isn't. It is a much newer model. Significantly smaller. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most likely an HR24-X00

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    any chance to find the model ID ? usually on small label behind smart card door or a sticker on bottom

17. Robbie735

Robbie735 New Member

May 18, 2017
    HR24/500