1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony 700 Remote

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bofurley, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Has any one had any experience programming the harmony 700 remote to 2 DTv receivers?
    I am having the Genie receiver installed on Monday and want to leave it and the HR24 receiver in the same room.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes, it's really easy. You just set one of the DVRs to an alternate code set, in Remote Settings, while you cover the IR port of the one you don't want to change. I generally use a towel. Once you have them accepting different remote codes you can add the 2nd as a new device on the Harmony. You'll have to have the Harmony learn the keys though.

3. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There's one potential glitch in the system if you change the code off default for the 24 and it's a -100 model. They use the default code until it's booted up, then it switches.

5. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I had no problem using the 700 with the HR34, but flipping through the channels is slower on the 700 than Directv remote. I haven't looked into it yet. Any help would be grateful.

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You can lower the key timings in the harmony setup.

7. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I had a 700 remote for a while but went to the 360 because I needed to support more devices. I set my second HR21 to use AV1. The codes I used from the Harmony site were 8877 for the first DVR and 27376 for the second (AV1). There was no need to learn any keys for either HR21.

8. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    The default delay is at 100. What should I set it to, maybe to 50?

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I think I went down to 10.

10. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I keep getting this error when I try to change the delay to 10 or 50.

<<The value you specified for Inter-Key Delay was incorrect!Please enter a number between 0 and 25000 that is a multiple of 100 for each delay.(Note - Power On Delay may be as high as 60000)>>

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I do not remember seeing that error.

12. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    A delay of 100 is 1/10 of a second. I don't think you can set it at less than that. I set my Inter-Key delay for my HR21-700s at 500. At 100 I get a lot of double button presses and an occasional skip to the end of a recording when doing several 30 second skip forwards.

At 500, my channel changes using my Harmony Remote are as fast as using the DirecTV remote.

13. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Changing the delays within the Harmony Remote setup is not going to help make anything faster. The delays are used mostly for activities and define how much time to wait after sending a command until you send the next command. There is no delay on sending the first command.

Power on Delay (default 1500 or 1.5 seconds):
    When a power on command is sent to this device, how much delay until the next command can be sent.

Inter-Key Delay (default 100 or 1/10 second):
    When a key command other than power on is sent to this device, how much delay until the next command can be sent to the same device.

Inter-Device Delay (default 500 or 1/2 second):
    When any command is sent to this device, how much delay until a command can be sent to a different device.
    Since all IR commands are seen by all devices and need to be interpreted, some devices need more time than others to be able to accept the next IR sequence.

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Not true. The Inter-key Delay is for the device period regardless of whether or not the keypress is part of an activity or not. When I got my first harmony I did extensive testing and raising that number significantly slows down the speed at which a command is sent to a device during "normal use", not an activity change.

15. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    This comes directly from the Help screen from the Logitech Harmony Remote Software (7.7.0). Note the use of the word "multiple". I changed one of my DVR Inter-key Delays to 5000 and cannot see any difference for the first key press. Of course immediate subsequent key presses take an additional 5 seconds to respond.

Inter-key Delay. When a device receives an infrared command the device is considered"busy" while it processes the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another command is known as the inter-key delay, and normally ranges from zero to 300 milliseconds. Devices with long inter-key delays take longer to respond to multiple infrared commands (e.g., when changing television channels).

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Ummmm... You set it to 5000 and now it takes "an additional 5 seconds to respond". That pretty much backs up what I said. The higher the number the longer it takes a key press to take place regardless of it being an "activity" or not. The lower the number the faster the information is sent to the DVR. Again, I did extensive testing with my Harmony when I first got one. I completely understand what is going on.

17. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    This ^^^^^^^ is absolutly correct.

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have found that the vast majority of my devices, including my DirecTV receivers, respond just fine with the inter-key delay set to 0 (same with the inter-device delay).

Power on, and Input delays do tend to vary quite a bit though.

Another one to adjust to speed things up is the repeat setting. It is a bit tougher to find though. I think you go to troubleshoot, and then my device responds too many times or not at all (or something like that) and then you should be able to set the repeat from 0 to 5. I have found that the majority of my devices work fine with the repeat setting at 0, and it speeds things up a lot (a few have to be set at 1).

19. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Thanks for the tip, I never knew those parameters within troubleshoot existed. I'll give them a try.

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Just to clarify, the settings allowed for repeats are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 0 means the remote only sends the command once, 1 means it sends the command and then repeats the command one more time, etc. The lower the setting the faster the remote responds. (The way I initially wrote it kind of seemed like I was saying to change the setting from 0 to 5, that would make the remote respond much slower).