Harmony 880 Remote

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by JM Anthony, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Just got one of these puppies today and so far I'm pretty impressed. It replaces an MX-700 that no one really liked to use (not even me). Setup on the 880 was a piece of cake - plug in device, manufacturer, and model number. Configuring different functions was also a snap as the 880 walked you through the setup decisions you had to make. All very intuitive. This one looks like it will score some points (or erase some black marks depending on your perspective) with my wife and daughters. More notes to follow after I've had a chance to use it for a while.

John

2. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I have the MX-800 which is the same as your 700 except it came with the UHF repeater system for control of devices inside a cabinet. I spent quite a bit of time learning and programming the 800 to the point I would not want to repeat the process. However there is one feature your Harmony has that I wish the 800 had. LiION rechargeable station. about 4 times a year I need to put in fresh batteries and it is always an inconvenient time. I'm also curious as to how their smart macro program works compared to the macro programming on the 700/800..

The color LCD screen is impressive but it it a touch screen? That would be cool. I've been thinking about trying out an IR program for my IPAQ which would be a touch screen remote control.

Compared to others, I've tried to use the 800 is the first one my wife can use to do some major watching while I'm away. She has it down now because I have the 800 programmed for one button operation. It turns on the system, dims the lights lowers the screen and switches to one of six sources for volume channel or DVD /VCR controls. Now that she has learned it, I woul;d have a black mark if I changed it. LOL!

Anyway, let me know how those new macros work in that autosetup mode. 2

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    The 880 screen is not a touch screen. Me and Jason will soon be proud owners of an 880 and I am sure we will post our thoughts on it as soon as we use them a bit.

4. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Me and Jason"??? Surely, you meant to say "Jason and I."

Are you two together or something, and do the two of you have collective thoughts?

:rolleyes:

5. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Hey I've been looking at one of those as well, keep us posted how you like it.

I held off due to some complaints about the unit not resting in the charge cradle very well and all the small buttons on the remote.

Where did you get yours? If you look around you can find a pretty good price on these online.

6. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have to get some kind of unified remote, because I am tired of my wife always complaining that she can't watch TV in the family room without someone to turn it on for her. I'll be watching the comments here with great interest.

7. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    For a cheap but excellent remote, Bogy, that's very easy for the family to use, I have this:

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/69.htm

Got it for $20 on ebay.

8. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002

Ofcourse Nick. Given the day I had yesterday and it is continuing today I am lucky to even spell "I" right.

As to the cradle problem. I have read about it and there they have fixed it. Hopefully I get a version with the fix or I might have to do an exchange with Logitech..

From what I have read.. This remote has a very high WAF.

9. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004
    Santa might bring me a 880. I am anxious to play with it.
    Oh, what is waf?

10. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    WAF = Wife Acceptence Factor

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My wife has gone along with all my home theater purchases, but if I can get the simplest remote possible for her it would be a great present for me. :)

12. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Bogy- The MX800, expensive by this thread's standards, has a "sidekick" remote that is greatly simplified. It is updated with the master remote.

I feel this way. If you have a rather complex Home theater with lots of stuff that needs operated, the only way is a robust programmable remote control with macros. If you can manage to have your main receiver do all the switching then you can get by with a simple remote control as long as you can get it to at minimum turn the stuff on. Once you begin to switch video in a scaler/switcher and the audio in your receiver, I think you become a candidate for the macro programmable remote. In this case the only alternative is to use all the remotes dedicated to each device to turn that device on. Some devices can be left in the on state when they are powered down with the receiver switched outlets. Some can't. The issue with the WAF seems to be how to teach her to turn on the device and then the screen and then the sound. A well laid out macro remote is the only solution.

What I found was that the simpler macro programmables were too difficult to program and often had limitations that set up exceptions. The MX800 was the first button hand held remote I used that completely eliminated the exceptions. Using a computer to build the macros was a real nice way to handle that part. You just needed to learn the software. The Harmony named seems to have this capability.

Device codes are not the Holy Grail either. I found them a good starting point but most needed additions and button changes, therefore make sure the remote is a "learning Remote. Not just a remote that you enter the device codes. Finally, be sure the remote you buy will be non-obsoleted by new hardware. It should have an excellent support base. This is why the Pronto is so popular because it probably has the best support base out there. I just don't like the style and prefer a more traditional button remote.

Now, after all this I did find one feature limitation on the MX800. I don't know if it is on the Harmony or not. Some time back I needed to set some DVHS timers for recording HD programs. The MX800 fails as it has no timer based executable macros. I ended up having to buy a Sony and after learning how to program it, used that to set up a timer to switch my DVHS VCR to record unattended.

13. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    If you are fed up with having to deal with the WAF. Heres a remote to fight back!

Attached Files:

14. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    I got mine in a couple of days from Comp U Plus. First time I dealt with these guys and have no complaints. Righteous price - $173. This is the first fairly comprehensive remote (no true macros, but the ability to program activities overcomes a lot of that) that I was able to set up and get up and running in short order (all components entered, configured, and programmed in 20-30 min. tops). Plus it was fun to do!! It's also very intuitive which I like so if I need to make changes six months from now, I don't have to reinvest a big chunk of time to do so.

Set up for "activities" truly is a snap. Watch DVD, for example, has me select from the input options for my TV set, select whether audio is to played back through TV or my receiver, since it's the latter I need to select the audio input for my receiver and then I'm pretty much good to go.

While I haven't had a chance to test this one yet, I was able to set up an activity for my home theater PC and it appears the remote will control Windows Media Center. That's a bonus I hadn't expected.

I like the display although the visuals could be a little bigger for these old eyes. Form factor for the remote itself is nice.

Definitely worth a look.

John

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My system isn't that complex,
    Home Theater Receiver
    DVD player
    Toshiba Tivo DVR-DVD burner
    VCR
    Digital Cable box
    Playstation 2
    standard TV (for now)

I know what is needed to do whatever, and the kids seem to figure it out, but my wife just gets frustrated. She isn't that technically illiterate, its just so seldom that she gets to sit down and watch anything that it isn't worth it to her to learn. She wants to sit down, push a button, and watch tv.

I definately need macros. Right now I have things set up so everything will play through the component input on the monitor, and then I can change it to the better inputs for myself. It would be nice to have the macros so that everyone could enjoy the best signal possible.

I don't want to spend any more than I have to, to do what I need, and while it would be nice to have it as easy to set up as possible, the most important thing is to have it operate as simply as possible. Thanks for the input.

16. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    We both ordered a couple 880's. I already have a Harmony 659 and I really like that. So if the 880 is any reflection of the 659 I am sure it's a great remote. I have had several learning remotes, including a Pronto Pro NG and a Pronto Neo.... For ease of setup and granny friendly operation..... I feel good recommending the Harmony remotes.

17. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    While I don't have an 880, I do have a very early generation Harmony and it is great. I just got 5 880's in for customers yesterday, the last 5 that my distributor had in stock. I was going to order 6 so that I could keep one, but no such luck. Maybe in the next order. :D

18. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Attached is a copy of the user manual. This will give you a better idea of the remote's capabilities and setup requirements. Bogy, I think you should check this out as I think you'd be surprised by its capabilities. Runs my home theater like one of the Pros from Dover.

John

19. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks John. I am interested in this. The LCD screen with the choices of "watch TV" ect. should be simple enough that even my mother could use it. I'll have to see how much cash I get for Christmas. :)

20. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.