Harmony Remote no longer works; all replacements non-functioning as well

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Lord Vader, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1 of 19
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    In my master bedroom I have a Harmony 880 remote that had controlled the TV, HR24 DirecTV receiver, a Sony DVD player, and a Roku3. A couple weeks ago it suddenly stopped working. Completely. The battery was only a couple months old, so I know that wasn't the problem, especially since the battery worked in other Harmony remotes. I tried troubleshooting things, but I was unsuccessful. I ordered a replacement one from ebay, but THAT one didn't work. At all. So I then purchased a new one off ebay, but THAT one was also totally inoperative. Nothing on the remote works: I can't turn the TV on/off; can't change the volume; can't operate the HR24; can't control the Roku3; can't control the DVD player--nothing. I've updated the Harmony software, but that doesn't work. For the life of me, I can't figure out why 3 different Harmony 880s all do not work.

2. Jan 7, 2017 #2 of 19
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I thought things like this only happened to me...

Rich

Lord Vader likes this.
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #3 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Bad box of batteries?

Rich

4. Jan 7, 2017 #4 of 19
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    No, because that battery works fine in my other Harmony Remote. Plus, when I swapped batteries from my other 2 Harmony remotes, the problematic 880 still didn't work.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Jan 7, 2017 #5 of 19
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Anything added to the room where you use the remote that might be interfering with the remote signals?

6. Jan 8, 2017 #6 of 19
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Nope. No changes. The remote simply stopped working and will not control anything. The same problem continued with the two replacement 880s. None worked.

I did take my other 2 Harmony remotes, which are used in other rooms, and updated both to see if they'd work in the master bedroom. They both do. It's only the 880 that simply will not work.

7. Jan 8, 2017 #7 of 19
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you tried using the 880 in the other rooms? Maybe start from scratch resetting the remote and redoing its setup from step 1? Seems there's something either causing interference or the code is messed up. Might just be a trial and error thing to figure it out. Weird one though.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. Jan 8, 2017 #8 of 19
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are they totally dead, or do the buttons work when your press them? Did you get them from the same seller on EBay? Like Rich said, maybe a bad batch of 880s? What models are your other Harmonys?

I'd reset them and start the setup over from scratch.

9. Jan 8, 2017 #9 of 19
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ahh, just a thought. This is really strange.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What is that? Another Tapatalk error, I can only hope. :rolleyes:

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was referring to batteries. Kinda hard to believe even I could get a bunch of bad remotes one after the other.

Rich

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Another option if you have an Android phone -- there are a lot of smart remote apps, some of which are free. Others, like Unified Remote, have a shopping list of side apps - however, for full functionality, there is a charge.
    I have Peel Smart Remote on my Samsung Galaxy 4 phone and two Galaxy tablets. Your device needs to have an IR blaster for most of these remote apps.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't know what you are talking about.... ;)

14. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Doesn't work in other rooms, either. Nor does one of the other 880s I had purchased (but not yet returned). My Harmony Ones work, though.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    When you press the buttons--any button--on the 880s, including my original one and the replacements I bought, which includes a new-in-box one, you can see the signal being sent. It's in the upper right corner of the display. The battery level is at full strength. My Harmony Ones (I have two of them in other rooms) work fine. Moreover, when I programmed my Ones to add my bedroom activities to see if it was the devices that are a problem there, my Ones worked! They can control my master bedroom devices--all of them. It's just some weird thing with the 880s: my original one, a used replacement, and a NEW replacement all are completely and utterly useless, and I cannot figure out why.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I'm guessing some bizzare software issue. And you didntry resetting to factory settings then program just one simple device from scratch, like the tv, to check if it can work? Heck have a friends house you can use it at and see if it works there? It almost sounds like it's in a mode to use a ir repeater and just doesn't do anything because there isn't one.

17. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Believe it or not, yes I did do that. After a bunch of other troubleshooting attempts, I reset it, if you can call it that, to its basic status. I then added one single activity, like "Watch HR24-500," which is the receiver in my room. Nothing. I tried the DVD player, then the Roku 3. All nothing. I haven't tried it in someone else's home yet. I'll have to find someone who'd let me experiment with one of their items. BTW, I've submitted this as a case to Logitech's support people, and I posted it on the Logitech support forums. It's the only thread there with no replies. Go figure. I seem to have everyone stumped.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well if you can't get individual devices to work not surprised activities don't either. So weird.

19. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree.