Harmony remote

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by MChang, Nov 6, 2019.

1. MChang

MChang New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I have my set up being directed by a Harmony remote. Yamaha RX-A780 is the receiving being used. This unit has been in use for 9 months now and it allowed me to see the volume display on the Samsung TV when I changed the volume level. Yesterday it stopped allowing the display. Harmony still adjusted the sound via the Yamaha, but there was no on screen display when changing the sound. I reset the activity on the harmony and it did work again, but stopped again after a few hours. I have a 15ft HMDI run, but I am using an active Monoprice fiber optic HMDI.

Can't figure out what changed that it stopped the sound bar display?

Thanks.

Brian

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Check to see if any of your equipment received a software update.

3. MChang

MChang New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Roku has not been updated since October and is current, Yamaha had an update pending and I put this through and problem persists. Thanks. Brian

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have several Samsung 4K sets with soundbars and AVRs and the only time I see the volume displayed on the TV screen is when the TV speakers are turned on. I don't think you should be seeing a volume display on the set. When you go into the TV set's settings the set's speakers should not be "on" when using an AVR or a soundbar.

Rich

5. MChang

MChang New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Worked fine for me for 9 months then without my changing anything stopped working. I did the firmware update on the Yamaha and it did not initially work, but has started working again. fingers crossed. Thanks Brian

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait you are specifically talking just about the on screen display of volume level on the Tv from the Yamaha receiver?

This has nothing at all to do with your remote. That’s a setting in the Yamaha receiver itself. You will need to go into the Yamaha settings and look for the setting. Probably labeled something like OSD or on screen display.

Although one other thing... this only works if your running your video sources through the receiver and the receiver is connected to the tv video.

Also any chance you turned on some video isolation setting of some sort. That can also turn off osd....

7. MChang

MChang New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    The Yamaha is the sound volume control and we use bookshelf speakers. Working now, but I will review odd options. Thanks Brian