Harmony Remotes...Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Rich, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Here's a link to the story I read this morning: Logitech officially discontinues its Harmony remotes
    From that article: Logitech said Friday it is discontinuing its line of Harmony universal remotes, ending years of speculation that the devices were on their way out. Models that are currently in stock at retailers will be available while supplies last, and the company says it will continue to provide support and service for the Harmony remote “as long as customers are using it.”

I'm not surprised. I have one that I never use, and I bought two more and returned them. I'd rather use remotes that are dedicated to the devices rather than any universal remotes. Just my opinion, I understand why some folks like them. At least, they plan to "provide support and service for the Harmony remote “as long as customers are using it.” I've always liked the way Logitech handled things.

Rich

WestDC and b4pjoe like this.
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same here.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Considering how many things are moving to integrate into Alexa and Siri at this point as well, I can have Siri turn on my tv and put it on the right input.... then you really only need one remote that controls the actual source device you are using, I can see how their sales have probably been falling.

4. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I still use a couple of Harmony paddles. No "smart" speaker or voice assistant here.

5. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Time to buy a spare Harmony remote.

sigma1914 likes this.
  6. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I own two Harmony One remotes (the best one from Logitech I think), and I absolutely love them. With one push, I can turn on all my devices at once, set it on the proper HDMI on my TV, and receiver, control everything in an easy way. One remote to control all my devices, otherwise, I'd need 7 different remotes. YUCK

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    TheRatPatrol likes this.
  7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If there was just one remote that worked great for every device in terms of having the right buttons in the right locations, you might have a winner. As it is, few universal remotes check all (or even many) of the boxes.

Modern remotes are much more than just setting up a scene.

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have been using Harmony remotes for years. If, and when, my current remote stops functioning, what is the recommended next best universal remote that I should consider?

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The time to worry about that is when your Harmony fails because the options seem to be thinning out fairly rapidly. Universal remotes need to be able to do a lot more things these days to keep up with DVRs and streaming devices (including sound systems).

Hopefully touchpads don't catch on any more than they already have.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you have an Apple TV?

Rich

11. Brad_73

Brad_73 Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Southeast, GA
    There are many great control systems to choose from. The problem is the software.

The 2 biggest contenders at the lower price points you will want to look at is URC and RTI. But since the software is restricted on both, you will want to make sure you can get the software from somewhere "before" you purchase a remote. The file size is around 1GB, so it isn't like someone can email it to you. And download sites hosting the software are very difficult to find. Those caught hosting the software get taken down pretty quickly. So again, make sure the place you buy the remote from supplies you with a copy of the software (usually USB drive). Then guard that software with your life (back it up in multiple locations). If you loose it, you are probably screwed!

The next hurdle is learning how to use the software (it is not wizard based and it isn't necessarily simple). Once you get that down, the remotes from URC or RTI are much more powerful than the Harmony stuff. Take note = if you want to get into IP controlled devices, the cost with RTI is going to get a lot more expensive than Harmony due to the cost of the base controller (hub). And URC's Total Control (TC) system is very dealer protected, so that will probably not be an option for IP control. You can't control with IP on URC's Complete Control (CCP) system. *note the old URC remotes in the CCP line that could control IP, have long since been discontinued (moved to the TC platform).

If you look at URC, avoid the MX-780. It is a horrible remote that will bring you nothing but pain. High chance of screen issues, battery drain issues, and just using the thing with that tiny screen is tedious. The MX-890 is much better and the MX-990 even more so.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's no Apple hardware in my house. I'm thinking of others who suffer goofy remote control paradigms.

There are a number of devices (including some televisions) that use trackpads or other unconventional pointing methods (think pointing remotes) and for those systems, the solutions in the universal remote realm are pretty thin.

A fully functioning HDMI-CEC can address a lot of what people use universal remotes for: setting scenes.

In case anyone was wondering, I do not consider using smart phones or tablets as a viable alternative to a proper remote. Further, I don't see menu trees as an alternative to a dedicated button remote (both DIRECTV and DISH have gone the wrong way here).

13. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Actually the person above you just described one. The Harmony One. Best remote ever since programming one using the JP1 interface. I even sent this one out to the guy that replaces the MB. Still a tactile guy I guess - not a fan of speaking commands.

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I agree what ever you speak to also listens to everything said and reports to places unknown

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Harmony One (and the very similar Harmony 900) is probably the best layout that they offered but it could be improved. You neglect to mention that it was long ago discontinued.

The Harmony One didn't do Bluetooth or Wi-fi and that's a serious omission with modern CE gear. A universal remote should obviously be able to control everything, not just set the scene.

16. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Time to buy a spare remote.

17. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the detailed feedback, although neither the URC nor the UTI sound as user-friendly as my Harmony remotes. I am still using a Harmony One in the bedroom, although one of the keys is getting sticky. I am considering sending it to someone who specializes in re-furnishing Harmony remotes. My primary remote is the Harmony 950, and I have a Harmony Ultimate Home as a backup. I'll probably be OK for some time. I don't use IP control or Bluetooth, and My Harmony Hub sits unused in a drawer.

18. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Don't know why some people are so anti touch screens. My Pronto pro now alas discontinued is by far the best remote I have ever had. I can layout the screens exactly how I want, don't have to clutter things up with irrelevant buttons, all my devices look like they are part of the same family, anyone can use it without a training course!

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, getting the family to accept the Harmony remotes was impossible. I don't see why folks complain about any remote touchpads; I think they make things simpler. Why anyone would complain about the ATV remotes baffles me. Used properly, I think it's one of the best remotes I've ever used. Of course, they don't work well with cable replacement services such as ATT TV. The ATV remotes were not designed with those services and to use them with those services is an act of futility.

Rich

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's a substantial difference between the "touchscreen" with virtual buttons on the Pronto and a "touchpad"/"trackpad" that you doodle "gestures" on with your finger.

While not as complex as Palm's Graffiti, it is something you have to learn.