1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry's Law

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Cholly, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    How many of you have watched the new series on NBC, Mondays? It stars a great actress, Kathy Bates, in the title role of a lawyer who has given up a lucrative career in patent law to start a practice as a trial lawyer in a poor section of town. I missed the pilot, but saw the second show and think it may well be on my must see list.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Been enjoying the show so far. Another new show that I like is Fairly Legal with Sarah Shahi.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    So far...some snappy writing, and Kathy Bates is making it happen.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    So far... I'm a little less impressed than I hoped to be. It's classic David E. Kelley... absurd activist courtroom comedy/drama, long on heart and exceedingly short on realism. That sure was fun when it was called Ally McBeal, it was pleasant enough when it was called Boston Legal but third time to the well... I'm not sure I'm up for it.

I like Kathy Bates and the supporting cast also has some real potential but this series has to convince me that it's worth investing in it rather than just watching Calista Flockhart or William Shatner in reruns.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Have them recorded, but haven't watched any yet.

Watched the pilot and 10 minutes of the second episode and then dumped it. I thought it was really annoying how she runs into situations every day where she has to mediate (armed robbery in Pilot, coffee incident in second episode).

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We like the show. We'll watch it until [strike]Comcast[/strike] NBCUniversal cancels it. I admit I take secret pleasure in watching Kelley's attorneys-discuss-social-issues shows but I can't imagine the new owners of NBCU sharing my views.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We've been watching, since it supposedly is based on Cincinnati, and we like Kathy Bates.

Of course in the pilot, the most accurate thing about Cincinnati was the area code on the for lease sign and they used the right state flag. Even the skyline is inaccurate by at least 8 years. But even Rainman didn't stay true to geography.

Bates plays the smart but slightly crazy role well. For some reason, her role in Primary Colors is one of my favorites.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree.

MrsHDTVFan calls her the "House MD" of "Lawyers". :D:lol:

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm a little disappointed by the stories so far. E.g., the verdict in last week's episode strained credulity, IMO, even though it was the desired result. I'll give it a couple of more shows because we love Kathy Bates and I enjoyed Boston Legal, but if the writing doesn't improve...

In the meantime, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Outlaw and Whole Truth may eventually make it back.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Good thing you're just crossing your fingers, not holding your breath. You can buy the Complete Series of Outlaw from Amazon, and they'll send it to you on DVD-R. Maybe they'll release Whole Truth with the unaired episodes.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Almost afraid to admit we like it ... but we do - moreso than Boston Legal. Kathy is at her best.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Better than Fried Green Tomatoes? Nah....:sure:

The show is past stretching credulity. Crazy is Kathy pulling a pistol to dispatch vermin in a crowded office? That's the least of it. Still undecided, so I am watching.

13. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    I love the quick witted dialog. Although it can get a little preachy. The "dramatic" music and prolonged pauses on the way to commercial are almost corny to the point of comical!

The jury is still out on this for me, so far the one or two witty jokes a week has been enough to keep it on my watch list... But it's in danger of being cut

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree that Kathy's still on top of her game. I just hope the scripts get a little better.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know, Steve... it's not just the writing, I think they need better characters too.

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Yeah, TV shows do that a lot. :rolleyes:

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Maybe, but with the right writing, IMO, the DA has Perry Mason's Hamilton Burger "righteous loser" potential. And I like the "neighborhood protection" kid (Damien?). And I think Tommy Jefferson's a hoot. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him again in the next episode.

18. MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    We're liking it, I hope the show makes it.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If it wasn't on NBC ...

Maybe this year would be a better one to put Jay on at 10pm (ET) ... or compete with the Fox stations by putting local news at 10 and Jay at 10:35 (ET).

There seems to be too much "fate" in the shows ... and the incredulous and incorrect verdicts reached make me want to skip the courtroom scenes.

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    There are several shows like this one that have some bizarre timeslots...almost like they are set up to fail.

It used to be new shows like Harry's Law would be coupled with some existing successful show to launch, and then moved to a friedly day/time if ratings were OK.