DBSTalk Forum banner

"Hart of Dixie". Great Southern/Country/Blues/Folk soundtrack

Tags
ultimatetv
20K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  phrelin 
#1 ·
Yes "Hart of Dixie" is a show on The CW. It isn't badly written, acted, directed, etc., despite the core audience of the network. But what has me leaving it on my recording list while dumping "Ringer" and "The Secret Circle" is the music.

I'm including links to Amazon's site so you can sample each one though most are also available through iTunes and other sources.

Unlike everything else on The CW all the music is great Southern/Country/Blues/Folk. Here's from the pilot's playlist:

(There was an interesting sounding rap song used near the beginning while Hart was still in NYC, Best Love Song by T-pain featuring Chris Brown.)

Anyway, if the other elements of the show stay about as good as or better then the pilot, than the sound track may keep it in our record list all season.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm going to continue to do this in case someone else is interested. Here's the Episode 2 Parades and Pariahs music list which, if you like Great Southern/Country/Blues/Folk music, is the real reason to watch a show that is a bit of charming fluff, not bad, but definitely not an Emmy nominee:

Again, the links are to Amazon to allow you to listen to a sample of each song, but each song can be purchased at iTunes or elsewhere.

#6 ·
Now that The CW has picked up the whole season, this will end up being a great playlist. From episode 3 Gumbo and Glory:
  • Barefoot and Crazy by Jack Ingram, a Texas Country artist.
  • Fletcher by Blitzen Trapper, Portland, Oregon-based experimental alternative country/folk group that in 2008 had an album ranked #13 on Rolling Stone's Best Albums of 2008 from which the title track was ranked #4 on the magazine's Best Singles of 2008.
  • I'm Southern by The Cadillac Black, the group's second song to appear on the series.
    I'm happy the show has been picked up for a full season as it will allow for a great playlist. Here's the list from episode 3:
  • Little Lie by Lindi Ortega, a Canadian singer-songwriter and musician, known for her voice that has been described as a blend of Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, and Emmylou Harris called "Toronto's best kept secret" (I'm linking to the album and suggest playing the second track to understand the Dolly Parton reference).
  • West Virginia Baby by James River Station, one of only seven country acts in all of Southern California chosen for the TEXACO COUNTRY SHOWDOWN, where they performed at KNOTTS BERRY FARM; Out of thousands of performers and acts, James River Station was chosen by GOCOUNTRY 105fm listeners and program directors (song not yet available but can be heard on ReverbNation here.
Also there was a song out of the genre, Reluctance by Keegan Dewitt, a young film composer, singer-songwriter and actor.

#8 ·
sgh022 said:
I cant wait to find out what the last song was on episode 4 when she takes a dip in the lake! I loved it! I love this show!
OK, from episode #4 In Havoc and In Heat:
I'm sorry to say, I cannot find any links to the last song. In fact, neither I nor other sources I use can find anything about the group or the song. A search on either or both pretty much ends up with too much. There are many songs with the same name. And a search on "FM Radio" cranks out thousands of results. I'm setting up a Google Search should more appear on the interwebs specific to the song and group and "Hart of Dixie", but if anyone can find anything post it here.

#9 ·
Ok, fortunately someone posted this on YouTube as the interweb is beginning to grumble over the fact that no one can find this song (and the view ain't bad neither :grin:).

#10 ·
I got a bit behind here, but here's from Episode #5 Faith and Infidelity:
  • Burning Up The Sky by The Parson Red Heads a Folk/Indie group out of Portland, Oregon.
  • Crazy For Now by Jason Jones, an American country music singer.
  • Glorify by Ivan & Alyosha, a folk-pop, indie, rock band from Seattle, Washington, and were named one of NPR's top 100 of the 2010 South by Southwest (SXSW) music festival.
  • The Possibilities by Tim Myers is not available; he is an American singer, songwriter and musician who played bass in the band OneRepublic from 2004-2007.

#11 ·
And I'll be darned if the "duo" FM Radio that did Lead Me Home by FM Radio in Episode #4 is Tim Myers and Schuyler Fisk. Here's their FM Radio MySpace page. And according to a post on their Facebook Page, they will be releasing Lead Me Home soon.

#12 ·
bobukcat said:
I would love to watch this show as I like the sound of the story line and definitely like Rachel Bilson from her short stint on Chuck in Season 2 but it's not on in HD here so that kills it for me.
It is in SD for me here too. But I like the show enough to put up with it. It is such a sweet, sappy show of the sort you don't see much, or at least I haven't, for a long time.

#13 ·
lparsons21 said:
It is in SD for me here too. But I like the show enough to put up with it. It is such a sweet, sappy show of the sort you don't see much, or at least I haven't, for a long time.
Yep, SD for us too. Each year we have a show that allows us to dig our way out from under all the dead bodies piling up from the crime solving procedurals and simply enjoy light, fluffy drama. This year its "Hart of Dixie." Plus the sound track is really different.

#15 ·
godfatherfreak said:
do you know what song was playing when zoey was pretending to answer the phone while she had her legs up on the table? it sounds like the song was by phoenix
Sorry, but my memory is that of an old person and it's now been almost two weeks since the most recent episode has aired.... However, if you go to the Tunefind web page you may get enough description to get your answer.

#16 ·
I've gotten a little behind here.

From Episode 6 The Undead & The Unsaid:
  • My Goodness by The Belle Brigade, an American vocal and instrumental duo consisting of siblings Barbara Gruska on guitar, drums, and vocals, and her younger brother Ethan Gruska on guitar, piano, and vocals.
  • On and On by Martinez & Guthrie, a bluegrass and alt country duo (link a name your price download from their site).
  • Under Streetlights by Brooke Annibale who is an acoustic pop folk singer-songwriter.
  • Honey Rag by Gavin Glass is not available; Glass is a multi-instrumentalist/singer-songwriter from Stillorgan, Dublin, Ireland.
And these which are not part of "Great Southern/Country/Blues/Folk soundtrack":
Episodes 7 & 8 coming soon.

#17 ·
I guess I used "soon" in my last post a little like Dish Network uses the word. But I will get the rest of these done this week as the last episode had some really great music.

From Episode 7 The Crush & The Crossbow:
  • (Kissed You) Good Night by Gloriana, an American country music group that in 2010 won the Academy of Country Music Awards Top New Vocal Group award.
  • Bye Now by Billy D. and the HooDoos is not available; Billy D(esmond) is a Blues Rock, singer, guitarist, & songwriter and the group with him recently won The Cascade Blues Association's Muddy Award for Best New Act.
  • Ease Your Mind by Matthew Mayfield, an American singer-songwriter from Birmingham, Alabama who before beginning is solo career was the lead singer in the group Moses Mayfield.
  • Paris (Ooh La La) by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (see post #8 above)
  • Put Your Good Time On by Jason Jones is not available though a live club performance is available to view at YouTube
  • Ribbon of Red by Sonia Leigh, an American country music singer-songwriter who after wrapping up her latest sojourn across the U.S. with Zac Brown Band and an appearance with Willie Nelson,will join Eric Church for nine raucous dates on his 2012 Blood, Sweat, & Beers Tour.
  • Silverlined by (Chris) Bejole.
  • Sweet Love Grows by Danny Myrick who grew up the son of a South Mississippi preacher singing in a gospel family band, recorded his first album at the age of 7 with that band, was lead singer for country band Western Flyer, sang background vocals on albums by Montomery Gentry, Keith Anderson, Blake Shelton and others; and now writes for Root 49 Music and works as a writer and/or producer with numerous artists including Bridgette Tatum, Alice Peacock, Kate and Kacey, Ann Marie and The Farm; he has had numerous cuts including Craig Morgan's "International Harvester", Big and Rich's "LOUD", Gloriana's "How Far Do You Wanna Go" and 2009's most played country song, "She's Country" by Jason Aldean; and now has multiple cuts on new cds by the Jane Dear Girls, Gloriana, Eden's Edge and Joe Cocker.

#18 ·
From Episode 8 Homecoming and Coming Home which included music "outside the genre" because of the party planned by Zoe's friend the NY party planner:

#19 ·
From Episode 9 The Pirate and the Practice:
  • Every Day's A Holiday by The JaneDear Girls are an American country duo, consisting of Susie Brown (vocals, mandolin, fiddle, bass, guitar, accordion) from Alpine, Utah, and Danelle Leverett (vocals, guitar, banjo, harmonica) from Amarillo, Texas; they received their first nominations in 2011 at Academy of Country Music Awards including Top Vocal Duo and Top New Vocal Duo or Group.
  • I Can't Be Satisfied by Nikki Lane, a 25-year-old South Carolina native whose raw, Tammy Wynette-style voice gives her retro-country sound its stamp of authenticity.
  • Love's Got It's Pros and Cons by Adam Zelkind is not available.
  • Melancholy Moment by Jane and Anthony is not available from stores but can be downloaded free from their web site here and you can read their bio here.
  • Rollin' by Gerrit De Boer
  • Shotgun Girl by The JaneDear Girls debuted on the Hot Country Songs chart where it remained for 20 weeks, peaking at number 36 in July 2011.
  • Still Runnin' by Jonathan Singleton, an American country music singer and songwriter who in 2009 founded a band called Jonathan Singleton & the Grove; but the track is not available anywhere.

#20 ·
Episode 10 Hairdos and Holidays was the last one until January and was an episode that provided a critical backstory that will help make the show work. It also had some great music including some Christmas songs:

• A Place Only You Can Go by NEEDTOBREATHE, a haunting song from a great album by an American rock band from Seneca, South Carolina, that has charted on mainstream rock/pop charts, though they have had their greatest number of singles on Christian music charts.
  • Ho Hey by The Lumineers, a group whose debut (Self-Titled) album will be released in March 2012 offer Americana-inflected barnburners and slow, sultry ballads that suggest the raw revelations; this song is not available though a video is available on their website.
  • Lonesome Goes Both Ways by Adam Zelkind & Hannah Aldridge is not available; this is another one of those "who are these people?!!"; Aldridge does have a website and a really outstanding YouTube official video ; Zelkind has a huge listing on IMDb of credits as a TV songwriter and has won ASCAP Awards for Most Performed Themes and Underscores and BMI Cable Award.
  • Lost In My Mind by The Head and the Heart, an indie folk-pop band from Seattle, Washington, in 2011 Seattle's City Arts Magazine named them "Seattle's Best New Band", and the band made their network television debut on April 21, 2011 on Conan.
Christmas songs:
  • Away In A Manger by High Valley, an award winning Canadian country music group from Blumenort, Alberta.
  • Blue Christmas by Julie Roberts, an American country music singer with a number of Country chart releases.
  • Jingle Bell Rock by Rascal Flatts, the multiple award winning, multiple platinum album, Columbus, Ohio, American country music band.
  • Jinglin' Jingle Bell by Jessica Campbell, a pop singer from Catawba, North Carolina, who while attending college contiued writing songs, recording, performing at Dollywood (Dolly Parton's theme park), singing song demos, leading music at church, and touring.
  • Oh Christmas Tree by Brad Gordon isn' available but you can go to his MySpace site and play this weird little homage to the morning after the Christmas party.

#21 ·
From the Pilot episode, the previously unavailable Patsy Kline cover "Crazy" by The Kills is available as a track on the Live Sessions EP exclusively at iTunes.

And from Episode 4 here's Lead Me Home by FM Radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.