Has anyone canceled without having to pay cancellation fee?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Ed Kreiling, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Ed Kreiling

Ed Kreiling New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    FL
    We canceled our cable and internet service because the price was just skyrocketing. Got the ATT fiber internet and Direct TV about 10 months ago. Currently in the standard 2 yr contract. Being as we're located in the Tampa area of FL we often have horrendous thunderstorms that usually happen in the afternoon and early evening that TOTALLY screw up or picture with pixelation or even go to black screen. This happens virtually EVERY day weather we actually have storms or not. We also have lost our local NBC local channel do to contract dispute between DTV and the local channel which has now entered it's second week. So because of this I want to dump DTV and go with another streaming service (Not DTVNow). We hopefully will be able to keep the ATT internet service. What would you say my chances of canceling without the cancellation fee because of the lack of reliable service I've received? Would it be advisable to contact a lawyer about this and threaten DTV with that. Or does anyone know what sort of hit my credit rating would get for cancelling and not paying the cancellation fee. We currently maintain a very high Beacon score. As you can tell I'm really peeved over this issue and intend to do something in the near future. Any help and thoughts would be appreciated.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Slim to none. Pay the 280 dollars and move on. Not worth the aggravation

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Satellite service providers cannot be held accountable for weather conditions. Water saturated clouds that are in the dish's LOS will interfere with the satellite's signal even if it's not raining. You were aware of the weather conditions at your location and still subscribed to DIRECTV. Their service is reliable. The weather at your location is not. Lawyers rarely work for free but will gladly bill you for a hour of their time after telling you have no case. It's your choice to not pay the ETF and damage your credit rating but if I were you I would take compnurd's advice and pay the $280.00 and move on.

compnurd likes this.
  4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    How much would an attorney cost you and you could(will) probably lose.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    What are your signal levels on all satellites when the weather is clear? If not in the 90s for the CONUS satellites, have Directv come out and fix it. That will help with signal loss.