1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever "Suffered the Consequences" of opening a leased DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Feb 22, 2009.

Have you "Suffered the Consequences"?

1. Yes - I was punished by D* for returning a DVR with the seal broken.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. I'm just clicking this one so I can see the results.

113 vote(s)
    98.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 22, 2009 #1 of 303
    Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Has anyone ever:
    1. Opened their DVR (for what ever reason)
    2. Later returned that DVR
    3. And then ACTUALLY been "punished" by D* for opening the box

And please, first hand accounts only. No "friend of a friend" or "read it somewhere" stories.

Thank you.

2. Feb 22, 2009 #2 of 303
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I replaced a drive in one and a cooling fan in another, but by that point they had become obsolete anyway, D* didn't ask for them back. I have never read where anyone had any trouble returning a unit that had been opened, I doubt they even check, as long as it still works.

3. Feb 22, 2009 #3 of 303
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You don't need an option for viewing the results, since there's a big link underneath the poll (to the right), for just that option.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #4 of 303
    t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Neither of mine have any seals, and use regular torx screws. Some people reported receiving units with security torx screws in them.

Which is sort of silly. Sears sells security torx bits for a dollar each.

I've heard many others say their units have no seals on them either.

So I suppose if you return a "defective" unit that you broke while fiddling with the innards, they might tag you. Otherwise if you send back a working unit with all the parts in it, all where they're supposed to be, none busted off...I cant imagine a problem.

I doubt they have one of the CSI guys with an electron microscope checking the screws for tool marks.

5. Feb 22, 2009 #5 of 303
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    opened hr20-100 to reseat drive cable. seal was broken. returned to d* 2 months later due to tuner 2 and ota tuner completely dying.
    no repercussions. this was 2 months ago or so that I returned it.

6. Feb 22, 2009 #6 of 303
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I really doubt that anyone does any actual refurbishing. When you get an HR that the power cord keeps falling out of or one that will recognize no remote, how could they possibly be refurbished? I got one that wouldn't even boot up.

I know that D* sends them to a contractor to be "refurbished" and I think all they do is repackage them and off they go to some other poor guy.

Rich

7. Feb 22, 2009 #7 of 303
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Many people have reported receiving units with no seal on them, so just remove the seal entirely and clean off any adhesive residue with solvent.
    But, be advised: you're violating your "terms of service" agreement and I hear the mattress police are looking for other opportunities...:up_to_som

8. Feb 22, 2009 #8 of 303
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It has been reported here that some refurb HR20's have been received with the newer, larger hard drives, so I guess some are getting a little attention.

9. Feb 22, 2009 #9 of 303
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Maybe so, but it's interesting to see just how many (a majority so far) just want to view the results...

10. Feb 22, 2009 #10 of 303
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Probably because the majority of viewers have not opened/returned their receivers.

I have not opened any of mine nor have I returned any.

11. Feb 22, 2009 #11 of 303
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Only one I've ever opened is my owned HR21...

12. Feb 22, 2009 #12 of 303
    Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    That's actually the point of my question.

Violation or not, if there is no penalty then it doesn't matter.

13. Feb 22, 2009 #13 of 303
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The only consequences I can think of is tech support and costs associated with it.

If you have problems and need tech support you might not get it; possibly even be charged for the visit and replacement. Any installers here who might know what that would cost?

If you open the box you better be prepared to support it yourself.

Further, if you damage it how are you going to get it looked at?

The only way it works out is if you never need replacement or support.

I don’t think it’s clearly laid out what the consequences would be but…..:grin:

Mike

14. Feb 22, 2009 #14 of 303
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    As with most things, I think the clause allows them to avoid lawsuits from morons that would lick the contacts to see if they had power. Also to void obvious misuse cases such as weld points inside from arcing screwdrivers or spilling a Pepsi and causing another 3 mile island.

15. Feb 22, 2009 #15 of 303
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Full retail cost.

You will be billed for the service call plus the cost of the receiver. For any HD reciever $299. For SD equipment $49. This is subject to change.

I find it amusing/disappointing at some of the ethics/morals of this thread.

Some say, "hey they will never know, have at it." No harm, no foul right? Just like driving 80 in a school zone. Nothing wrong with that, unless your caught, right?

It's funny how some here want to disregard the agreement you signed when it's convient for you to do so. But when the tables are turned, thread after thread on how DirecTv is an evil company, is screwing the customer, blah, blah, blah sprout up like dandelions. :nono2:

Unreal, bunch of damn hypocrits.

(note, comments not aimed at you Mike ;) )

16. Feb 22, 2009 #16 of 303
    csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    As pointed out earlier, any receiver returned does not go to DirecTV. Just a contractor that has thousands of receivers to check.

I think if you open the receiver and cause a problem you should be willing to accept responsibility for your own actions, but other than the hard drive there's little you can do.

The only people worried about the security stickers are the self appointed DirecTV cops... mostly on this forum.

17. Feb 22, 2009 #17 of 303
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Folks .. Robert makes some good points here .. Opening your leased receiver is a violation of the terms of service with DIRECTV. If you do this, you do so at your own risk. This is NOT recommended by DBSTalk.com .. In fact, quite the contrary. DBSTalk.com recommends that you do NOT open your receiver regardless of whether it is owned or leased.

18. Feb 22, 2009 #18 of 303
    Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    But this is merely your presumption. Not an actual fact. I am trying to find out the reality of this. Not what a bunch of talking heads believe will happen.

Have you personally returned a box to D* that you had opened, and then been charged for having done so?

That is neither here nor there and is not at all what this thread or my poll was supposed to be about.

I just want to find out if the threats made by people here on this board and elsewhere are actually what D* does or just what the uninformed believe will happen.

I'm not trying to sound argumentative here but I am also not interested in peoples' opinions. Just what has or has not actually happened.

And I am not suggesting anyone open their boxes based on what they read here.

19. Feb 22, 2009 #19 of 303
    csgo

csgo Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    I wonder how many have bothered to read a car lease? Many don't allow you to use any aftermarket accessories, so when you plug your GPS or radar detector into the cigarette lighter you're violating the lease. When you use an MP3 player you're violating the lease.

I bet some of the DirecTV cops that are so quick to point these things out about a DirecTV receiver don't bother to have such high morals on their own car, or cell phone, or whatever else they actually lease.

Funny how that works out isn't it?

20. Feb 22, 2009 #20 of 303
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Presumption? No.

Fact? Yes.

I have the documents to prove it. Of course someone will ask for it to be posted. I can't disclose all the information in the document. I can and will provide a copy to a moderator at their request for verification if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.