1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone read this book...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've read the reviews for this book, 1Q84, by Haruki Murakami and, judging by the reviews, it sounds like a good book, a really good book. But it's an over 800 page book and I don't normally enjoy books of that length. Here's a link.

Is it worth reading?

Rich

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have not read it, but I suggest going to Amazon and going to the First Pages link. While they skip some pages, quite a bit of the first 200 pages are. Certainly enough to figure out if you want to read the whole thing.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good thought.

Rich

4. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    That's a nice thing about the Kindle - with most books, you can download a free sample of a book that usually has the first few chapters. Generally, it's enough to tell whether you'll like the book.

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have it on my to read list. I have no problem with books of 800 pages.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or on Nook, you can read anything while in the store. Don't know about samples.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For me, depends on the book. Probably couldn't get through Breaking Dawn, but loving 11/22/63.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it's a good read throughout the book, I don't care how long it is either. My question was too simple for what I wanted to know, I guess. I really want to know, from someone who has read this book, if the book is one of those that you just can't put down or does it have periods where it's dull or hard to stay interested in. I hate the thought of reading 400 pages and getting tired of it. Happens to me quite often.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm waiting for the library to send me 11/22/63. Reading Michael Crichton's last book, Micro. Damn shame he had to die so young. Pretty good book, it's finished by Richard Preston and has held my interest quite well. Interesting story.

Rich

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ditto.

First hard cover (non-electronic) book I've read in a couple of years. After reading all the other SK books in hard cover, I just couldn't bring myself to reading this one on my tablet (even though that's how my wife read it). Just something comforting about opening up a new SK book and flipping through the pages. So far, it hasn't eclipsed The Stand or The Talisman, but it's a different kind of book and great in its own right.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think his earlier books were so much better than his newer ones. I look forward to reading 11/22/63.

Rich

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Back to 1Q84:

While the description sounds very cool, I'm leary about a book where even fans of the author state that it's very slow at the beginning and hard to get into. If I'm going to read an 800 page book, I need it to grab me right away.

13. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    After a lifetime of reading books I have develop a six sense reading a review or description of a book that lets me know if I am going to like it or not. This does not applied to what other people will like. One time I was reading Neal Stephenson Cryptonomicon which is almost a 1000 page long and a friend seeing how absorb I was in book ask me if he could borrow it when I finish. Next day after I lend it to him he came up to my desk and threw the book at me. He said that he always believe I was crazy but that now he knew that for a fact.

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If it would have been me - I'd have had it read already ( natural born speed reader ).

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I haven't cared for some of his more recent books, but this is excellent. Doesn't fall into the horror genre, though of course there are references.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't mind books like that, I don't like books that die in the middle or have no real ending.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave up on him awhile ago. Don't know what happens to authors as they get older. You'd think they'd get better and I think most of them do. But take Dale Brown as an example. Wrote great military thrillers when he came on the scene and then started writing some really strange books.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, I haven't got 1Q84 yet, but I did get 11/22/63, which is even longer. 885 pages, I think. I won't say anything about 11/22/63 on the open forum, but I will discuss it by PM.

Rich