1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone regretting adding an external drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by newsposter, Nov 13, 2008.

1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    I was talking to a friend how i want to get that buy.com special for 100 bucks for 1TB and they pointed out to me that if i didnt have the time to watch both dvrs as it was, what would adding more space do for me?

The logic is sound...why do i want to record more stuff? I'm trying to get away from watching tv and do more exciting things.

But then the other logical side of me says if i had a big enough drive that i didnt have to worry about sitting down to empty off the machine, i could do more stuff.

so which logical side wins?

2. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    Sounds like a personal problem ;-)

Actually, I understand perfectly.

For me, with the internal drive I frequently had to make decision about what to kill.
    With 1TB via eSATA, my normal usage pattern seems to keep things at about 35%-40% space available without me actually trying to do anything about it (except for making a point of deleting things after I watch them).

3. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i still dont know what to do...but the conservative choice is save the 100 bucks and just do with what space i have....drives only go cheaper and the reviews on the calvary thread arent all that good.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have one 50-hour receiver and one 100-hour receiver in my main viewing area. I have no intention of expanding other than perhaps one day replacing the 50-hour receiver with a 100-hour receiver.

There's just not enough time to go through all of what I have anyway, so I've never had the urge to add eSATA. I don't typically save programs forever, but I know folks that do.

Also, if you like to save up entire seasons of shows before watching them, then you might need the space. I try to keep up (within 5 episodes) and there are occasions where I'll drop an episode or two, but I consider that the DVRs way of telling me I'm watching too much TV :)

5. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    More space = More Clutter.

6. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    No regrets... (Segate ST3750640AS - 750 gig - Barracuda in an Antec MX-1 enclosure since 6/18/07)... works great!

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'm a packrat by nature. . . and keep a lot of selected shows on the DVR - until they die. .

My biggest problem with the external drive is leaving what's recorded on the internal -- switching back and forth is just too much trouble.

I just added a HR22 this week and it's already down to 90% free!!!

And this comes from a Tivo guy that copied and enlarged drives to the limit, but too lazy now to do it?

8. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    No regrets at all. I have 1tb drives on both HR's in my primary viewing room.

9. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    yea i'm not too thrilled with the rebooting necessity either. tivo benefited from rebooting on a regular basis but not sure it's needed for the hr20

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    No regrets here. 1 TB and loving it. I counted the other day that I have 20 movies waiting for me to watch when I want, plus a lot of weekly TV shows waiting for me to decide when to watch. And I still have over 50% free space.

11. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a 1 TB drive and it's great, especially having kids. We can record stuff we're interested in but aren't must-see without worrying about losing the must-see stuff. And when they have the free premium weekends, we can load up on movies.

12. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I found that adding storage changes the viewing paradigm. When I had DVR's with <50 hours storage, I tended to try and keep up with what was recorded and watched "what was there". When I upgraded one of them to 320 hours it turned into more of a 'video on demand' box. I watched what I most wanted to watch and sometime left shows or entire series on there for 6-12 months. I'd leave the NFL playoffs and superbowl on the box and watch them again in the spring or summer. I'd 'collect' a few dozen movies and watch what I wanted when I wanted it.

So it was pretty different and a very noticeable change in the boxes utility.

A large disk is also an absolute requirement when you have 3 or more people in the house with their own viewing demands. Heck, I must have 80 hours of PBS kids shows on each of our boxes and they're also festooned with Dr. Oprahs View of Rachel Ray, which I've discovered is highly dangerous to delete excess episodes of.

13. kirkus

kirkus AllStar

Mar 20, 2006
    Make sure you go with an internal drive installed in the Antec MX-1. I've had two pre-packaged "external" drives start locking up due to poor ventilation and overheating. The Antec moves lots of air and is very quiet - and a cheaper solution to boot. For what its worth, I'm using the 1TB WD drives. (Had problems with Seagate Freeagents. I'm a big fan of Seagate but the Freeagent externals are not ventilated well enough for this application IMO.)

14. Hoxxx

Hoxxx Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 19, 2004
    i have been using a 750 GB external for over a year. NO REGRETS. I just wish it was 1TB