1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone seen these issues?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mroman, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mroman

mroman Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    The other night my HR20 was set to record a block of shows. Later in the night when I went to watch them I got a message saying 'do you wish to delete? Yes No' just as if I had already watched the program. I rebooted and the programs that were recorded like this were gone from the list. Then tonight, a program was recording so I went to start watching and found the DVR recorded a blank signal. Tuning to the channel that was recorded had a 'searching for signal 771' message. It's like when the scheduler kicks in it knocks out the signal.
    I called DTV to complain and they told me they know about the first issue, the second issue they told me cannot warrant a replacement (even though I have the replacement plan). So basically I'm stuck with a DVR that may or may not record what I want to watch..WTF! I can't reproduce it since it's not consistent.

Does anyone know about these issues? Thanks

2. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    I have seen the second one once before.. not sure how it happened.. Only way that I got it to stop doing that was to do a reset from the menu (or red button).. then it worked fine.. bet 10 to 1 it's related somehow..

But if they are vanishing.. I'm wondering if it's not a drive issue.. a call to the PP # and tell them the drive is making odd noises and losing programs.. might help get a replacement faster...

3. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Yes on the 1st part ,no on the second,i've had the problem of the dvrs recording then deleting programs off and on for over a year now,one of of the reasons i want to get the new directv tivos when they come out next year. Its either that or switch to verizon fios and get a HD tivo.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I think I've seen the first issue on rare occasions when there wasn't an optimal signal at the time of recording. If there are such "recordings" in you play list and you do a reset, then tend to delete as there's really nothing there.

Kind of a matter of checking signal strengths, fittings, etc. It is a frustrating problem because you can't always nail down what the problem was.

Sorry, not to helpful, I'm afraid.

5. mroman

mroman Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Makes no sense really. I have a great signal, just when it goes to record a show sometimes it 'knocks out' the signal then I'm left with a blank recording.

What pisses me off the most is that DTV doesn't acknowledge the issue, won't take my word for it and I can't reproduce it on demand. So what it comes down to is I have a DVR that sometimes records my programs.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    This is usually caused by signal interruptions, or poor signals on one or both DVR tuners.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
    [Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
    [A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA #
    9-16 NA # NA # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
    [Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA # # #
    25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    [Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    [Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(c)) [or 103º(b)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)
    [You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    That's the essence of the HR2x series. It won't happen that often, but you definetly have to babysit the device. Make sure and restart it at least once every couple of weeks. Keep an eye on your history and to do lists for problems. Also, have a backup...DVDs, NetFlix if something is really important to you...it's just not worth getting upset about.

It is important to follow the information above and make sure the rest of the system is working properly (signal strength, BBCs, multiswitch, etc.)

8. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Must be your boxes only, only time my units have had that happen is when there was bad signal strength. Restart every couple of week? Not here, the units restart when a NR is loaded, other then that they run fine.

9. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
  10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Yes, it's only my boxes none of the other problems ever posted here exist.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Ken, I know you've had problems, and I don't know if it's "your boxes", your system, or your location, "but" there are others that don't have your problems.
    The OP's problem [it's a single one] is a loss of signal. The blank recording doesn't show the 771 error, maybe it would be nice if it did as this would let the user know why.
    I haven't had this since the very early days [late '06/early '07]. I've got some receivers I reboot to download often and another that almost never, so there are some of us that simply don't have your problem(s).

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    The first issue has been discussed before and I was having that problem on one of my HR22's. As others have mentioned, it's sometimes a hardware or signal issue. You can try tightening all connections and replacing BBC's.

For me it was a power issue and a UPS solved it. If you have another DVR, I suggest you swap them and see if the issue stays with the HR20 or the room the HR20 is currently in. If the problem remains in that room, you might try plugging your HR into a UPS and see if it resolves it.

13. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Bottom line are these

1. only lost recordings due to poor signel in bad weather, other then that no short recordings or delete recordings

2. Do not restart ANY of the units I have in mainstream use unless I am attemptining to get a CE or a new NR/guide fix requires it.

Not everyone reports the issue that you expierence, and it appears that it is in the minority considering the total number of HR series that are out there. so not sure what to tell you.

14. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I had some odd ones with 771 when I had a combo of a flaky lnb and an intermittent tuner on an hr20-100. what a pita to troubleshoot.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I read the OP's post, and the "two" boil down to one: loss of signal. 771 & the instant keep/delete, with recordings being removed after a reboot, are all the same.
    "Why" could be many things, but I'm also going on over two years now with 3 DVRs that haven't missed one recording. Some do get rebooted once a week, while another almost never gets rebooted.

16. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    VOS,

I guess you didn't have anything scheduled when DirecTV locked them nationwide three times? Sometimes not missing a recording could be nothing more than not recording the shows at certain times or from certain channels. There are plenty of people (as shown with the Blue's Clues thread) that miss recordings. That error (13) has never been fixed.

Look, for you the HR2x is perfect for many others it has some bugs that as I stated originally cause it to miss recordings occasionally. I guess that's just too hard to be believed around here.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I doubt you can find me EVER calling the HR2x "perfect".
    Being on the west coast, I never missed a recording due to a "nationwide" lock. I remember reading about it on the forum.
    I know users experiences are due to the shows they want to record. Blue's Clues isn't one I record. Guide data being supplied by the stations can be bad/wrong. My PBS seems to have problems this week, "but" my recordings are "over recording" the same show. Should one of these cause another show to not record, I too would be pissed.
    Since Blue's clues seems important to you, have you ever called DirecTV and "pushed the issue" enough to have them resolve it?

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    VOS, its KenS...of course he's called and tried to push the issue :D :D

actually I think he posted lasted year on what he tried but may be wrong.

19. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    As you say - it is my bottom line, exactly the same for you it is your bottom line.

I will agree, the single specific unit that is setup in my computer room does get the CE and is rebooted quite often, but then again that is 1 unit out of the multitude that I own and operate, both personally and in the 3 commercial accounts that I deal with.

Appears to be more of a ridiculous response to a ridiculous original post then anything else that is way over the top. The units that are in normal use in my personal account and the commercial accounts do not have to be rebooted ever couple of weeks just to function correctly. The CE unit IS rebooted more frequently, I will agree with that, not with the rest of the statements.

No where have I stated that the HR2X series is perfect, no complex piece of consumer grade and affordable piece of electronics can be anything else, this goes for TV stereos, TIVOS, everything. It just appears that since the HR2X series does not venerate at the altar of TIVO that no matter what it will never be as perfect as that product. As a great example take the double play feature that was just added, there are complaint that the 90 minute buffer is to long and it should be configurable, just shows that no matter what the HR2X will never be accepted by a portion of the users and the issues will never end

20. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I spent several hours giving DirecTV engineers the reports they requested a while back. I did call tech support and had their tech come out and check everything around the same time frame. There were many others that participated in gathering data on that one issue. The problem was never fixed. I realized it and many other problems with the HR2x may never be fixed either because DirecTV doesn't want to spend the resources/money to do so or just plain can't for technical reasons. But once again this isn't about that problem. I made a couple suggestions to the OP and I guess they were a violation of the prayer book around here because they really seem to have some folks upset.

Frankly we don't depend on DirecTV anymore for children's programming because of the issues with recording and some of the parental control problems.. If you read my original post I tell the OP NOT to get upset to just have a backup.