DBSTalk Forum banner

Hauppauge HDPVR with Direct

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  RunnerFL 
#1 ·
I'll try to keep this as short as possible....

I've been using a Hauppauge HD-PVR with an H24 for some time without issues. it's now connected directloy to an HR24 and I'm getting the "use component cables" message - the Hauppauge box gets its output from the HR24 via component, but the only way I can get rid of the message is to unplug the HDMI cable from the HR24 itself, which I never had to do with the H24. is there any "workaround" for this? Something sticks in my mind that this has come up before, but I don't remember the details.

#2 ·
The only workaround, other than disconnecting the HDMI cable, is to have your TV on at the same time so the HDMI handshake takes place. I have my Hauppauge hooked up via component and then the Hauppauge feeds the TV. It's a secondary receiver so I don't need HDMI.

#3 ·
or you can connect both via a component video switch

#7 ·
RunnerFL said:
Why do that when the HDPVR has component passthru?
don't have one.

#10 ·
Yeah, it does.

lol, I meant I dont have the PVR.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#12 ·
The newer HD-PVR2 does have HDMI passthrough, but it can't record from HDMI if the HDCP signal is present, which probably lets out most anything from a DirecTV DVR. It has component and composite inputs only - not passthrough.

thanks for the clarification

#15 ·
You probably should have included that tidbit in your initial reply.

It was a suggestion

#16 ·
I have been using a Happauge HDPVR with an HR20 for years, I have only run into this problem with recording from HBO/Cinemax and then I unplug the HDMI cable from the receiver and it works fine. Is definitely annoying though. So are you guys saying the new model HDPVR can record from HDMI if the copyright signal isn't present, it seems like it's not on most of D*'s programming.

#18 ·
RunnerFL said:
The only workaround, other than disconnecting the HDMI cable, is to have your TV on at the same time so the HDMI handshake takes place. I have my Hauppauge hooked up via component and then the Hauppauge feeds the TV. It's a secondary receiver so I don't need HDMI.
The easiest solution is to get an HDMI output splitter from MonoPrice (even if you don't actually use more than 1 HDMI output). This will cause your DVR to think the HDMI is always active, even with the TV is off. I have this same sort of setup (one remote TV on HDMI, one local TV on component) and it works well. The component TV doesn't have any trouble, even on HBO.

#23 ·
Curious if the PVR2 can record 1080p or 3D through an unprotected HDMI... Guess I could try to look it up. I know they've sold a desktop card with HDMI input for some time. I was unaware of the PVR2.

As for protected content, last I checked HBO/Cinemax and STARZ/Encore use some form of HDCP (even on low-def Encore channels) which requires an active HDMI connection (or disconnection from an unpowered TV) to watch through the component output of the HR. From the OP it looks like the non HR does or didn't have this HDMI problem.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.