1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have 2 DVRs - Both record same show/same time - Why?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrstmath, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mrstmath

mrstmath New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    We are new customers, and have 2 DVRs and Whole Home DVR with one non-dvr HD receiver. On some of our series that we have set to record, they show two recordings simulatenously. I have cancelled series from either/both dvrs, but once I select one dvr to record a series it will simulatenously record on both DVRs. Help?

2. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    One possibility would be that if you have the remote in RF mode, you could be setting a recording on both DVRs at the same time (using the single remote) without even realizing it. Otherwise, start by rebooting both boxes.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: but the remotes are coded to the receiver six digit ID, so even using the same remote doesn't do this on my 3 receivers next to each other.

Rebooting is always a good first step.

4. Mar 1, 2011 #4 of 10
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He must have meant IR. I hope he meant IR....:lol:

Rich

5. Mar 1, 2011 #5 of 10
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Put your two HRs in RF mode. To do this, just hold down the "Info" button on the remote for a few seconds and you'll be taken to the System Info & Test page. Go to the Remote Control option on the left side of the page and you'll be led thru the process of putting your HR in RF mode. That will only allow your remote to control that one HR. Then do the same thing with the other HR.

Rich

6. Mar 1, 2011 #6 of 10
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    First, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Second, how close are your two DVRs? Right on top of each other? Same room?

7. Mar 1, 2011 #7 of 10
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I also have 3 HR2xs in the same room, and understand that they might be coded that way, but I had to code mine myself, which means that another user's remotes just might not be coded that way. It is not that difficult for a remote to be placed into a universal mode where it controls more than one DVR at the same time. I've done it by accident. It is also possible to code two DVRs to the same remote without realizing it. I think I've done that as well.

Of course I meant RF, which is why I said RF. IR is typically not a problem unless the DVRs are in the same room. Since the OP has WHDVR, I assume that they are not in the same room.

8. Mar 1, 2011 #8 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You must not be using the DirecTV remotes. I can't see how an "RC" remote switched to RF can be coded to operate more than one receiver without using the slider at the top. I have three receivers all next to each other and never "mis-key", but do forget to move the slider. :lol:

9. Mar 1, 2011 #9 of 10
    TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    being that your a new costomer and you have whole home DVR it could look like there both recording when there not. it just shoes on both receivers

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You mean on the UPL? Hadn't considered that. Thought he was seeing the Record lights on the front panels. That'd be funny.....:lol:

Rich