Have a Joyous Winter Solstice!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by jonstad, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    As the Sun begins its journey back to northern skies and the days start to get longer again, I just want to wish everyone a fruitful and happy new solar cycle.:D

And let's face it, that's what we're really celebrating here. Jesus has about a 365.25/1 chance of being born on December 25th. The Solstice is the time we've been celebrating since we first noticed the days did get shorter and longer and will continue to recognize and celebrate long after Christmas and Hanukah are relegated to footnotes of history.

BTW, whatever you choose to call it, I really do wish everyone a happy holiday season and a wonderful, profitable and peaceful new year.
    :sunsmile: :icon_peac

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Merry Christmas to you too Jon! :D

Jesus was almost certainly not born on December 25. The calendar has changed several time since then, and even more importantly, birthdays were not events that people of the time, particularly Jews, took much not of. The day of your death was much more important, as was Jesus' death and resurrection. We do know those days for certain, but nobody celebrated Jesus' birth for 350 or more years, except as part of the Holy Week festivities, when Jesus' entire life was celebrated. It was not until the church leaders felt the need to confront the Gnostic heresies, which stated that Jesus was never really human, but only appeared to be human, never leaving his divine state, that recognition of Jesus' beginning as a human baby was begun as a separate holiday. Since no one knew the date, and since the coming of Jesus into the world was intimately related to light (see John 1:1-18), December 25 was chosen because of the winter solstice. I don't know if you have noticed Jon, but symbolism is real big in many religions. :lol:

Anyway, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :angel: :engel02: :engel10:

3. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Isn't that what I just said?:scratch:

But I really don't want to argue.:nono: My point was to express my desire that everyone enjoy the upcoming season in their own way whether celebrated as Christmas, Hanukah, the Winter Solstice or any other myriad celebrations taking place at this time of year(almost all related to or rooted in the solstice). But according to my habit, I like to encourage everyone to realistically think about and examine what they are celebrating, and why.

So again, Happy/Merry ________(fill in the blank) to all! :new_smili

4. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    :::looks out the window and observes the sun set at 4:15pm:::

Heh, I'm longing for the summer already. :D

Until then, Happy Holidays to all at DBSTalk!

5. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    Happy Festivus --- For the rest of us!

6. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    I've learned over the years that most Christian “holidays” (Holy Days) are rooted in paganism and Easter (the goddess of futility) is another one and the morning mass watching the sun rise from the east is based upon Sun god worship. I was really disappointed to learn everything I was taught by the church or other Christians are a lie. Do a net search and you’ll be able to find out some stuff yourself or check this one out: http://paganwiccan.about.com/library/weekly/aa032503holidays.htm
    http://www.nazarite.net/articles/holidays.doc This is a good one and Sunday worship is dicussed.

7. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    At least the tooth fairy is real! :)

Roger,

Glad to see you are alive and kicking. Whatever your spiritual preference is these days, I wish you all the best this holiday season and a prosperous New Year.

And happy, happy whatever and all the best to you too, Jon.

And same to everyone else on DBSTalk!

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Merry Christmas, Jon.

9. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I received this warm, personal holiday greeting from my eldest son:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all, and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2004, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great, (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "America" in the western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

Disclaimer:
    [By accepting this greeting, you accept these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.]

...Author unknown...

Oh, what the heck, Dad. Merry Christmas.

My timely and theme-appropriate reply:

TO: Senior Male Offspring:

This will serve to acknowledge your timely festive greeting, and to convey a proportional measure of appreciation and heartfelt gratitude for your seasonally adjusted communication.

Your message has duly warmed the cockles of the designated recipient's personal blood circulation device, and has served to moderately lubricate designee's ocular mechanisms.

In customary response, recipient hereby reciprocates in like manner with an equivalent communique' of top-level importance and priority. Said outgoing message has been duly scanned for covert disruptive devices and is deemed biologically inert in accordance with applicable security standards.

In summary, respondent is invoking the traditional mandate for offspring to experience a season of merriment, with happiness recommended for yet another iteration of the annual tracking period.

Decrypted translation:

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    And also Happy Boxing Day to our friends up north, and Happy Saints Day to all those who share my first name, December 26th is Saint Stephens Day, although my name is spelled with a V, it's a minor technicality :D

11. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Same to you, Rich! I missed you, Jonstad and Bogy!

12. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Nick... It sounds genetic. By the way, Merry Christmas. :D

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Merry Christmas Roger. :D

14. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Merry Christmas (winter solstice, Hanukkah, Kwanza, etc...) to all, and to all a good night!

Much wishes for a joyous (and reasonably low stress) holiday season to all DBSTalk members!

15. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Merry Christmas to you too Rking401.

16. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I was really disappointed to learn everything I was taught by the church or other Christians are a lie.

Have you ever played the gossip game... you know, the one where one person whipsers in another's ear, and so on down the line, with the end results that the final message is rarely what was originally started? At its very worst, religion is not much different. Much of what is done today is held as absolute because the people who teach it do not know the reasons why the rituals were put in place to begin with.

I would say that not "everything" you was told was a lie. While early Christians might have co-opted pagan rituals, the purpose was not to spread a lie, but to spread a truth. You don't preach to the poor kid in the 'hood how to be a better person by speaking only Aramaic to him and magically expecting him to change his ways. You have to meet them halfway, and converse in a language he understands.

For ancient peoples, the priests used the symbols they understood, but gave them new meanings. It is no different from Jesus using parables to teach. Were these lies as well, or did they just represent ideas that Jesus wanted to pass along?

So yes a decorated tree might have had its roots in pagan rituals... but the meanings preached by the church are perfectly valid methods of teaching about hope and life despite their origins.

17. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Danny R:

"I would say that not "everything" you was told was a lie."

I say it was and it goes way beyond the false religious holidays. False doctrine and un-Biblical teachings are rampant as well.

18. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    "So yes a decorated tree might have had its roots in pagan rituals... but the meanings preached by the church are perfectly valid methods of teaching about hope and life despite their origins."

In your opinion but it is acceptable to God?
    Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
    Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
    Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

More.....

19. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    If everything you were told was a lie, then why are you using passages from a book you were taught about as the basis of your argument?

In any case, I think you are reading far too much into the Jeremiah Christmas Tree

20. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Well they teach from newer or New Age books IMO like the NIV. I was talking about the church and other Christians while never doubting God's Word which I think is the KJV in the English language. The KJV being not watered down IMO.

"In any case, I think you are reading far too much into the Jeremiah Christmas Tree"

Nonetheless, you stated this: "So yes a decorated tree might have had its roots in pagan rituals... but the meanings preached by the church are perfectly valid methods of teaching about hope and life despite their origins" without any disclaimer like from a non-Christian perspective or in you opinion or what have you.

The only part that matters to me is “Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.