1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have old Hd DVR HR 21. Was offered upgrade, should I take it??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by miesque1127, Jul 22, 2012.

1. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    I have shows on my DVR that I want to keep. Is there any way to transfer them?

Its not a deal breaker. Would you suggest making a switch to the newer DVRs??

2. caseyf5

caseyf5 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    Hello miesque1127,

:welcome_s

There is no guarantee as to the upgraded HD DVR as you get what is available through DirecTV. If you want to guarantee an item it can be ordered on line from merchants that have DTV Receivers or locally in stores. ClaudeR from Dishstore can help you (he is a member on this website). You need 5 posts before you are allowed a PM (Private Message). The HMC aka HR34 is unique as there are no other HR3(X) units. This would require a SWM setup (Single Wire Multiswitch) as the HR34 does not work on legacy systems.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you are experiencing no problems with your HR21, I see no reason to change it. As noted, the "upgrade" could be anything in the inventory including another HR21 (unless the upgrade is to the HMC - home media center - which is an HR34).

4. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    Thanks.

I called yesterday about ST and discounts, was offered whole room and given an option to change the current receivers. So, I am assuming that the new DVRs will be something other than my current hr 21. It's slow and sometimes the remote acts quirky. It can be a bit frustrating.

If I was offered a HR34 to replace it, would you do it??

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007

If they have a truck roll there's a higher (more than 50 but less than 100 percent) chance you will get an HR24.

I don't know if you'll get a "free" HR34 but if it were 200 it would be a good deal for you.

6. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    She was offering the DVR at no cost. Installation and all parts are free of charge. She was really giving me a great deal.

I received discounts on ST and other credits. I am a long standing customer that has never given them problems, always pay on time, etc...

She mentioned that the DVR I would be receiving would allow me to record 5 shows at once. Would this be the HR34 or do the others also do this?? Thanks for the info.

7. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    IF she were correct then it would be the HR34, emphasis on IF.

8. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So you currently have one or more DVRs and one or more non-DVR receivers? Replacing one of the non-DVR receivers with a DVR gives you some capability you don't have now (more simultaneous recording, trick play on live tv at that location, etc.). So that would probably be a good thing to do (for free).

If you want whole home and have at least one HD receiver in addition to your DVR, then you could do that without replacing the receiver with a DVR, or you could do it and replace the receiver with a DVR.

So to really give you a good answer, I guess we need to know a little more about your complete setup. How many HD DVRs, how many HD receivers, how many SD DVRs, and how many SD receivers do you have? SD equipment does not play with whole-home.

9. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    I have two HR21 HD DVRs, and one SD TiVo. They are sending out an HD DVR upon installation to replace the SD receiver. She didn't mention which model it was.

I do know that she specifically stated that the new DVR she was offering had the ability to record 5 shows at once. If the HR 34 is the only receiver to do this, then that's what she offered. I will probably call back and replace both existing HR 21 with the new HR 34, hopefully it was entered in the notes.

10. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you can go online and check your order status, see if it is for a Home Media Center (HMC), which is the HR34, which is what can record 5 shows at once. If it not, then you will get an HR2x series DVR to replace the Tivo, along with the necessary upgrades to get whole-home.

While it is possible that you are set for an HR34, it is not likely. That is not what is provided for the "free HD DVR upgrade", and for existing customers typically costs $299 to $399.

11. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    Doesn't say HMC, just whole home upgrade. The receiver to replace the SD Receiver is a regular HD DVR.

When she asked if I wanted to replace my existing DVRS, she specifically mentioned that the new DVRS would be able to record 5 shows at once. I said I would think about it, she said if I changed my mind to call back.

Now, I don't know which DVRs can record 5 programs. If the HR34 is the only DVR with that capability, she must have meant that one. I'll call tomorrow and see what happens and check back here with my results. It's worth a shot.

12. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Some CSR's don't know much about the products, and so, like I implied in my original comment, it is possible, even likely the CSR was wrong about what was being offered.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd call back and tell them that you were told you'd be getting the 34 (5 recordings), but it isn't showing up on your account. If they say 'no', time to reevaluate.
    No. Shows only will play on the DVR that recorded them.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The HR34 HMC is absolutely the only one that can record 5 things at once.

15. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    We were on the phone for a good 45-50 minutes. Very friendly conversation, I got several nice credits from her. Like I said before, she specifically mentioned recording 5 shows at a time. Now, it's possible she didn't know which DVRs offered that, but who knows she may have been offering the HR 34.

I've beaten this to death, thanks to all of you for answering my questions. I appreciate it.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

17. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    I would check if a 2 yr contract is part of the upgrade first and foremost. If it is, you may wrangle a few more goodies from the CSR.

18. miesque1127

miesque1127 Mentor

Jul 21, 2012
    I'm on the phone now. Of course, the original offer for the 2 DVRs wasn't noted, so she's trying to see what she can do.

She tells me only 1 HR34 is needed, and her supervisor can give it to me for $99. I can deal with just the 1, but I don't want to pay for it. She's working on seeing what she can do.

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Don't expect to get 3 HR34s, DirecTV will not allow more than one on an account at this time.

20. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Even $99 would be a good deal if it included installation.
    I would keep the existing dvrs even if they are a bit "quirky". They would provide extra tuners and more importantly, extra storage space.
    Depending on your use, it is possible that the 1Tb HDD in the HR34 could be a bit slim. If you get ST and record a lot of the games, you may find the "space available" start to shrink. I wouldn't even want to thing about how much space I'll be using for the upcoming Olympics. (Luckily I have about 6Tb available.)