1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having second thoughts about returning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sangs, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 #1 of 16
    sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    You guys are scaring the shit out of me in these forums.

AT&DirecTV offered me a great deal to return and I took it. Installation is set for next week. However, reading all the complaints about programs not being recorded, pixelation, the new guide, the HS17 (Genie 2) problems, shitty customer service, etc., is making me seriously reconsider.

Are things really that bad, or is this just another of those situations where a handful of people are hammering an internet forum with their problems, but the great majority of people remain happy? I don't really want to lock into 24 months of subpar service if that's become the norm now.

2. Dec 4, 2018 #2 of 16
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    "...a handful of people are hammering an internet forum with their problems, but the great majority of people remain happy?"

This....my opinion.....22 year customer

compnurd and sangs like this.
  3. Dec 4, 2018 #3 of 16
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I'm one of those not having problems with my HR-44 and HR-24, other than an occasional glitch that is easily overcome. (I've only had recorded programs not show in my program list one time, for instance, and it was easily fixed with a tip found here on DBSTalk.) And I don't have the chronic pixilation problems some folks complain about, except for one local station - but I'm not convinced the problem is not at the station. But then I also use a Roku quite a lot, and occasionally do a little preventive maintenance by starting a CLEARMYBOX search on DTV before switching TV inputs to watch Roku for a while.

Am I just lucky or am I a member of a silent majority that's not having problems? -- I don't really know.

sangs likes this.
  4. Dec 4, 2018 #4 of 16
    BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    My 2 cents... If you got an att/dtv deal similar to what I got, it doesn’t really matter. The deal I got far outweighs any problems I have with dtv. I have had tons of problems with recorded programs disappearing and have to restart my hr 54 about once a month due to it freezing. Don’t really have any pixelation problems- If you read any of my previous posts, I will say it again, the Hopper 3 will run circles around any Genie...HOWEVER, I still prefer DTV’s programming over anything else, and at the price point they have me at, I am pretty content.

sangs likes this.
  5. Dec 5, 2018 #5 of 16
    DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    It really just seems to depend on your area. I had DIRECTV a few months ago with the HR54 and 3 of the 4K clients and the pixelation was really out of control on what seemed every channel I was on. The screen would pixelate for a quick second and go away, but it would repeat itself quite a bit. Sometimes it would do it multiple times within 5-10 minutes and other times it wouldn't do it for 30 mins to an hour. I don't know, it was really weird and frustrating. I also had a lot of audio dropouts. Everything was brand new and I had techs out here for it and it didn't help whatsoever. I've had DIRECTV in the past and never had these problems until the past year or so. It was most definitely a DIRECTV issue and the problems others have talked about on here were the exact same problems I was having. I really think it is happening to a lot of people, but there are also a lot of people it is not happening to, which to me, seems to depend on location. I've personally seen a lot more complaints since AT&T took over. The updates they've been releasing haven't been very good. My advice to you is if you want to go back to DIRECTV, do it. They've got really good picture quality when it is working properly and if you have problems, stay after them, keep calling. If you keep calling in for repeat issues and you are having techs come out repeatedly and the issue isn't getting resolved, they will waive your contract. My contract was waived for the technical issues.

sangs likes this.
  6. Dec 5, 2018 #6 of 16
    sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    My father, brother and several relatives all have it and have not reported any issues to me, outside of snow cover or thunderstorm interruption. All live in upstate New York.

7. Dec 5, 2018 #7 of 16
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    The programs not showing up issue is real issue and is widespread. It is a total PITA, especially with “non-tech” family members. It’s been going on for six months and is still not fixed, which is beyond unreasonable.

Other than that, I personally have not had much in the way of other issues (other than the NFL network losing signal the other night).

8. Dec 5, 2018 #8 of 16
    Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    I've complained about pixelation. I have my recorded programs disappear too and I hit the reset button twice a month. If there's better fix let me know. I've made that clear here on this forum. Having said that, every "family" has a problem and I would list Comcast's and any one else's if I had the time. Like BreadDawg said above:

"I still prefer DTV’s programming over anything else, and at the price point they have me at, I am pretty content."

Still think of all services, Directv is the best and I've been a customer for 23 years and can say that based on having friends with Dish and cable. You're not making a mistake.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. Dec 5, 2018 #9 of 16
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I received the newest version a couple weeks ago and I thought the problem with the missing programs had been fixed. Lost the Giants game Sunday and had a terrible time finding it. If I hadn't put an SSD on my 44 I would put it in a room where we rarely watch TV and use it as a server. I'm tired of the Black Shroud and the software. But I have the SSD and I want to use the 44 as much as possible to see how the SSD handles being on a Genie over the long term.

Rich

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think I've stopped the pixellation problems on a couple of my HRs.

Rich

11. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    You shouldn't really depend on the negative reports on this site to deter you from coming back (IMHO)
    The people that post here can be somewhat picky and people with no problems with their equipment don't usually post. It can give you a false sense of how bad things are. There are problems and with some can be quite severe, but most people don't have problems and others have very rare or intermittent problems. I've had some pixilation problems, some of which are caused by external factors and others seem random. Annoying, but only mildly so (to me). I can't judge your annoyance level, just saying keep it in perspective. My two cents and no offence

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I don’t think anyone is being “picky” by complaining they cannot see shows in the playlist they recorded. A problem that has lasted for six months, requiring either a reboot, or navigating deep into recording history. That problem is widespread and widely reported on every Directv message board.

13. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    If you looked at boards for competitors you'd find similar discussions. Many people don't come to sites such as this if everything is working great. I've had a bunch of different services over the years - DTV is the best overall to me. Doesn't mean there aren't things that could be fixed (including cost) but to me it has been the best

14. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Would you mind sharing the parameters of your great deal and/or post the info in the following thread?

Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here!

I am suspending service for a month and will likely cancel at the end of the suspension. I'm curious what type of offer AT&T might make after I actually cancel. Recently, just the threat of cancelling hasn't really been effective.

sangs likes this.
  15. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Genie 2, four TVs, Premier Package, Sunday Ticket this year - and next - MLB Extra Innings for 2019, $300 Visa card for $140.48 per month, which included taxes and fees. But I bailed after Verizon FiOS offered me a nice deal to re-up with it.

16. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Take the offer! It's a good deal. It creeps up to about $170 after two years. Call them back when your two year agreement is up. Tell them you want to drop to a lower package. They will find some discounts to keep you in that package. I have the premier package. I called and got some discounts too. Make sure you buy a nice 4K TV. You will like the picture quality and sports line up.