1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble with HR21-200 intermittent 771 looking for signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TerryB, Oct 15, 2013.

1. TerryB

TerryB AllStar

Feb 26, 2008
    Can't trust my one year old replacement HR-21-200 to view or record channels all over the "dial" at various times. Today tried to watch hour old NCIS recording and got instant keep or delete request. Tuned through about 10 channels before I got a watchable one and then worked backwards without further issue. I guess it will be best to call CSRs when I have a no signal avail. channel showing. I thought it was associated with LIL, but doesn't seem to be after looking at this instance.

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Are you having the same issue on all of your receivers, or just this one? If all of them it sounds like a LNB going bad. If it's just this one it could be a cable run issue, or a tuner/hard drive issue I think. Moving the DVR to another location and trying it there would be a good step in trying to figure out if it is the DVR having the issue, or a cabling issue.

3. TerryB

TerryB AllStar

Feb 26, 2008
    There is only the one DVR with two leads. LNB was replaced in a service call a couple weeks ago when ALL HD channels dropped out intermittently. The old LNB showed case deterioration and water damage. The intall is only 5 years old and there is no sign of animals munching on the cables.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would have expected that they would replace the LNB with a SWiM type.

Given what you've told us, it would appear that you've either got a difficult-to-spot cabling/connection issue or the DVR is on its way out. True signal issues don't usually come and go that quickly.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My guess is it's a cable issue. One or both of the cables from the dish to the receiver is likely getting worn. I've seen it before where a cable that looks great from the outside and even meters out fairly well will generate errors if it's been stretched for too long. The cable ends can also get corroded and while that should be easy to spot... I suppose that's assuming the tech actually looked. If the LNB was water damaged, you should have gotten new cables between the dish and the ground block as well. Of course that presumes that there's actually a ground block...

6. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Missing grounding can cause this problem as well, static build up can cause a temporary lose of signal till it drops out of the cable.
    I imagine that Stuart is correct that it's internal cable damage some place along the path of it. As you stated that you recently had a tech out to the house call i next time it's happening and see if you can get escalated to case management to which should get you a more experienced tech on the phone and to the house.
    (you will need to complete troubleshooting with the front line tech to get to case management.)

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My system has never been properly grounded and I've had no problems that relate to grounding. Doesn't mean the TS doesn't have a grounding problem, just that I doubt it. As for Case Management, I've used them so many times all I have to do is call Retention and with no tests I'm in the CMG loop. Gotta wait for the phone call from them. That's the only problem with them.

Rich

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Look, I went about 5 years thinking my dish was grounded when it wasn't. That was in the days before I got certified to do all this stuff. Now that I am, my system is probably a bit psycho in its "correctness."

A quad ground block and a few more bits of RG6 are cheap; copper ground wire is probably the most expensive part of the whole thing.

9. TerryB

TerryB AllStar

Feb 26, 2008
    Next time I see the 771 and there isn't a reason I can see on the ground AND some channels are still running, I'll call in. Thanks folks.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've actually got the ground block in place. An installer knew how to do that. After that, he was lost. I know how to do it, I just want D* to do it. I've had the township's electrical inspector check it out and he doesn't see the need for it. I've had a supervisor sent to my home from the CMG to see what I was talking about and he didn't see the need for grounding it. He didn't even know there was a place on the SWMs for a ground wire. I've found the whole grounding thing quite humorous.

I'm working towards having my MRV system paralleled (it's now cascaded) and if I do this, I'll get the proper Tech (note the caps) to come to my house to work with me and I'll show him how to ground the system while I'm at it. I can see this ending up being an all day affair and, as I'm sure you know, I'm almost terminally lazy, so I keep putting it off. All the wires are run, all I need are the pass-thru splitters and the gizmo that allows for ringing out the wires to find out which is which and the job will be done. I'm reasonably sure it will turn out to be more complicated than I think it should be.

Rich