Having Two Genie's?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by reubenray, Jul 14, 2015.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Will there ever be an option for having two genie receivers?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm not even sure The Shadow knows the answer to that one...

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    "ever" seems like a very long term. I would think that one day more than one Genie would be allowed, but my feeling is that day is not "soon"

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Not until they rewrite the software.

5. Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    Allowing only one genie is one of the very few means they have to combat stacking. It's not much but their push for clients over DVRs will likely continue and when the hr24 hits eol they might be the only option.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Famous quotes:
    "There will never be Dual Live Buffers."
    "Autocorrect on FF can only exist on Tivo DVRs."
    "DIRECTV won't have Tivo based DVRs again."

I suggest you might consider "Never more than one genie" as a famous quote. Note--I do not have any news, I do not know if DIRECTV ever will. But future guessing DIRECTV, the FCC requirements for an IP based home network solution, etc. make me consider... :)

It would take some updates to various software to work. Some of the posts give hints as to parts needing updates...

Peace,
    Tom

2 people like this.
  7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They do not need to rewrite the software.

2 people like this.
  8. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It has nothing to do with stacking.

1 person likes this.
  9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And of course the other thing is, how much demand is there for this? Many of us aren't "average" customers.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You rang?

Considering the software is rewritten several times a week, that does not seem to be a helpful answer.

Here's one that's more helpful -

Multiple Genie support is not "off the radar" given the release of the new H44 Genie Lite, but there's still a challenge in justifying the time required for the project vs. the real demand. As many have said, over 95% of people are just fine with a 4-room setup and of those 5% that aren't, over 90% are satisfied with just adding one or two more HR24s.

11. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Logistically, however, for those few who, like me, would like 15 tuners due to multiple programming conflicts, 3 Genies would be far less complicated than 1 Genie and 5 HR2x DVRs.

2 people like this.
  12. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I think you have far too much time on your hands.

Damon

1 person likes this.
  14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Software for what?

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would think that the software would need to be written such that a mini or receiver that is on Whole Home had the choice of which Genie it was going to communicate with it. It seems to me that it would not be that hard to do.
    You would need a choice of Genies when you pressed the Guide or the List button to choose which one to communicate with and from there your choices and programming would be the same as usual.

I believe it will happen that there are multiple Genies in one network.

16. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    If I could get two Genie's I would not care if they connected to each other. I just need the capabilities of more tuners without getting additional DVR's and giving D* more of my $$.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Not today, as 1 Genie + 5 HR2x can run off a SWM16, while 3 Genies cannot. I think Stuart is on the money with his idea that since one Genie is enough for most, and those few can get as many HR2x as they'd like, there's little to justify the effort today.

Maybe they will someday allow multiple Genies someday, but if they were going to do so, why wait? Once the HR2x is too old and they no longer offer them they'll have to have something in place for customers for whom one Genie isn't enough. Maybe they're planning bigger changes by then, like a Genie with many more tuners and multi-user features (so different people can have different playlists) or replacing it with something entirely new that everyone wants so no one cares about getting two Genies any longer.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What do you have now? If you had two Genies and nothing else for 10 tuners, versus one Genie and two HR2x for 9 tuners, that's only $6.50 difference a month - and even then only if you have fewer than three TVs.

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I think you are over complicating how it'd work. Actually pretty sure. ;)

It's not something you need to be able to change all the time at all. In fact you really would never need to.

1 person likes this.
  20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    No one ever believes me but I personally think the biggest reason they don't want to do it today is install requirements. If we ever see a 22swim then that will be gone. Even if we only see a a 13 channel swim that would allow two genies.

They don't need to be in a rush because they still have the two tuner DVRs but someday they will all hit EOL and then they will have to support something for more rooms. But I believe they will through natural progress have the higher capacity swims by then and it'll all work out just fine.

Personally I don't think it's happening but I always thought we'd see something more like an 20 channel swim system (both an lnb and a switch version) that uses moca 2 with more nodes and bandwidth and BSS support. Roll all that into one and you solve just about every limitation the bigger systems can have.