1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO 4K on demand

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bill Fuerst, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Bill Fuerst

Bill Fuerst New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I was watching Westworld season one on demand last night and noticed on the information bar that it was playing in 4K. The excitement was short lived however when I clicked the info button on my tv remote to see it was only playing in 1080i. Still it got me thinking, why would DirecTV show it as 4K in the program information for on demand, but not as 4K in the regular guide data if it was just a mistake? Does anyone know if DirecTV and HBO are going to offer on demand in 4K in the future? With At&t buying Time Warner, having HBO on demand in 4K exclusively would definitely make me get DirecTV, if I didn't already have it that is.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Noticed this myself after I recently d/l'ed an HD version of "Get Out."

Don't know what's up with it ...

Unless it's some kind of labeling error ...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

3. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    This made me laugh, thanks!

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    teasing customers, silly attempt gather more accounts ...

5. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    Teasing? You could argue that they are mocking them.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well,agree ... mocking would be more appropriate word

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Or it's another blatant lie.

Rich

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    You have to wonder how much longer HBO and Showtime can go without offer 4K content to their subscribers. They claim the mantle of "premium" services but Netflix and Prime Video have lots of similar type content and have been offering it in 4K for, what, nearly two years now. Even Hulu began offering some stuff in 4K over a year ago. Technology advances so much more quickly in the streaming world than in the world of traditional TV. HBO now operates in both arenas and they really need to embrace both 4K and HDR to compete against Netflix and other streamers. HBO has some great content but I'm not going to pay more money per month ($15 for HBO vs. $14 for Netflix) on a regular basis for a smaller pool of content with inferior picture quality.

Bigg and wilbur_the_goose like this.
  9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    They may need to wait for systems to have 4K bandwidth and hardware Where is RDBS?? cable systems like comcast are compressing the shit out the 2-4 hbo HD feeds that they do have.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you have RB DLNB you can see what tpns are ON now ;), then check Tom and Gary PID/channels chart what is there.

11. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I'm skeptical that we're ever going to see many cable systems running 4K content/linear channels over QAM, because the QAM TV segment of the cable network is really where the bottleneck is (which is why Comcast compresses the sh!t out of their linear channels). Meanwhile, there's plenty of bandwidth on the IP (DOCSIS) segment of the network. Comcast's chief tech guy has gone on the record saying that they'll never offer 4K HDR over QAM, it will be via IPTV (a format that their X1 platform already uses for VOD and cloud DVR).

Meanwhile, Comcast has integrated the Netflix app right into X1 -- you can even do a universal voice search across all content sources and jump right into Netflix titles. And today Comcast announced that they're going to start offering integrated Netflix billing in with the regular cable TV bill, and bundling Netflix in with various TV packages. We think of Netflix as a standalone direct-to-consumer OTT service -- it did start out that way and still is that way to a large degree -- but on Comcast, the nation's largest cable co., Netflix is just becoming another premium a la carte service like HBO or Showtime.

And Comcast has offered 4K streaming from Netflix on X1 for awhile now. There's no reason why Comcast (or any other cable or satellite provider, really) wouldn't also offer 4K on-demand streaming from HBO or Showtime too if they made it available. And, of course, there's no reason why their own apps (e.g. HBO Go, Showtime Anytime) couldn't be updated to support 4K HDR. The ball is in their court, as I see it.

12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Reminds me of one time a couple years back. Downloaded a "1080p"-labeled PPV. Both the guide and the playlist had the label on it. Started playing and it turned out to be a 720p.

At least there was a five minute preview period to discover before paying.

13. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Do you have the HR44? or HR54? Because I don't think the HR44 can output 4K. Maybe that's why your TV is showing 1080i?

14. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Neither the 44 nor the 54 can output 4k, however the 54 is necessary to work in conjunction with a C61k or RVU to deliver 4k.

Rob likes this.
  15. Bill Fuerst

Bill Fuerst New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I'm watching on a Vizio M65-E0 connected to a C61K so I can definitely receive 4K.

I randomly looked at several programs on demand for HBO and so far Westworld was the only program with the 4K tag so I'm guessing that it's just a guide data error. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but Westworld is available in 4K on Ultra Blu-Ray and as far as I know that is the only HBO program that has ever been released in 4K.

As far as HBO and other premium channels streaming in 4K, I'm sure that will happen sometime in the near future but I'll bet it will only be for their original programing like Netflix and Amazon does now, and they will not stream movies in 4K from the studios.

16. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    You do realize they have HBO GO and HBO NOW right? No one would be left out, as if you subscribe to HBO through D* or any other MVPD or MSO you could simply log into it on Roku or another streaming platform.

It depends on the system. There is a cable company in PA delivering 4k over QAM. Comcast screwed themselves by not doing SDV, and broadcasting everything to everyone all the time, which is a total waste of bandwidth. If they had done SDV and small nodes/fiber-deep like Cox did, along with universal rebuilds to 860mhz or even 1002mhz, they wouldn't have a bandwidth problem, wouldn't have had to absurdly over-compress their HD channels, and wouldn't have any hurry to go to IPTV.

17. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I think I know the cable company in PA you're talking about. They've deployed SES's turnkey 4K channel package, which is structured in a way to be both IPTV- and QAM-friendly.

So, yes, some cable companies do have enough bandwidth in their QAM TV system to offer at least a few 4K channels. But here's why I don't think you'll ever see enough cable companies doing so to matter: Comcast (about 42% of all cable TV subs nationwide) has said they won't ever do 4K over QAM, only via IPTV. (And, yes, a lot of that has to do with Comcast deciding years back to pass on SDV since they saw IPTV being not too far down the pike.) Meanwhile, Altice (the #4 cable co with about 7% of subs nationwide) is converting their whole system over to FTTH with IPTV. They're not likely to fool with 4K linear channels on what's becoming a legacy QAM system. So those two MVPDs account for roughly half of all cable TV subscribers nationwide and just over a quarter of all MVPD subscribers (cable+satellite+telco) nationwide. (BTW, I have no idea what Charter, the #2 provider with almost a third of cable subs, plans to do about 4K. Nothing, it seems.)

So we're playing the ol' chicken-and-egg waiting game. Networks are waiting for MVPDs to have sufficient network bandwidth and equipment (including customer TVs and STBs) in place to justify offering their linear channels in 4K. But MVPDs aren't in a huge rush to spend the money to be ready for 4K channels because the only ones available are crap like the NASA Channel 4K and Fashion TV 4K from SES.

18. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Yes, it's the one somebody was talking about over on TCF.

I agree on Comcast and Altice. Charter is unlikely to have 4k anytime soon, as their DVRs are from 10 years ago, most areas can't do more than 100mbps, their technology is way behind except that they have SDV.

DirecTV is ready to go with R-DBS, but the broadcasters have a much bigger problem in that cord cutting is killing their bottom line, and most of the tech-savvy people who would want 4k either cut the cord or went to a CoIP service like PS Vue, DirecTV NOW, or YTTV, none of which are ready yet for 4k. Never say never, but they're at least a couple years off from that. YTTV is currently going to 1080p60, and they all are scaling up to handle more customers. 4k will be a few years at least.

19. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    AT&T has publicly stated, more than once, I think, that the 2018 roadmap for their new cloud-based OTT platform (which is currently still in beta and will first support DTV Now) includes 4K HDR, user profiles, download-and-go, a bigger VOD platform, and pay-per-view. Those things are supposed to come in the months after cloud DVR debuts. Of course, cloud DVR was initially supposed to debut by the end of 2017 and that's been pushed back to the end of 2Q 2018. So perhaps we won't see 4K HDR from AT&T's OTT platform until the first half of 2019. We'll see. But it shouldn't be a couple years away. As for the other vMVPDs like YTTV and PS Vue, I have no idea what their 4K plans are.

AT&T Unveils Next-Gen Video Platform | Light Reading

20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Most cable systems are planning to use IP for 4K, which will appear as just another channel to subscribers. The only way you might notice it isn't a QAM channel is if you have a Tivo, since IP delivery won't use cable card for authorization the Tivo likely won't be able to see the 4K channel. Same issue as with other IP services where Tivos can't access the cable company's on demand etc. That is, except for those cablecos that will rent you a Tivo themselves, those will work with IP services but the 'bring your own' Tivos still don't - at least that's how it is for me on Mediacom.

Of course, there aren't any 4K channels available in the US anyone has ever heard of, except for NASA. It will take something like ESPN, FS1 or HBO going 4K for people to sit up and take notice. With ESPN's struggles due to declining revenue thanks to cord cutting and that ridiculous NBA contact killing their finances, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd put everything to do with 4K on hold for the forseeable future. So I'd look for FS1 or HBO.