HBO and Cinemax Removed

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Nov 1, 2018 #1 of 65
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "HBO has removed their channels" ...

DISH Promise | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support (not updated as of this posting)

DISH Customers will not be charged for HBO/Cinemax during the time without the channels.
    See the video on the HBO channels (except 300 and 310 which are airing HD Net Movies).

2. Nov 1, 2018 #2 of 65
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Why in the World would Dish have a dispute with HBO? This is a premium channel. Dish would just up the price if needed and let the customers decide if they want it. This is going to tick off a lot of customers. The satellite & cable services are already losing customers left and right. This is totally nuts.

3. Nov 1, 2018 #3 of 65
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Hollywood Reporter: HBO Goes Dark on Dish Network Amid Carriage Dispute

I wonder how much of this is related to the churn numbers stating that "it's too expensive", or having folks drop services and premiums after the last rate hike. Even though I'm with DirecTV, I'm one of those who is ready to dump DirecTV for multiple reason including the fact that only my mom watches the service. My schedule prohibits it. I'm ready to replace DirecTV with.... nothing.

salyavin and ibjimbo like this.
  4. Nov 1, 2018 #4 of 65
    GoLongAndChopChop881

GoLongAndChopChop881 Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    As for a blackout crisis, HBO is no longer available on DISH.

HBO Goes Dark For First Time In Its History Due to Standoff with Dish

5. Nov 1, 2018 #5 of 65
    Legman

Legman New Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Berlin,...
    Waiting for AT&T to start advertising that HBO is available on DIRECTV since they own them too.

6. Nov 1, 2018 #6 of 65
    GoLongAndChopChop881

GoLongAndChopChop881 Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    In a statement to THR, Dish hit back, blaming the blackout on AT&T, HBO's new parent company, claiming that the media giant was using its power to exert "influence over competing pay-TV providers and consumers."

Remember when DISH teamed up with AT&T in 2006, they're serving AT&T Homezone receivers. But with AT&T|DirecTV in the mid-2010s, it's getting a lot more miserable.

On channel 309, HBO Latino was replaced by a simulcast of DPLCL (Ch 270/827) during the blackout of Univision.

7. Nov 1, 2018 #7 of 65
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    winter is not coming till 2019 so they can wait

8. Nov 1, 2018 #8 of 65
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Reading in a few places, it seems the main sticking point is that ATT wants to be paid for a some number of subscriptions regardless whether or not there are actually that many that subscribe. This action on ATT's part might make for nice fodder in the appeal of the merger going on now.

salyavin likes this.
  9. Nov 1, 2018 #9 of 65
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And what if the "price needed" was $25 per service ($50 for both) and DIRECTV's contract still allowed them to charge $10-$15 each? If the price was a pass through with identical markup regardless of carrier HBO raising their price would raise their price on all services. DISH still needs a fair deal to rebroadcast the channels.

salyavin, ibjimbo and tampa8 like this.
  10. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    For me, since I don't subscribe to HBO, is no sad loss. :)

11. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    That's the problem we look at our own situation only. What if HBO is just the first of many services that a content owner who also has a Cable, online or Satellite service does this with? In fact early on that was a concern that once online took off programming could be in effect denied by negotiating tactics to other services to make you use their online service. That was not realistically possible overall before online services program content was dependent to be seen on Cable, Satellite etc. It is getting towards that may not be the case.

salyavin and dishrich like this.
  12. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Sigh. It's always about money. HBO wants more and says that Dish is the bad guy. Dish doesn't want to pay more and says that HBO is the bad guy. Been there, done that. WRT ATT ownership of HBO, and - oh by the way - Dish's main competitor -- that's a non starter. It's about the money. When they come to an agreement about the money, HBO will be back. BTW current subscription cost on Dish was $3 a month less than on D*. Get it? -- M-O-N-E-Y.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    There is an alternative as HBO does stream, via Amazon Prime or HBO Now for $14.99 a month on several devices like the Roku, Fire stick, etc. Through Amazon Prime Showtime is just $8.99 a month. Is HBO really worth that much more? Cinemax is $9.99. Many of the movies HBO runs are available elsewhere for less too.

14. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Could it be that AT&T did this to try to hurt a competitor to its Direct TV. Oh no, they wouldn't do that. And pigs can fly.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    First HBO Blackout Ever; Harms Competition and Consumers; AT&T Unfairly Targets Rural Americans on DISH | Dish

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH and Sling TV announced today that AT&T has made the unprecedented move to pull HBO and Cinemax content from DISH and Sling TV subscribers, after making untenable demands designed specifically to harm customers, particularly those in rural areas, as well as damage competing pay-tv providers.

Despite an opposing antitrust lawsuit filed by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), AT&T acquired Time Warner, including HBO and Cinemax, earlier this year. There were no guidelines set in place to ensure that AT&T "played fair" for HBO and Cinemax subscribers, regardless of their pay-TV provider.

"Plain and simple, the merger created for AT&T immense power over consumers," said Andy LeCuyer, DISH senior vice president of Programming. "It seems AT&T is implementing a new strategy to shut off its recently acquired content from other distributors. This may be the first of many HBO blackouts for consumers across the country. AT&T no longer has incentive to come to an agreement on behalf of consumer choice; instead, it's been given the power to grab more money or steal away customers."

. . .

AT&T is demanding DISH pay for a guaranteed number of subscribers, regardless of how many consumers actually want to subscribe to HBO.

. . .

DISH and eligible Sling TV customers will be credited on their bill for time they do not receive HBO or Cinemax. DISH is also offering customers a free preview of HDNET Movies which showcases the best in box office hits and award-winning films, uncut and commercial free.

16. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I dont have dish, but this burns me up.....all we do is keep letting these monster companies gobble up every one in there way, at the same time being told how it will save us consumers money!
    BS, same thing different day and company.....
    So dish subscribers will now pay more for HBO!

17. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I wonder if this is a ploy to force a merger between DirecTV (which AT&T owns) and Dish Network---to be conducted on AT&T's terms.

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    This was evidenced on October 26th where it was announced that the niche film streaming service FilmStruck was suddenly shutting down on November 29th catching even partner Criterion off-guard. Add in the October 16th announcement that Korean streaming service DramaFever was shutting down immediately. Plus, the fact that physical media (DVD, CD, BluRay) is being phased out in favor of streaming media.... which can be yanked at any time.

You can sense my frustration about all this carrier disputes by my signature: "In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..." Add in the fact that the amount of compelling content to watch, from my viewpoint, has gone down to practically zero on the pay television services. If it weren't for my mother, I would have cancelled DirecTV years ago and stuck with whatever was available on Amazon Prime. Money talks, and mine wants to say.... goodbye.

19. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    No, it'll never happen. The FCC denied this earlier as Dish was wanting to buy DIRECTV. In some places (Rural America) you're removing a competitor from the market place, i.e. 2 providers to 1.

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks for clarifying. When I first wrote that, I had no idea the reason. This is totally nuts, how AT&T can just charge any amount for a certain number of subscribers, Dish doesn't even have? That cannot be legal. You are right, that sure isn't fair. If people want to get HBO and have streaming, they can get it for the $15 a month.